PDA

View Full Version : Help pull starter rips out of hand and hard to start.

nathanhooker
03-16-2013, 12:46 AM
I have a 1979 Honda atc110 the pull starter rips out of my hand every two or three pulls. Does anyone know why this is happening. How do you fix this issue. It is hard to to start, but once it starts it ides fine and has no issues running. Once you turn it off it almost never wants to start until it is cools down again. It then does the pull start ripping out of my hand thing. I have a new spark plug, new oil, new gas, carb cleaned, new air filter. Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions on why the pull starter is ripping out of my hands and why it is so hard to start and to get restarted? Thanks so much, Nathan

tri again
03-16-2013, 01:17 AM
Barring the really obscure, I'd check ignition timing if you can.
click on
service manual

There may be a spark advance plate around the cam that advances the timing.
It has 2 little springs that can break or the plate can get stuck in, say, an advanced position and kickback (rip the rope outta yer hands) and it may happen all the time or occasionally and the hot or cold factor may just be coincidence.

Why would it change after it cools is a great question I'll hafta think about.

ps - Sounds like it's trying to fire too soon the upstroke and man that Does hurt.
Try getting whacked in the shin when that happens with a kickstarter (NO don't)

You'll get it, we always do.

trike savior
03-16-2013, 08:24 AM
I agree with tri again it is definitely a timing issue.

and try being on the kickstarter when that happens. sheared the key on my 84 250r and went to kick it and it almost threw me off the bike when it fired against kickstart. I wasn't expecting that.

nathanhooker
03-16-2013, 11:55 AM
I'll check out the timing today and the advance plate out. Thanks for the fast reply's. I will let you guys know what I find out. Thanks again Nathan

manbearpig
03-16-2013, 11:59 AM
Better start eatin your wheaties!

briano
03-16-2013, 12:41 PM
Put down your purse, grab the handle, and give it a PULL.

83 200e
03-16-2013, 09:11 PM
good compression maybe :lol:

struckran
03-16-2013, 11:27 PM
common now I used to yank on my first 200 so hard it lifted the wheel off the ground. Then the rope snapped...
replaced with stronger smaller longer rope so i could just grab the handle on a cold day and run! she'd always start then...lol

ColtonGG33
03-16-2013, 11:47 PM
^^ that's what I used to do except my 3 wheeler would almost tip over from pulling it so hard, I bought a price of 1/8 inc wire and put it on but it did not work at all, so if I were u you I would get a medium thick strong regular rope and make sure you tie that sucker good ( 2 to 3 maybe even 4 knots depending how thin)

Badbmwbrad
03-17-2013, 08:43 AM
The ignition timing is too advanced. Service the mechanical timing advance plate at the ignition points.

Additionally, my experience with recoil pull-starters is as follows: Slowly pull out rope until piston travels just PAST TDC to the power-stroke. Then allow rope to recoil then pull the rope smartly to start engine.

This method allows a full 540 degrees of easy crankshaft revolution; enabling the rotating assembly to spin up and develop sufficient kinetic energy to easily drive itself through subsequent compression stroke without overloading the pull-starter rope/mechanism. Both your machine and shoulder will thank you by providing a long service life :)

I have a 1979 Honda atc110. The pull starter rips out of my hand every two or three pulls. Does anyone know why this is happening?