PDA

View Full Version : Honda Advance pulse generator- How do I get it set right with no tools?

CodyRosa
03-19-2013, 12:52 AM
Hey everyone, I'm not sure what the part is but its for the ignition on the top of the motor. Its a round plate light thing with a black box on it with the 2 wires coming off it. Well when I took my motor apart I took that off :/ So how does that go on? Also for the part that spins on the camshaft (other part of pulse generator) that only goes on the shaft one way.. and that's exactly 180 degrees from the 0 on the cam sprocket(everything's timed right by the way)

So basically does anybody know a way I can do this without a timing light or whatever it is?

Thanks

I will be posting pictures tomorrow its just to late right now.

tri again
03-19-2013, 12:57 AM
you mean like on a 185 or 200 Honda?
All I remember is the ohmage wants to be 19 or 20.

do you have a

service manual

?

If I knew, I'd certainly tell you but someone will chime in soon.

CodyRosa
03-19-2013, 01:42 AM
I have a clymers, I'm gonna look at it tomorrow but I thought maybe a little advice would be nice before a clymers. Its a 185 bottom and 200m top.

CodyRosa
03-19-2013, 01:25 PM
165532165533165534 It might not look timed from the picture but the timing is correct. Lined up the T and the o. As you see the one part is exactly 180 degrees from the o which should be fine. My real question is that plate with the black box. I just screwed it in right there but that should be wrong. Where abouts should it be? Can someone put a picture of there 200 pulse generator?

Thanks

kb0nly
03-19-2013, 02:04 PM
Ok, the pickup coil, the plate with the black box on it, should go on with the black pickup coil at the top center, just center it and loosely tighten the screws, you will have to adjust that relative to the advancer part that spins on the camshaft. Now take the plug out above the recoil and slowly turn over the motor and line up the T mark with the indicator mark, just like you did to set it to TDC to put the timing chain back on. The spark advancer should have the end with the line on, the magnet side, facing the pickup coil, the black box. Now if you look at the two of them the pickup coil and the advancer both have a center line on them, so with the motor at T (TDC) loosen the screws holding the pickup mounting plate and turn that to match the mark on the advancer then tighten it down. You shouldn't have to go very far to the left or right of center with the pickup coil, if you do then your cam isn't timed right. If the advancer is off 180 degrees then you have your cam off 180, if its only off to the left or right say 10-20 degrees you might be off a chain link or two on your cam timing. Either of those are wrong and your going to have to tear it back down and rotate the cam or jump the chain. If your cam is off 180 just remove the camshaft sprocket bolts and turn just the cam and not the sprocket or chain and then reinstall the bolts. Timing these takes a few tries to learn.

kb0nly
03-19-2013, 02:06 PM
Ok, first off i just looked at your new pics... Your camshaft is off 180 degrees, your camshaft sprocket is timed correctly, but your cam is off 180.

Your pickup coil is mounted on there correctly in your third picture, just needs to be adjusted to match the advancer after installing as i just described.

CodyRosa
03-19-2013, 02:20 PM
Ok im going to go switch that cam 180 right now, then hopefully get this timing correct! Thanks Kbonly.. Again your a life saver haha

CodyRosa
03-19-2013, 02:49 PM
165541 Ok i swapped it 180. Now it looks right lol. The o matches the v notch in the head cover and the T is lined up with l. That advancer is a little to the left, not much though. Just re read your post about that advancer.. if its off a little the sprocket might be off a tooth or two.. well everything looks lined up perfectly so would it still be a tooth or two off??

Did the wrong pic at first. I can't delete that thumbnail so its the one on top

CodyRosa
03-19-2013, 11:20 PM
Ok sorry to keep replying but I was watching a video and got confused.. am I lining anything up with the F? I've been doing the T only. If it's only T then I should be able to get it easily. Just get that Advancer straight in line with the notch and then the black box line straight with the line on the advancer and it should be good to go?

Hopefully I get my recoil tomorrow(thanks weezy!) and I can start er up =)

Also I got brand new gaskets on the top end with new O rings... now do I have to "break it in" ? Or is that when you get a new piston only? I'm guessing ride for 15minutes to warm up, let it cool off do it again at half throttle, cool down etc.?

Sorry for so many question but its all appreciated =)

Thanks everyone!!

kb0nly
03-20-2013, 01:00 AM
Ok now your right, your not off much, its pretty normal for them to be a bit off center one way or another, depends on wear and the condition of the springs on the advancer. The F is the firing position of the motor, this doesn't mean that you should line up the advancer to the F mark, the way you have it now is correct. As the advancer passes the pickup coil the plug will fire after its past, so as it rotates to F thats when it would fire just a bit past TDC, which then burns the fuel and forces it back around, if it fired as it came up to TDC then it couldn't continue to roll past TDC and make the next revolution. Does that make sense? LOL

Just adjust your pickup so that the line on it matches the line on your advancer and your golden..

Unless you replaced the rings and honed the cylinder, i don't recall if you did or not, you shouldn't have to worry about breaking in.

CodyRosa
03-20-2013, 02:01 AM
Thank you Kbonly!!!!! Simple enough to just throw that on.. that dumb F confused me haha.. and Yup your explanation makes perfect sense!

Nope same rings, same piston. Awesome i'll still take it easy for the first 15 minutes AND then hammer on it lol :p

thank you again, i'll post pics when that recoils on.

kb0nly
03-20-2013, 01:04 PM
Oh ok this is the one you posted about that needed a recoil, part of that parts grab you got was it? Is this the 200 that you put the different top end on?

CodyRosa
03-20-2013, 01:59 PM
Yup =) This was the 200x I got awhile back. Tore it down to the frame and got a lot of new parts for it. Now its a 185 bottom with 200m top sense I got sand in the bearings of that 200. You live and you learn.. i learned to NEVER sandblast a motor haha. Its taken usps 3 days now to get from st paul to finlayson.. and its out for delivery and they STILL DID NOT deliver it today lol.. there such a joke, hate them all.

kb0nly
03-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Ok, i figured thats what you were up to, sometimes my memory fails me though... LOL

That St Paul sort center is slower than slow... When my packages go through other sort centers i usually get it the next day, with St Paul it takes forever and then they finally get it to the destination post office, i have had it show its out for delivery and not get it til the next day also. Really gets ya anxious!

CodyRosa
03-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Nope the idiots sent it to my old address.. it would have taken over a week to get it if i didn't' go there in person. I started it up on 2nd pull today.. carb leaked, petcock leaked, head cover leaked (fixed now) and it mad a noise like change rattling.. Thinks its some washers I have in the back though.. i hope so lol

kb0nly
03-21-2013, 12:30 AM
Make sure to check your valve clearances if its rattlin... LOL

At least it started, leaks can be fixed.

CodyRosa
03-21-2013, 12:48 AM
Yea the valves were an issue at first lol.. got those fixed.. man oh man you could stick 2 quarters under them LOL. That's what I actually thought was the problem but nope, I'll check it out tomorrow.