PDA

View Full Version : My other Hobbie

Matrix
03-18-2013, 09:49 AM
One of my other hobbies is guns. I also recently got into binary targets. This target is much bigger than tannerite and now that I have used this stuff, I will never use tannerite lol. I bought my brother 2.5lbs of this target for Christmas and when we shot if off in January my step dad half a mile down the road could feel the explosion. I bought three pounds of this stuff last week and this is the result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCZa8igE0Co&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is called a binary target. You mix two different substances (perfectly legal) and shoot it with a caliber .223 or larger and 2000fps or faster. This three pounds was a big enough explosion to knock a glass jar off my shelf and a globe from my ceiling fan, both shattered. I call that a win :D

Big Mike
03-18-2013, 10:59 AM
NICE!! That was sweet!!!

DasUberKraut
03-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Fun stuff! :beer

Scootertrash
03-18-2013, 11:58 AM
One of my other hobbies is guns. I also recently got into binary targets. This target is much bigger than tannerite and now that I have used this stuff, I will never use tannerite lol. I bought my brother 2.5lbs of this target for Christmas and when we shot if off in January my step dad half a mile down the road could feel the explosion. I bought three pounds of this stuff last week and this is the result.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCZa8igE0Co&feature=youtube_gdata_player

This is called a binary target. You mix two different substances (perfectly legal) and shoot it with a caliber .223 or larger and 2000fps or faster. This three pounds was a big enough explosion to knock a glass jar off my shelf and a globe from my ceiling fan, both shattered. I call that a win :D

So what is it called? Who makes it? Where do we get it??

Matrix
03-18-2013, 12:06 PM
So what is it called? Who makes it? Where do we get it??

It has no name, I have a connection to get it and it's not at you're local gun store, sorry lol.. I wish I could distribute it though. Its twenty dollars a pound to. I'll see if I can post some info about it.

El Camexican
03-18-2013, 12:08 PM
That was cool, and it didn't take you 20 shots to hit it like some videos out there.:lol:
I wonder how long it will be before someone out there does something reeeeealy stupid with this stuff?:wondering

Matrix
03-18-2013, 12:12 PM
That was cool, and it didn't take you 20 shots to hit it like some videos out there.:lol:
I wonder how long it will be before someone out there does something reeeeealy stupid with this stuff?:wondering

I'm glad you mentioned that lol.. I'm looking into doing ten pounds for independence day but that will be a MASSIVE explosion lol.. I have quite a bit if land back there as you guys can see, about 600 yards straight back but it gets turned into crop in the harvest months. If I do though, I'm going to get some serious recording on that.

Oh and if you listen closely you can hear me say "okay, a little low and a little left". My brothers asks was not sighted properly so I had to compensate for it.

atc007
03-18-2013, 02:27 PM
I sure don't see enough land there to safely do 10 lbs. You were 20 ft from digging finger sized splinters out of you on this one. Good luck !

El Camexican
03-18-2013, 02:39 PM
so I had to compensate for it.

10#!!!??? Are sure the wind is all you're compensating for there?;)

You crazy mothers do me a favor and don't blow your ear drums out.

atc007
03-18-2013, 03:06 PM
I think it's too late for that :)

Matrix
03-18-2013, 03:39 PM
I sure don't see enough land there to safely do 10 lbs. You were 20 ft from digging finger sized splinters out of you on this one. Good luck !

I'll measure it out today how much I have but this is the Fourth of July were talking about here! Its not some silly holiday like sweetest day or 4/20, its the fourth! But I also realise that's pretty dangerous I'll figure something out, I want to have a blast for the fourth, pardon the pun..

tri-Z ripper
03-19-2013, 12:00 PM
look up 32 pounds of binary meets fridge!

Scootertrash
03-19-2013, 12:26 PM
20.00 per lb?

First off, I am in no way connected to Tannerite nor do I profit from the sales of it. I have however disposed of my fair share of Tannerite.

The only way to tell if there is a difference is to do a side by side with 3 lbs of Tannerite and the mix from your "connection" then post the vid so we can see the difference.

The mixture your connection is selling has the same characteristics as Tannerite. There is a very narrow spectrum of chemicals you can mix together to achieve the same results and keep it as safe as Tannerite. Tannerite cannot be ignited by a pistol or other low velocity firearm, nor can it be ignited by a propane torch.

You can "enhance" tannerite in certain ways to make it more powerful that I won't go into here. If you search you may find out how. You can also make your own tannerite at home with legally purchased chemicals (or at least you used to until the Patriot Act), and neither will cost 20.00 a lb.

As a side note:

I would be extremely careful in dealing with manufacturing home made explosives yourself or purchasing them from another individual who manufactures them at home. The rules on purchasing the chemicals and manufacturing your own Tannerite and similar explosives and or your own fireworks are regulated by FEDERAL law thru the BATF, and there are limits on the quantities of certain chemicals that you can purchase in a year. The sellers of these chemicals also keep very good records per Federal law. If your connection is buying these chemicals and selling them, IIRC, he is violating Federal law by basically being a manufacturer without the appropriate licensing.

