PDA

View Full Version : New Toy, Mini Metal Lathe

bkm
03-24-2013, 09:44 AM
165914 This isn't a pic of mine because I'm too lazy to upload it so I stole it from google, but its identical. I have been looking for some time and guys were wanting crazy money for them and then this one popped up so I jumped on it. I found it on craigslist for 300 bones. Now I need to learn how to use it and find time to play with it. Lots of little projects running through my head right now.

just ben
03-24-2013, 10:00 AM
Great little tool to have. I have had mine for a little over a year and have made several bushings, shafts and other small parts.Well worth the investment. That looks to be their 4x12 model? If you need the set up manual you can download it free from grizzley (they are the same machines)

jeswinehart
03-24-2013, 10:08 AM
I believe that is what I paid for mine too. And like you BKM, it took quite awhile before I found the right priced one. A friend tipped me off on mine.
I primarily use it for flywheel work but have done a couple of other projects with it. I reversed my jaws so they would open up wide enough to grab the area on Tecate flywheels needed.
I had virtually no experience with lathes so it has been interesting learning by the seat of my pants so too speak.

blue27
03-24-2013, 10:16 AM
I picked up a Smithy for 550 this year of CL and love it, not much experience but friends and neighbors that do,lol. Makes fabing up the small stuff so much easier then running to a machine shop. You will find alot of stuff that you can do with it.

atc007
03-24-2013, 10:24 AM
Man,,am I jealous of ALL of you !! Great thread. I too have been toying around with the thought of picking one up someday and have watched cl a little bit. Will have to get serious sometime and get one.

bkm
03-24-2013, 10:42 AM
Its the Harbor Freight 7x10 model that I will eventually convert to a 7x14 with a bed swap. You guys need to check this site out if you haven't already.http://www.littlemachineshop.com/default.php?Source=Google&gclid=CLHpyvDJlbYCFYpDMgod3j0ALA

I actually got really lucky on this one. He listed it thursday for $400 and I decided it was just a little more than I wanted to pay, friday he dropped it to $350 and I decided that I was going to call him saturday afternoon after I woke up. I woke up around 5pm and checked craigslist to get his # and he dropped it another $50 to 300. First time that has ever happened. Total cool guy. he bought it new to make plastic threaded pvc couplers for his hot tub business, but now can buy the couplers cheaper than he can make them for.

JasonB
03-24-2013, 11:25 AM
Awesome new equipment bkm! I want one, I can think of a half dozen projects right now even!

Dirtcrasher
03-24-2013, 12:10 PM
I used one for 3 years working with a toolmaker.

The only weakness was the tool holder. Be nice if it were longer but to be honest, You really don't need it longer too much and they are compact.

I want a SouthBend heavy 10 very soon!! Time to ditch the older SouthBend.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/28SBlathe.jpg

Thats my current 1922 SB

Scootertrash
03-24-2013, 12:14 PM
I've got an older Atlas 6 inch lathe with a 3 ft bed on it, along with a bunch of accessories, i.e. boring bar, reverse jaws, thread cutting gears, etc.. Tool holders and accessories are still widely available since Atlas made the identical machine for Craftsman back in the day. Awesome tool to have in the garage. I've made shims, spacers, bushings, all sorts of small parts that are discontinued or outrageously priced.

Looks a lot like this, with out all the rust :P

09RappySE
04-05-2013, 09:19 AM
Great tool, I have a 7x14 as well...started out making parts for my R/C hellies, but have also done some stuff for the bikes too....I also have access to 4 4 axis CNC's at work for the bigger stuff......:D

Worden18
04-05-2013, 11:28 AM
Very cool. I worked in the machine tool and die biz for many years. So you guys new to engine lathes listen up. No jewelry, gloves, neckties, long shirts, or any other dangling things that can get caught in the chuck. And faster is not always better. Harder metals many times require a low speed and a medium feed, depending on your insert. Take the time to do a little research before taking that first cut. Have fun :)

Dirtcrasher
04-05-2013, 11:17 PM
Yes, Make sure to never search "lathe accident".

It's not good and makes you think twice.

A gear head lathe will shred you to pieces, mine would probably just cut me up and break some fingers......

I hope!!

bkm
04-06-2013, 01:10 PM
Good advise guys thanks. I ordered my quick change adjustable tool post holder and knurling attachment. I have been bidding on some lots of preshaped HSS tool bits, but they go for stupid prices. I have about ten 5/16 HSS blanks so I might just make my own with my grinder. I'd really love to have some already done by an old pro, but I guess there is only one way to learn.