PDA

View Full Version : Not looking for sympathy, just need to express...

MyMistress86R
03-14-2013, 07:11 PM
Monday evening my paternal grandmother (both grandpa's already gone and maternal grandma not all that healthy either) was admitted to the hospital under terminal life care after being found on the floor of her home by my father. I have always been extremely close with all my grandparents. Although, due to lifestyle and sheer geographical proximity, I have always felt closer to my father's parents. Both Gpa's served in WW2 (on the same island without meeting!!) and came from and were good ole strong country folk. Both made a living at farming although Gpa Mom primarily worked full time at the local GM plant. Gpa Mom was strong, supporting and quiet. Gpa Dad was strong, supporting and would lay it out like a sidewalk to you.

For some reason, my mom's parents always just seemed old while my dad's folks seemed so young and vibrant. With that, Gpa Dad died in '99 in his early 70's in about 10 minutes from a sudden, massive heart attack after having gotten his doctor's perfect bill of health just two days earlier and being out with my dad the night before . Gpa Mom beat a massive heart attack with quadruple bypass in the late 90s/early 2000s having worked 10hrs a day/6 days a week for GM for 30+ years (+ the farming) until prostate cancer snuck in and they caught it too late and he left us in 2008 in his early 80's at peace at home.

So then...Gma Dad has been found to be bleeding in the brain, not from stroke or aneurysm, just bleeding. At this point nearly 3/4 of the left half of her brain is saturated with blood and the pool is growing. Whatever happened caught her so suddenly that she didn't even have time to hit her Life Alert button (yes, it's a real service and it makes sense for older citizens). I had just been catching up with her Friday evening and other friends and family have confirmed various contact through Monday morning. A fuel delivery service confirmed contact at roughly 2:30pm Monday and my father found her around 4:30pm. She still had the fuel bill in her hand. She's 86 (87 in April) , walks with a walker and sits 3 feet from a 36" tv to see it because macular degeneration has taken her right eye and left only 35% of the left, BUT SHE WILL KICK YOUR ASS because she is 86 yrs of hard-working, kiss-my-ass country bred american woman.

After several doctor consultations and very emotional family discussions, it was agreed that there was no medical solution to the problem and she would not have wanted it anyway, as she had been ready to join Gpa Dad for more than long enough. There is absolutely no response to any stimulation of any form whatsoever. There is nothing in any way, shape or form that resembles a cognizant presence. She has not been on any form of artificial life support and will not be. We are living day by day waiting for the phone call that her body has finally decided to give up.

Herein lies my concern/problem...I visit her daily as my schedule allows, thinking this would be a short term issue. Why shouldn't it be, as the infirmity has already destroyed whatever might have been my Gma and there is ZERO chance of recovery at this point. Her body (shell) is being stubborn, which is ridiculous in and of itself because she had sugar problems and blood pressure problems and whatnot.

I find it harder and harder every day to go see her because it hurts more every time to see my super strong Gma wilting away to nothing and I really don't want those memories to be the way I remember her. I'm completely hating my life right now. Is she waiting for someone we aren't expecting to come see her before she goes? Is there something else she expects to happen to satisfy her life? Every minute of my life is consumed with this right now and this is the only place I felt comfortable even beginning to express my thoughts.

I know several, if not many, of you have dealt with a similar situation so my only hope is for understanding. Please do not offer condolences or offers for well wishes and/or prayers. We have all of that we can handle right now. If the desire prevails, silent thoughts and offers on your own terms will be appreciated and rewarded in whichever manner your belief sees fit. I thank you...my tipsy, tripedal, fanatical family...