When you buy Tannerite, a copy of the BATF letter of approval is included in the package, at least it used to be the last time I bought some.

So, do what you will, but be careful. It's not worth getting a visit from the Feds, nor is it worth the loss of your guns and/or gun rights, let alone a nice stay in Club Fed and a VERY healthy fine.

Matrix
03-21-2013, 10:48 PM
20.00 per lb?

First off, I am in no way connected to Tannerite nor do I profit from the sales of it. I have however disposed of my fair share of Tannerite.

The only way to tell if there is a difference is to do a side by side with 3 lbs of Tannerite and the mix from your "connection" then post the vid so we can see the difference.

The mixture your connection is selling has the same characteristics as Tannerite. There is a very narrow spectrum of chemicals you can mix together to achieve the same results and keep it as safe as Tannerite. Tannerite cannot be ignited by a pistol or other low velocity firearm, nor can it be ignited by a propane torch.

You can "enhance" tannerite in certain ways to make it more powerful that I won't go into here. If you search you may find out how. You can also make your own tannerite at home with legally purchased chemicals (or at least you used to until the Patriot Act), and neither will cost 20.00 a lb.

As a side note:

I would be extremely careful in dealing with manufacturing home made explosives yourself or purchasing them from another individual who manufactures them at home. The rules on purchasing the chemicals and manufacturing your own Tannerite and similar explosives and or your own fireworks are regulated by FEDERAL law thru the BATF, and there are limits on the quantities of certain chemicals that you can purchase in a year. The sellers of these chemicals also keep very good records per Federal law. If your connection is buying these chemicals and selling them, IIRC, he is violating Federal law by basically being a manufacturer without the appropriate licensing.

When you buy Tannerite, a copy of the BATF letter of approval is included in the package, at least it used to be the last time I bought some.

So, do what you will, but be careful. It's not worth getting a visit from the Feds, nor is it worth the loss of your guns and/or gun rights, let alone a nice stay in Club Fed and a VERY healthy fine.

Very well said. I like your info. I will take you up on your offer before the fourth and post a comparison. This stuff is completely legal but I don't know what it is and the middle man I pay is trustworthy. I'll have to figure out how to test the blast aside from my opinion.

Scootertrash
03-23-2013, 10:18 AM
The 2 chemicals to make tannerite-like products are legally available to the general public.

I guess my main concern is with the manufacture AND sale of the product. The manufacturer of Tannerite is licensed to manufacture and sell Tannerite.

Individuals like you and I can purchase and use Tannerite legally......BUT if you mix it and then sell it to others to shoot (like they do at the Knob Creek shoot) without a license you are violating federal law, AND If you mix it and store it you are violating Federal law, if you mix it you must shoot it and not store it.

If the individual you are buying from is just buying then reselling you the 2 chemicals unmixed, it's very possible that he and you are not breaking any laws.

The recipe for home made tannerite is readily available on the interwebz. I won't post it on this forum tho. I have never made my own, but I have pondered it :naughty:

I haven't priced the chemicals, but my guess is you could make your own a lot cheaper than 20.00 per lb. ;)

I want everyone to have as much fun as possible and not end up in the Grey Bar Hotel ;)

poolieZerUK
04-11-2013, 08:33 AM
Coooool the UK is 5h1te we arent even allowed fire crackers to play with, nevermind guns and explosives!! Mandatory 7 years at her majestys pleasure for possession of anything like your other hobby.
Keep up the good work:lol:

Scootertrash
04-11-2013, 09:02 AM
They don't even let you guys play with knives anymore do they?

ps2fixer
04-20-2013, 10:29 AM
Here is another fun thing you *could* do, of course it is just as unsafe as mixing up your compound there so keep your head stright on this.

Simplely put, take an acetylene torch, light it, get it mixed perfect as if your going to cut metal with it and snuff out the flame. After the tip cools a bit (a few secs) fill up a baloon with the perfect mix gas. Place it in something you want to explode (my dad has a stainless cannon, 14 inch for the few of these he has made :O), and use a good fuse, and PLENTY of it. To put it simply, the car's windsheild went over 100 feet, blew open the passenger side door, all windows blown out, door pannels completely missing and the roof went from a normal rounded top to a "V" top lol. That was with around a 2 foot around baloon though. When this stuff goes off, it is just a flash and a loud bang, not really any smoke. BTW, the car was a junker scrap car and the event was nearly 20 years ago that I talked about. The "cannon" has shot a 14 inch room over 300 feet into the woods around the same time too. The "mix" is critical, back then he manually mixed it off the tanks just guessing, so being a perfect mix is even more dangous! Think of how small an engine is how how much power you get out if it, now think if it had pure o2 + fuel, yea you get the idea.

Warning... no smoking, sparks, etc ^.^