PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Had this Starter problem?

xela456
03-27-2013, 11:09 PM
When i first purchased big red in 07 the starter simply clicked, so i opted to replace it! I went with a middle of the road aftermarket starter used it for a few years until one time it made an awful noise and ground the gear teeth on the starter and flattened a few teeth on the cog. It didnt appear to need shimmed, of course i didnt even think to do that when i installed it but even now it seemes to be engaging fully.
did i simply get gypped by a cheap starter? or could it have possibly needed shimmed?

on another note F%*K it! i kick it anyway!

xela456
03-27-2013, 11:30 PM
250es 86 btw

Flyingw
03-27-2013, 11:31 PM
The 85/86 ES/SX motors had a bad habit of detonating the starter gears. The 87 motors had that assembly redesigned hence the teardrop shape of the 87 cover whereas the 85/86 covers are oval shape. The starter is always engaged to the starter gears. Its the one way bearing behind the flywheel that allows the crank to spin free of the starter when the motor is running.

Howdy
03-27-2013, 11:58 PM
When i first purchased big red in 07 the starter simply clicked, so i opted to replace it! I went with a middle of the road aftermarket starter used it for a few years until one time it made an awful noise and ground the gear teeth on the starter and flattened a few teeth on the cog. It didnt appear to need shimmed, of course i didnt even think to do that when i installed it but even now it seemes to be engaging fully.
did i simply get gypped by a cheap starter? or could it have possibly needed shimmed?

on another note F%*K it! i kick it anyway!

How does the kick starter work? Does it slip at all?
Do you hear a whirling noise then a clunk and the whirling stops when you shut it off?

if the answers are yes, then you have a one-way clutch issue. The one-way clutch that causes the above issues is located behind the centrifical clutch ( right side of motor ). The one-way clutch also works to stop the motor from spinning backwards when shut off. If its bad and the motor turns backwards it engages the starter gears and it will trash the starter gears and the splines on the armater. I have seen dozens of these motors with this issue.
Howdy