PDA

View Full Version : 86 250sx shift issues

CT250sx
03-26-2013, 04:49 PM
hey guys,i have an 85 and 86 250sx. i was riding last week and I couldnt get into reverse, then it would pop out of gear, then not go into gear without repeated shifting, then not find neutral , so I got towed home and changed the oil, same problems. it would occasionally go into gear after many attempts but then pop out.

today i removed the left side case. the pin behind the shift shaft was loose but only barely, i tightened it up. the shift shaft is straight, i checked the bolts i could see and buttoned it all up. I thought because the pin was loose then i had the issue fixed but its doing the same thing still. any ideas? i assume its still something under the left case, well i sure hope it is.

rcurtis16
03-26-2013, 07:12 PM
there is a spring on the shift drum on the left side of the case, might be the problem, also when it doesnt go in gear when you shift, just lift the shifter up a little, and if its kicking back on your foot in a jerking motion, the little pieces behind the teeth that the shift hooks into is probly your issue

rcurtis16
03-26-2013, 07:13 PM
try checking behind the teeth first before pulling the case apart

CT250sx
03-26-2013, 09:19 PM
teeth are ok

mooseknuckle
03-26-2013, 09:34 PM
I was similar problems, it turned out to be so simple i over looked it. Was just stripped oit splines on shifter AND shift shaft. I'm sure you checked that but just throwing it out there. Sometimes we over think and don't notice the simple stuff.

CT250sx
03-27-2013, 09:51 AM
thanks guy, the splines are good. Im thinking ill take that case off again and investigate again soon. this sucks

mooseknuckle
03-27-2013, 09:57 AM
Good luck, let us know what you find.

tri again
03-28-2013, 09:18 AM
Try search as 'shift' or sx shift
or shift linkage.
Quite a few of us went thru this last year and FW posted some great pix.

My precious daughters beautiful 85 sx had a similar problem.

There are 2 (TWO) threaded pins.
The one you found loose and another in the end of the shift drum.
Mine was loose and bent but impossible to see.
I took it out and put it in a drill so I could see the wobble.

While you're in there, check shift drum stopper (lever) and it's spring.
but also double check the threaded pin in the end of the shift drum.
Mine was loose so I tightened it but since it was bent, replacement was the fix.

I can post part numbers if you need them.

oh, that double tiny spring chicklet assembly can be an impossible pain OR will go back in like nothin.

Just plug the holes in the case in case you drop any little parts.
Get the trike dead level on it's side, take lots o' pix and let us know what you find.

BTW the parts are cheap and avail. New side gasket is always nice to have.
You could even call me collect when you get back in there.

CT250sx
03-29-2013, 09:28 AM
thanks a lot, ill let you know when i get back in there, i do have a spare motor in the basement so i will be able to use that as reference which is nice. if you have part #'s that would be great. thanks again.

tri again
03-29-2013, 02:32 PM
thanks a lot, ill let you know when i get back in there, i do have a spare motor in the basement so i will be able to use that as reference which is nice. if you have part #'s that would be great. thanks again.

ok, I believe I read everything I could since I'd already been in there once.
The top 3 or 4 were,
1) bent shift shaft,
2)cracked arm, gearshift: # 24621-HAO-020 funnybracket that hangs off the shift shaft
3)threaded pin 24315-KA3-710 loose or bent or broken off
4) threaded pin 24652-HAO-000 loose or bent or broken off

One of those threaded pins is prob the one you found a little loose, under the shift shaft that the goofy shift shaft bracket straddles.
The other threaded pin is in the end of the shift drum and the only way I could see was that it rotated when I moved the shifter, indicating it was loose....YaY! so I tightened it.
Still didn't work.
Now THAT pin was the only thing I didn't replace so I took off the oval thing with 2 bolts, 2 chicklets and 2 tiny springs covering the shift drum, took it out and put it in a drill and it wobbled as it spun meaning it was bent. VERY hard to see by looking at it.

Bought one and stole one off a parts engine , played he&^ tring to get those 2 springs and chicklets back into the oval piece and back onto the end of the shift drum
(plug the internal holes in the engine in case you drop them for the 12th time)
and the last try, it fell into place like nothin'.

Keep the trike dead level so when you pull out the shift shaft, the washer under the opposite cover stays in place and note the position of the shift shaft so you don't have to wiggle it too much.

rcurtis16
03-30-2013, 05:55 AM
the chicklet pieces in the end of the drum is what i wanted you to check

barnett468
03-30-2013, 07:25 AM
Hello ct250

After you check all of the above you can do the following before reinstalling the cover to test it.

Get a friend, get the rear wheels securely off the ground, remove the spark plug, start in neutral have friend hold shifter in down position [first gear hopefully], while you turn bike over with kick starter while watching shift drum. If it goes into gear try the exact same procedure with all gears. If they all work fine doing this but it still has the problem when it is running your problem is most likely internal ie bent shift fork/worn cogs/slots on gears etc.

If it does NOT shift ok then remove shift shaft, place Phillips screw driver into screw in end of shift drum have friend kick over motor while you maintain CONSTANT pressure when turning the screw/drum in the proper direction until it falls into gear. Go thru all the gears. If the shift shaft fork rides on the bottom of the drum then 1st is counterclockwise, 2.3.4.5 are clockwise. If the shaft forks ride on top of drum then 1st is clockwise and 2,3,4,5 are counterclockwise.

It should EASILY fall into all gears, if it doesn’t this time either your problem is definitely internal.

Hope this info helps.

CT250sx
03-30-2013, 11:22 AM
wow thanks guys. i hope to get back at it after easter. ill keep you all posted