PDA

View Full Version : '87 t3 pre-restoration build

Overponder
03-23-2013, 04:19 PM
Hi guys,just seeking a bit of advice from tecate owners on these boards,I'm gonna strip my t3 downas soon as it gets warmer over here,just wondering what people do to the swingarms,is the best result -polished,powder coated,anodised?, also the wheels -can anything be done to the standard wheels to bling them up a bit? Are there any companies making interesting aftermarket parts like ESR and BDT do for the 250r,also has anybody tried to change the finish on a DG pipe? I was thinking of trying to get it chromed or ceramic coated,any help would be most appreciated,thanks.

rocco
03-23-2013, 04:36 PM
i think anodized swing would be sweet.polished looks awesome but if you ride it would be hard to keep clean.good luck and post some pics

ezmoney1979
03-23-2013, 05:26 PM
Here is my stock swing arm that has been extended 4''. Before you can polish the stock parts (forks, wheels, etc.) you have to strip the factory clear coat off of them. I use aircraft cleaner or paint stripper.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/2010197.jpg

Falloutboy recently had his DG pipe powder coated and it came out great.

barnett468
03-23-2013, 10:10 PM
Hello Overponder

Nice to see you back again, it’s a good idea on your part to post this as a separate topic as you have as opposed to asking it within your previous thread regarding a different subject dated 3-3 2013. Many more people will see it this way and you should get more helpful suggestions than you did before.

I simply reposted your original question and my original reply below in case you don't remember it and also because I have nothing new to add.

“Hi barnett468, thanks for the reply-the tecate I have is on its original rubber,it's just there a bit worn,I would like to bling the old girl up a bit,I'm gonna get the frame powder coated amongst other bits,I understand the swingarm is aluminium on these,any knowledge of these been polished up by anyone? Also wheel rims-can they've polished or is it new Douglas rims I see on the mint tecate pictures on here? Ive read some of your replies on here-you had one cool job-my regards to you,thanks.”

“Good to hear back from you, here's the info I know regarding your question. All major aluminum parts on all bikes, trikes, cars, etc have a clear protective coating on them from the factory. It is best to remove this coating before polishing. Some polishing shops will send it out for you before they polish it. Once removed of this protective coating all aluminum parts will quickly oxidized whether polished or not and need to be maintained on a regular basis to protect the "bare" surface.

Some people have the parts recoated ie either anodizing or cad plating don't remember which. Do not clear coat them with clear paint, clear paint is porous.

There is another process that I personally would have done instead of polishing because it looks exactly like polished aluminum but is more durable and or just simpler to do. I would have all original clear coat removed then have all surfaces smoothed, then have them dipped in a material that is called "brite dip". Every piece of aluminum on your car that looks highly polished, almost looks like chrome, is actually dipped. It is not quite as bright as chrome so it wouldn't look "cheesy"

After seeing your honda I would do all the aluminum on the bike this way ie fork tubes, triple clamps, motor mount bkt’s, brake calipers, carb, maybe side cases etc.”

Hope this info helps

Overponder
03-24-2013, 12:59 AM
Hi Barnett, thanks for your info again,I contacted a firm over here that does bright dipping and they won't touch aluminium,he says it will probably turn it into scrap-but he wasn't the most helpful person in the world so I may try another firm if I can find one,thanks.

Overponder
03-24-2013, 01:03 AM
Hi ezmoney, thanks for the reply,your swingarm looks real nice,I think I'll just polish mine also,the trikes only gonna be a garage queen so it will look good that way,any ideas on the wheels?

Overponder
03-24-2013, 01:05 AM
Thanks rocco,it's just gonna sit I my garage hopefully looking pretty,so I think polished is the way,cheers.

barnett468
03-24-2013, 02:01 AM
Hi Barnett, thanks for your info again,I contacted a firm over here that does bright dipping and they won't touch aluminium,he says it will probably turn it into scrap-but he wasn't the most helpful person in the world so I may try another firm if I can find one,thanks.

Hello Overponder

POLISHING - Sounds like you have a plan now, you did say you had an ocd regarding polishing anyway, lol. It won;t take much to keep it clean.

BRITE DIPPING - Sorry that guy is as you described. The process was invented for ALUMINUM. As I previously mentioned automotivrv manufacturers use this process, see link below.

http://www.alltrim.com/process.html

Overponder
03-24-2013, 07:52 AM
Hi Barnett,thanks for link-looks a good process,I'm just gonna get them polished,there's a polishing shop nearby,do you know if the wheels are made of aluminium on my bike? They are standard wheels-just wondered if they will be able to be polished up as well,thanks

barnett468
03-24-2013, 08:54 AM
Hello Overponder

Yes the original wheels are aluminum.

barnett468
03-24-2013, 08:56 AM
Hello

Sorry forgot to answer the other question. Yes they will polish to a near chrome like shine but they are also coated as mentioned above.

Overponder
03-24-2013, 01:05 PM
Hi Barnett, thank you your a good source of information,many thanks