PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had a GPS glitch before?

yamaha225dr
03-19-2013, 03:44 PM
I was just reading a thread where a few members posted top speed readings of there trikes using a GPS and it reminded me of something that happened to me! My friend is one of those people that exaggerates everything and thinks that whatever he owns is the best! He is a good friend, just a little annoying at times. Well, at this time I owned an 07 400ex and he had just bought a brand new 700xx and we went on a ride together one day. He was riding on cloud nine cause he finally had the fastest quad out of our friends. After doing a few top speed runs there was no doubt in my mind that quad would run in the mid 70mph range but he was convinced it was much faster! Well, I just so happened to have my trusty old GPS on me that day and I told him to make a run down the road and another back to see what it said. This was on asphalt on a 90 degree day with hardly no wind. Well he makes the two runs and comes back with this huge grin on his face, the GPS reading showed 100mph right on the money! Talk about mad, I wanted to kill the thing! I tried to get him to make another run but all I kept hearing was "GPS doesn't lie!" This was the same GPS I used on my other quads and never once had a problem but on this particular day it decided to make me look like a fool and he told everyone he had a 100mph bone stock ATV! It still aggravates me to this day!

plastikosmd
03-20-2013, 07:40 AM
When driving to Boston once my car was navigating under the English channel. Humorous at first, I was quite lost and needed the gps/nav to work. Pita

kb0nly
03-20-2013, 01:01 PM
Let him keep telling everyone he has a 100mph atv... Everyone will think hes dumb anyway... LOL

vegas250rr
03-21-2013, 07:45 PM
I use GPS as a land surveyor almost every day... they do have their moments. and I have experienced exactly the same thing with my Garmin hand held from time to time. It happens when there is either poor satellite geometry (satellites blocked by the rider himself, or obstructions) or when there is just not enough of them in orbital view at the time the measurements were taken. Most hand helds with track a location with 3, but for an accurate fix you'll need at minimum of 6.

food for thought

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n194/youngberg1/work/69a.jpg