PDA

View Full Version : I'm Just About To Give Up.

ColtonGG33
03-13-2013, 07:00 PM
My 225dx has been acting up ALoT lately, and its carb and throttle cable problems, here's what happening..
First I got a twist throttle for it which I really like, and when I put it on it started revving and idling really weird but I couldn't find out what's the problem, so today I lubed up the throttle cable, cleaned the carb really good ( I let the carb air dry) put it all back together, and now when I start it, it revs SO high, so high that it will probably blow up if I keep it on. I need some help figuring out what my problem is, I just feel like taking it to the dump right now and be over with it, but I'm gonna still try to figure it out, so any help please, please let me know

Thanks Colton

yaegerb
03-13-2013, 07:06 PM
It could be an air leak, idle screw improperly adjusted, slide in backwards or your cable is binding or improperly adjusted

90guy
03-13-2013, 07:16 PM
^^^ X2 on that slide I have done it not paying attention it could happen. And or air leak somewhere

struckran
03-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Lol i did this with my first 200x and it scared the trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro out of me when it started haha i had to take the slider out and give it a half turn.

ColtonGG33
03-13-2013, 07:27 PM
^ I'm not familiar with carbs much, where is the slide and what does it look like, and with adjusting the screw what I usually do is adjust it to where I idles right, can someone show me a pic of what a slide looks like, and is there a certaint way I should put it in or something, thanks so much for the responses

yaegerb
03-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Unscrew the cap and pull out the cylinder. The cylinder is your slide. Make sure it is in the correct way. You may have to turn it 180 degrees.

90guy
03-13-2013, 07:31 PM
Big notch goes toward idle screw small slit lines with little peg inside the carb.

ColtonGG33
03-13-2013, 07:45 PM
Ok I'm pretty sure I put it in right, I don't think there are any leaks, but there could be a possibility I put some stuff in wrong p

jfaulkner02
03-13-2013, 07:57 PM
Do you have a manual? If not, get one. The idle screw should be about 1 1/2 turns out. My guess is, the twist throttle is installed incorrectly, holding the throttle open.

ColtonGG33
03-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Ok I have it 2 1/2 out, I'm gonna try and get my old thumb throttle back on and see if that's the problem,thanks for all your guys help

JustEnough
03-14-2013, 09:48 PM
The problem might be a slide spring that is too short, or the slide spring is missing. My experience was with a Keihin PD carb, but it could probably happen to any round slide carb.

I had a problem where two different carbs would idle too high. If the slide is in backwards it would run at wide open throttle. This was different because it would drift up and down, mostly up, like the slide was floating in the carb body. After some parts swapping, I figured out that the spring I had in the slide was too short. I switched to a longer spring and it idles great now.

If the slide spring is too short or missing, the slide floats up causing a fast idle. One way to tell that the slide spring is too short is when you compress the spring to remove the slide from the cable, the cable end does not push out of the slot in the slide, you have to use a tool like a scratch awl to get the cable end out.

ColtonGG33
03-15-2013, 05:12 AM
Ok I don't think the spring is to short because it is a pain in the but to put the slide back together. If I can't figure the problem out I might just buy a new carb, I mean the carb is almost 30 years old or is 30 years old I'm not sure, but its old :) there is some internal chipping inside it so I should get a new one,

muthey
03-15-2013, 09:14 AM
now when you say adjusting the idle screw are you talking the actual idle screw or the idle air mix screw, there are both, the idle air is a screw on the bottom of the carb encased in a aluminum housing, and the idle screw is on the side. The idle factory setting is usually 1.7 turns out, but 1 1/2 is a good start on it, and the idle screw is where ever it idles at low rpm, but doesn't die. How in depth did you clean the carb, did you pull every jet and clean them all or did you just spray it out with carb cleaner?

struckran
03-15-2013, 08:49 PM
its a pain in the butt to put together if its backwards lol,, if the slider is in right then its easy..