Angore
03-14-2013, 07:23 PM
Her soul is still clinging to to the earths body .
When the man upstairs is ready he will take her soul home .

atc007
03-14-2013, 07:41 PM
My Friend. Your Pride and Love of these good ol folks in your life comes gleeming through your words. You know why. She's too damn tough and stubborn to go until she just can't fight any more. I'm torn of the same cloth. Except my WW2 generation was my Parents,not Grand. I lost my dad 11/19. And my Mom's kidneys and bowels shut down for 9 days straight. I care for her in our home. Hospice wrote her off,as did every one of us... She is still here fighting. I cancelled appointments and stayed home the day I called the family in. Back before Christmas. We talked long and deep. I said it looks like you are ready to step into Heaven,she said she was. But she is still here.. HOW? WHY ?? Heck if I know ! Remember the good times,,,,LAUGH ,with those who have gathered round you and your family now. Hold her hand and talk to her. SHE IS THERE. I have sat next to that bed more times than I can literally remember. She FEELS your presence. She will go when she is good and ready. Are they giving her Morphene yet? That usually speeds things right along. Stay strong,when you look back on this. You will be damn glad you put yourself through it.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-14-2013, 08:09 PM
Having good grandparents is one of the sweetest blessings that can be enjoyed by a human being.

I have 1 left.

Of the 3 that have passed on, 2 went slowly and 1 passed quickly and unexpectedly.

One of them who passed slowly suffered from cancer. I remember how difficult it became to spend time with her when the end was drawing near, especially when it seemed she was unaware that we were there. I remember the last time I saw her, I gave her a little hug and a kiss and told her I loved her, and even though she could not speak, she told me she loved me with her eyes. I remember that visit being petrified that I would be there when it happened. Over and over again, it seemed it was happening. She passed away the next day.

Now it's been a little over 10 years since then and I am thankful I was able to spend time with Grandma as much as I did before she left. All of the angst I felt then is gone, only gratitude that I was fotunate enough to make sure she knew I loved her and would miss her. Before she got bad, I stopped in and visited with her and her sister almost daily after work, sometimes just to have coffee and talk, many times getting a deck of cards out and having an old-school cut-throat game of pitch. It was then I discovered how seriously the older genration takes their card games!

I wasn't going to post in this thread, but reading your post a second time I realized that I know exactly what you are going through because it was the same for me.

Having lost loved ones both expectedly and slowly, and quick and unexpectedly I can't say wich way sucks more.

Stay by her side. You will be glad you did.

Cave Rider
03-14-2013, 08:13 PM
God bless you and your family. I hurt as I read your story. Life is such a beautiful thing. I wish there were more I could say other than hang tough and cherish your time. - Pat

MyMistress86R
03-14-2013, 08:59 PM
@atc007 - This is an official request that you never again post in any thread even closely related to something I have an interest in. Your input has thoroughly burnt my ass twice in as many hours now. I have zero concern right now about your divine ability. MY LOVED ONE HAS NO CHANCE OF EVER EVEN RECOVERING CONCIOUSNESS!!! What part of that did you miss?? My loss is having to watch the slow material degeneration of the flat out strongest woman I've ever had the pleasure to know. Learn to find the perspective before you bloat.

@RIDE-RED 250r - Thank you so very much for deciding to reply. I thank you for your understanding and rest assured that I will spend a portion of every single day of my life until the end and I will be there for that as well. I missed both my Gpa's last days/hours and I need to do this for me, regardless of the fear/pain it is sure to bring.

@Angore & Cave Rider - Thank you both for your gracious concern.

atc007
03-14-2013, 09:05 PM
Wow,I know you're in tough times. All I meant was she knows you're there. You completely misunderstood everything I tried to convey. And I sure as hell was not bloating. I am very sorry I upset you. Good luck.

MyMistress86R
03-20-2013, 12:35 PM
After a week and two days, the struggle is finally over. Gma passed quietly this morning to her very well deserved rest. God bless you Grandma!

RIDE-RED 250r
03-20-2013, 06:18 PM
The bittersweetness of the end of a loved one's suffering is difficult to grapple with. :(

I hope you are not offended by me saying, may God bless and comfort you and your family in your time of loss...