PDA

View Full Version : Wheeler question!

Ethajay22
03-28-2013, 12:40 PM
Hey guys I have a few questions. Last year at my wife's grandpas I found an 80s Kawasaki klt 200. Her grandpa said I could have it. I pulled it out of the woods and looked like it needed some help. I cleaned the carb and tank and ran new fuel lines. Hooked up the jumper pack to it and poured some fresh gas and it barked right up. I ran out of time because of college to finish it up and put it back in the woods. I am going to pull it out this next week. It needs tires and a battery and have found both. Can anyone tell me about these wheelers? Also if I wanna take it out for a day should I give it a clean oil change. Or is there any other concerns I should worry about to get it ready to rip? Thanks for any feedback.

Worden18
03-28-2013, 12:48 PM
I know only one thing...change that oil if you're going to ride it :)

CodyRosa
03-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Hi! And welcome to 3WW, your not to far from me at all, about 45minutes. Anyways lol I actually have the same machine sitting here thats only parts so if you need an extra motor, frame, or plastics let me know! If it was my machine I would buy a new spark plug, and change that oil.

Ethajay22
03-28-2013, 02:50 PM
What kind of oil do they run and can I pick it up from a parts store? How fast will the thing go and how do they handle mud? I will definitely let you know on those parts!!

jb2wheels
03-28-2013, 03:00 PM
Ideally, you should make sure all the brakes work, all bearing are OK & lubed, cables OK & lubed, chain OK & lubed, etc.

If it's been sitting in the woods a while, odds are none of those items are OK or lubed.

I think those have a lockable rear diff on them? Maybe a gear lube change in order, too.

The engine uses the same oil as an other 4-stroke motorcycle with a wet clutch. Easiest to find the Valvoline oil for ATVs at an auto parts store.

I haven't seen a KLT200 manual online anywhere but I haven't looked very hard, either.

Take and post some pics when you get a chance, please!

steck
03-28-2013, 07:49 PM
10w40 is what i've read on here for oil...

maxdallasfan
03-28-2013, 08:32 PM
Yes. Pics are a must!

Ethajay22
04-03-2013, 03:48 PM

Well here she is... I just pulled off the old tires and am going to pick up the ones I found tomorrow. One question though, my clutch lever is froze and wont push in. How do I get it so it is working? Does it need to be adjusted or is the cable seized from sitting in the woods?

Ethajay22
04-03-2013, 03:50 PM
And one more....

jb2wheels
04-03-2013, 03:58 PM
Is your seat not even torn?
Are those the original Goodyears?
Cool!

Only you can answer your clutch question... Could be frozen pivot, frozen cable, or something internal but my person $$ is on the cable.

Ethajay22
04-03-2013, 04:06 PM
Yeah there is no tears at all on the seat and those are the original goodyears. Its not in too bad of shape for sitting in the woods besides the plastic is just faded from the sun. How do I go about the cable? Is there a way to make the cable unfrozen or should I just by a new one. Im just afraid I am going to start putting a lot of money into it and the clutch would be shot or something... Its not a bad rig though for being free.

honda200xguy
04-03-2013, 06:27 PM
You got some nice looking parts on that old baby, worst case scenario, i'd just part it out!

maxdallasfan
04-03-2013, 08:36 PM
The horn is classic.

honda200xguy
04-03-2013, 08:41 PM
The horn is classic.
for a klt? sure is!

CodyRosa
04-03-2013, 09:12 PM
Hey I got the rear plastics are the plastic front plastic (plastic behind handlebars) that are green in great condition. My friends uncle had it, sank it like right away, rebuild it and never used it again. I think all the paint from the frame is still on there to. The thing just sat in a barn underneath some wood so no sunlight.

Ethajay22
04-04-2013, 04:26 PM
Do you have any pictures of the plastic? How much are you thinking you want for them?

Here is the new wheels and rubber I got for it! Gave it an oil change too.

Picked up a battery but now I gotta find a trickle charger for it.

Then up next is figuring out the clutch and seeing if she starts.

Here are some pics of the new rubber.166665166666

honda200xguy
04-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Nice new tires, will match that clean as$ seat :)

CodyRosa
04-04-2013, 09:20 PM
I will run out tomorrow in the day time and check out the plastics, I'm pretty sure there the ones for your machine. Its my friends machine but he hasn't touched the thing in 6 months lol.. just going to sit there. I'll check around and see what those plastics are going for then i'll sell them cheaper. I believe they still have most of the stickers on them if I remember right.

M.Pargiello
04-04-2013, 09:33 PM
Wow, that things looks to be in better shape than most riders! Damn good deal to get it for free

Ethajay22
04-05-2013, 08:52 AM
Okay keep me updated on the plastic or what every else you have and how much you want for it.

I just put the new shoes on her last night it looks pretty good actually.

The plastic I have is mint with all the stickers and no cracks just the color is gone..

