PDA

View Full Version : '84 Honda 200s crankcase oil suggestions?

ice man cometh
03-22-2013, 04:21 PM
Hey All,

Looking for some insight on the best oil for my Honda. So far I'm very happy with this purchase, but only ridden it 6 times. Looks as if the machine was ridden a lot thru the years, but seems well taken care of, and garage stored based on little rust. Starts well, idles well when warm, doesn't stall and goes thru the gears well. No smoke or leaks. Don't know if any top end work was ever done. But the oil is pretty much black, and needs changing (awhile ago!).
Any suggestions on motor oil for this Honda? Is any one better that the other?

THANKS!

ezmoney1979
03-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Fabio, you have been summoned:beer

Jfm0
03-22-2013, 05:34 PM
We use Schaeffer Supreme 7000 15w40 in our three wheelers. We've used almost all of them over the years in our race cars and we've found this to be the best. It's $28 a gallon and you have to get it from a distributor, but for air cooled motors you can't beat it in my opinion. I would also suggest putting 3 or4 ounces of Seafoam in the crankcase and running it for 10 minutes before you change the oil, just make sure the oil level is a little low before you put it in.

dougspcs
03-22-2013, 05:57 PM
Be careful not to displease the Fabio!! The OIL man cometh!!!

dougspcs
03-22-2013, 06:02 PM
Seriously though 'iceman' we aren't ragging on you..a while back there is a member here that got into a rant about the number of oil threads there are. We like to poke fun at him!

To answer your question and keep is simple without the millions of other opinions that exist on the oil subject..

A 10w40 oil with wet-clutch compatiblilty is great..

tri again
03-23-2013, 05:57 AM
Change it a couple times with whatever the
service manual
says.
Maybe a couple cheap 10-40 changes, like an hour run time, and finish it off with
wet clutch oil.

Get a neodymium magnet and put it on the drainplug.

WoW, I'd be afraid to admit that I ran a 'new' machine with god knows what oil in it.
These guys can get brutal.
I got a new es that the gas valve leaked and diluted the engine oil.
Coulda been catastrophic. High oil level is just as scary as low.

Congrats, btw.
Sure is nice when they run good.

barnett468
03-23-2013, 06:37 AM
Hello

Cam failures are most typically caused by using oils without the proper amounts of zddp. It’s an additive that contains zinc and phosphorous, which is specifically designed for use in all non roller cam 4 stroke motors. If you have been using regular automotive full mineral based motor oil like valvoline, penzoil etc this will cause premature wear on a non roller cam. The best anti wear protection is provided by oils containing levels of zzdp in the 1800ppm range. These are found in most full mineral based automotive racing motor oils like Valvoline VR1. The problem started when the oil mfgs began reducing the levels of zddp in their oils to keep up with the increasingly stringent EPA standards after the advent of the catalytic converter. The zddp contaminates the convertor. The problem is that they never told the general public so you think you are buying the same old school valvoline you were 30 years ago but your not.

Nowadays there is a myriad of different oils to choose from ie synthetic “blends” “full synthetics etc. They have also created a new school additive to replace the traditional zddp one. The synthetics provide xlnt protection but have actually been determined to be too “slippery” for some applications. If you use a synthetic I recommend you use one designed for use in a wet clutch motorcycle.

Valvoline motorcycle oil

http://www.valvoline.com/products/brands/valvoline/motorcycle-atv-oil/13

MSDS

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/4_stroke_motorcycle.pdf

From Tri Again

"Change it a couple times with whatever the service manual service manual says."

Simple safe sound advice Tri Again.

Hope this info helps.

ice man cometh
03-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Thanks Guys,

Wanted to make sure I'm getting started the best way I can!
-Ice man

jermtoad
04-07-2013, 08:51 PM
I use regular valvoline 10/40 but i change it all the time about every other ride i like the shell rottella 15/40 but was not aware of the zddp facter i think im gonna switch up myself o and dont run synthetic made that mistake once

Cornholio
04-07-2013, 10:02 PM
Yamaha lube 10 w40 in my 200s