PDA

View Full Version : trike comparrison 86 250es

xela456
03-19-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm the proud owner of an 86 250es.
Its totally stock. And totally unmollested as far as the motor goes.
This is the only atc I've ever owned and I'm only wondering
How does it stack up to others? Power? Trail-worthiness? Maneuverability?
I want your proffesional opinions!

tri again
03-20-2013, 01:04 AM
Hey there.
If the 86 is like the 87, the important difference is the cam chain tensioner.

I'm sure there is a thread and someone will chime in.

Great machines. IF I could buy anything at all to get around, ride, work, haul stuff? it would be a big red, from 85-87.
Feels like riding a limo compared to hard tail but I keep a couple of those around because they are extremely cool mud machines.

See if you can find the orig sales brochures and spec sheets on the front page.
Fun to read.

rcurtis16
03-20-2013, 06:05 AM
86 is far better then 85 in my opinion, way more power, first year for a rev limiter, also why the liquid cooled 250r in 85 and 86 have ccompletly different power, i found tho, the 85 can wheelie without popping the clutch better on its own then 86. 86 is still a far better bike then 85, but both can take a good beating before needing work, i drove my dads 86 for 3 years, just being hard on it and not thinking, and she still runs better then my 85 with a new top end. our 86 has never been taken about, only thing ever done was oil changes, and carb drained, and new plug. it had original factory battery, and headlight bulb till 3 years ago

dougspcs
03-20-2013, 07:26 AM
Curtis, I'm afraid some of your facts are whack..

The 85/86/87 250ES all had exactly the same engine..there were no changes made to account for your claim the 86 had 'way more power'. All three years have the exact same torque, HP and gear ratios..

The only explaination for your feeling that the 86 was more powerful is that any 85 you must have engine or carb issues..

Also, there was never a rev limiter on the 250ES..

The improvement applied to the 86 model were minor engineering changes such as improved rear brake design to keep water out, improved cam tensioner design, addition of a helmet holder..etc. No major updates like the changes from the 84 to the 85 250r as you suggest.

xela456
03-20-2013, 07:28 AM
if i can figure out how to post pics from my phone i will. Mine lacks a few things from the factory, the front rack and headlight were the casualty of a rollover, plus a pretty good bend of the bars. The rear fenders have been cut out in front of the wheels (all of this has been prior to my ownership). I had to axe the original tank also when it started leaking. The tank doesnt really bother me, but with the lack of rear fenders it really starts to make my legs cold and wet after a long ride.
i use to think i wanted to trade it off for something with 4 wheels, until i really didsome hard trail riding with some of those hulking 4 wheelers. they couldnt keep up!one question though. tell me if this is a hairbrain scheme, but has anybody ever tried filling the front tire with some heavy liquid? only reason is like when im moving my boat around the yard, turning in thick mud, or just trying to park on the slick garage floor the front doesnt seem to stick very well. is this something you've ever heard of?

dougspcs
03-20-2013, 07:38 AM
I'm the proud owner of an 86 250es.
Its totally stock. And totally unmollested as far as the motor goes.
This is the only atc I've ever owned and I'm only wondering
How does it stack up to others? Power? Trail-worthiness? Maneuverability?
I want your proffesional opinions!

In answer to your question 'xela'..awesome trike as the others have said.

A bit of careful decision about tires and you have a machine almost as capable as any 4x4 out there on the trails..in fact you may find it easier in some heavy mud environments as it is considerably lighter than a modern quad. They turn closer so you can get between the trees easier and if set up right can climb a rock trail like a mountain goat..you'll love this machine!

My brother, (dman) also new to the 3ww, and I go north in the spring for a poker run and regularly pass the 'big guys' on the trail because their big heavy brutes are all bogged down and it take 4 people to get them out..

!
http://youtu.be/B6rc-pvcvEs

xela456
03-20-2013, 07:58 AM
In answer to your question 'xela'..awesome trike as the others have said.

A bit of careful decision about tires and you have a machine almost as capable as any 4x4 out there on the trails..in fact you may find it easier in some heavy mud environments as it is considerably lighter than a modern quad. They turn closer so you can get between the trees easier and if set up right can climb a rock trail like a mountain goat..you'll love this machine!

My brother, (dman) also new to the 3ww, and I go north in the spring for a poker run and regularly pass the 'big guys' on the trail because their big heavy brutes are all bogged down and it take 4 people to get them out..

!
http://youtu.be/B6rc-pvcvEs

i may have misled i'm not exactly a "new" owner of the trike, i've actually been a rider since 08 but i do have a question about front tires now that you mention it what i have on the fron is a goodyear wrangler (original equipment) with about 7 plugs in. what is the best replacement for the front since its not much of a traction situation on the rear i've got a pair of cheng shins. i've only ever been stuck once that i can remember, in a silted in creek bed. my thread really stems from this being the only trail machine i;ve ever known, never rreally been on a 4 wheeler in the thicket. what are the advantages over 4 wheels?

is that the water-cooled version your on in that video?