Now for the fun.... Pulled off the clutch cable and its unfrozen, Looks like the pivot is seized or else the clutch could be gummed up. I think I am going to take the side casing off today and inspect... sure hope it goes well, I never thought a 3 wheeler would be so fun to work on I am getting addicted.

Hopefully it is just as fun to ride!

CodyRosa
04-06-2013, 05:35 PM
166829166830 Ok sorry it took me so long, These have no cracks in them, there just really really dusty lol. I looked at the motor, dusty on the outside, missing kickstart, sprocket, and the left side cover. I took the oil plug off... very very clean inside. This motor must have very low hours because Like i said they sank it, took it apart got all water out of it and then just put it away without finishing it. It was my buddies uncles. I didn't see any rust inside and I can't kick it over since i have no kickstart. I have a pretty clean looking frame, with bright green forks(colors all there it looks like), handlebars, gas tank, and a few other parts. No tires though.

I honestly couldn't even tell you a price..i looked all on ebay and can't find any plastics for these machines except headlight bezzel at 100 dollars. If you would like to buy the plastics, frame or whatever just shoot me an offer and we'll go from there.

-Oh yea.. that's what happens to everyone lol we work on one motor and get addicted.. not sure if you have ever rode a 3 wheeler? But you will most likely love it!

Good luck!

Ethajay22
04-07-2013, 07:39 PM
Well I would probably be interested in buying the whole thing together... Right now I am just interested in getting it running but if you think of a price for everything let me know. It is hard to spend a lot on extra parts when I got the wheeler for free and I dont have a lot of room at my place to store a parts wheeler.. I will keep you updated tho!!

Ethajay22
04-07-2013, 07:47 PM

Here is a few updates.. I learned that the front hub is seized I can not get the front tire to spin at all so I will have to open her up and see what she looks like. I got the wheeler running though!! It idles great and revs up fine when I hit the gas. The only problem I was removing the screws on the side of the engine to get at the clutch and I stripped the last screw!! So close to see what the problem was.. Well now I have to go and look for an easy out tool or something.

CodyRosa
04-08-2013, 01:13 AM
Well I was going to part it out and say a hundred for the motor that is if its not seized? It was EXTREMELY clean inside but that doesn't mean its pistons are not seized.. no kickstarter so i couldn't tell. Frame 50, its a good solid frame, rear axle in it, front forks there, gas tank, foot pegs, rear brake pedal thing and maybe more? Not sure. A 100 for the plastics just because I couldn't find them anywhere and there still in good shape. Let me know how you feel on these prices. Once again this isn't mine, its a friends so I'm just selling it for him.

Ethajay22
04-10-2013, 10:21 PM
I am interested in the plastic once I get this thing mobile. I am just a little worried about buying the engine if it was sank and if it got hydro locked. But if I need any parts to get this thing finished I will let you know before then!

CodyRosa
04-10-2013, 11:38 PM
Well they took it apart I guess. If you wanna buy the plastics you could bring down your kicker and see if it kicks over? When I took the oil cap off it looked brand new in there, nice and shiny silver.

ps2fixer
04-11-2013, 07:19 AM
If you have a cut off grinder, cut a stright slot into the screw head, get a large reg screw driver, hid it with a hammer to jar the bolt some to help break it free, and prety it comes out.

I'm sure other members have other methods, but that is what I would personally do if the other ones came out pretty easy. Down side is you need another screw to replace it in either case.

Besides the plastic it does look really nice. One possible thing you can do is to sand down the plastics, then buff them. As long as they are not brittle they should come out well, it just takes a lot of time and effort.

Ethajay22
04-11-2013, 09:39 PM
I will try to cut a slot and get it out this saturday. As of the clutch what is the best way to tackle it to get it unfroze.. I am sure it is just gunked up from sitting. The plastics I have are perfect just rough. If i sand them would it be a bad idea to try and paint them? Anyone have any backgrounds on painting plastics?

CodyRosa
04-12-2013, 02:02 AM
oh i guess my reply didn't go through.. or i forgot to hit reply my bad lol... don't paint your plastics. I guess it doesn't work well with these kinds of plastics. Once the plastics start flexing it will just start peeling/cracking the paint I believe. it would probably work for something like a headlight bezzel, something that doesn't move or flex.

ps2fixer
04-13-2013, 09:20 AM
I think the biggest problem with painting plastics is getting the paint to stick to them. I have a quad with painted plastics that I bought that way, and it isn't flaking from stress/flexing, but from anything rubbing on it and scratches. I'm going to be using something on it to take the paint off since it looks so bad painted lol.

poplama
04-13-2013, 09:42 AM
Never seen a kawasaki 3 wheeler even on evilbay here in aus. would be cool to see one one day!

Ethajay22
10-08-2013, 05:05 PM
Well it's been a while but back on. Pulled the casing and found the pivot was frozen. Greased it all up but when I push the clutch in the gears still don't go into neutral. So I am pulling the clutch side casing off to see if the clutch discs are gummed up and I can't get the dang case off! Any tips on getting it off after the screws are out and I drilled the heads out of some. It seems the kickstart spindle is rusted and plays a big cause.