PDA

View Full Version : The power of understanding english

just ben
03-26-2013, 04:13 PM
I have been having an issue with paypal for the past few months,It seems when I closed my bank account I was no longer "verified". Not being verified puts a 10,000.00 spending limit on the account. I had called paypal several times only to reach offshore call centers That only speak broken english and are not helpful beyond what their computer screen says to do. Just because they can speak a little english doesn't mean they understand it.I decided to give it one last try today to resolve the issue,so I called paypal once again and much to my surprise I was connected to a stateside call center with english speaking people!! I explained the situation and was expecting the same run around but much to my surprise, the man on the other end said : no problem Mr.Meyer. You have been a customer for 9 yrs,we have all your info,you have a paypal debit card,there is no reason for you to have a spending limit on your account. It was that easy and took less than 2 min. All because we speak the same language. I am now free to blow my $$ again on stuff I probably don't need anyway lol.

El Camexican
03-26-2013, 04:50 PM
I've always have an easy time dealing with Paypal. Can't say enough good things about them, glad to hear it worked out.

69HemiGTX
03-26-2013, 07:21 PM
It's that way with nearly everything. Most companies are just trying to save a buck and cut costs where they can because they are either A: viewed as evil for trying to turn a profit, or B: viewed as a limitless piggy bank by unions. Being in the Army and stationed in Korea, it can be difficult at times just working with administrative services. The Army likes to keep host countries happy, so nearly every admin office here is staffed by Koreans. Yes, they speak English, and a lot of them do so very well, but there are still a lot who just aren't very good, and when they get frustrated, they feign ignorance. Sorry adashi, but you are required to be fluent in English to be a DA civilian employee.

just ben
03-26-2013, 11:51 PM
I've always have an easy time dealing with Paypal. Can't say enough good things about them, glad to hear it worked out.It's not really so much about paypal as it is about the shitty service I have to deal with because greedy companies would rather pay wages for an offshore employee than pay min.wage and keep their own country afloat. Being in mexico you probably get a u.s based call center for any company you call and we get mexican operators hahaha

brapp
03-28-2013, 01:33 PM
try havign mexicans do trafic control and letitgn cars go trough a work zone when were crossign eqiuipment or iunloading 5,000 lb mats and a cor comign around the other side fo the truck just cause they know a few words doesnt mean they understand thoer responcibilities.

ATC-Eric
03-28-2013, 01:42 PM
I had a dealing with Sprint a couple months ago. I got so worked up with getting transferred to so many different "english" speaking departments, I got to the point where I demaned to speak to someone whos first language was english. Those outsourced companies are pretty crazy, they give thier employees english names, and even try to teach accent/dialact.

Answering the phone all like "Hi this is BOB how can I help you?" But I know better!!!!!

DasUberKraut
03-28-2013, 02:02 PM
I gave up years ago trying to deal with customer service reps. As soon as they answer the call I demand to talk to someone that can speak PROPER English. If they give me the run around I keep calling back until I succeed.

Press 1 for English, my trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro.

bkm
03-28-2013, 03:35 PM
try havign mexicans do trafic control and letitgn cars go trough a work zone when were crossign eqiuipment or iunloading 5,000 lb mats and a cor comign around the other side fo the truck just cause they know a few words doesnt mean they understand thoer responcibilities.http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/3749645566_DoYouSpeakEnglish_answer_4_xlarge_zps8d f7e327.gif

Tri-Z 250
03-28-2013, 03:52 PM
I believe the offshore support has bitten enough large Co's; that they now feel it wasn't worth the fiscal gains of cheaper labor. Customer Service plays a huge role in the gains of any small to midsize Corp. Honestly I believe thats why call centers were never located in West Virgina...it's English but getting past the him-n-haw takes a sharp ear. These Indy Joe's are just as bad and only know what the screen infront of them says to convey(no out of the box practiality).

bkm
03-28-2013, 03:59 PM
I believe the offshore support has bitten enough large Co's; that they now feel it wasn't worth the fiscal gains of cheaper labor. Customer Service plays a huge role in the gains of any small to midsize Corp. Honestly I believe thats why call centers were never located in West Virgina...it's English but getting past the him-n-haw takes a sharp ear. These Indy Joe's are just as bad and only know what the screen infront of them says to convey(no out of the box practiality).Kinda like some of those in this very thread that can't type the "Kings English"?

Scootertrash
03-28-2013, 08:01 PM
Kinda like some of those in this very thread that can't type the "Kings English"?

:lol:

maybe if it's your first language it's OK to butcher it?? :wondering

ETA:The Kings English. I like that!

just ben
03-28-2013, 10:02 PM
Kinda like some of those in this very thread that can't type the "Kings English"?Just download the Brappenese translater lol.