PDA

View Full Version : Paint Ideas for 250sx

sstark82
03-29-2013, 12:27 PM
Howdy all! A ATC250sx followed me home last week and I have since been cleaning it up and doing a little maintainence on it. She is running like a champ but the plastics may need to be painted. I am thinking of going with white on the fenders and tank, with carbon fiber accents and decals. I have heard of the Krylon Fusion paints and I am wondering, has anyone changed from Red to another color before? and if so should I prime it first or just put a hell of alot of coats on it to keep the red from showing through? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.

dustrunner
03-29-2013, 01:01 PM
the paint will crack when the plastic flexes...just so you know.....

Flyingw
03-29-2013, 01:43 PM
Yep, the plastic does not take paint. Nothing for the paint to bond to. You can get red and white but I know a guy with olive drab (OD) green front and rear fenders. The fenders were special ordered from Meier so they are not painted. Here's my three SXs to give you inspiration. If you go with white then contrast with another color of your choice.

sstark82
03-29-2013, 01:48 PM
Oh wow! Flyingw your white one is the exact way I was going to go with mine. I guess I will save some pennies and buy the Meier plastics. Any good prices out there? I have seen them on Ebay but they are like $200 for rear and $75 for the front. The Army idea is freaking sweet too!

tri again
03-29-2013, 02:01 PM
Love that front brake setup.
Garage looks carpeted.
B&W is just such a clean look. I'd be tempted to get a tempered glass piece
and have it double as a coffee table in the middle of my living room.

Flyingw
03-29-2013, 02:43 PM
Ya the fenders can set you back but what are you going to do? Watch the fenders from Zmperformance on Ebay. They sell the blems from Meier. My garage floor is coated by Garage Experts. It a different type of coating that allows the concrete to breath. Its holding up very well........I love my floor.

There's a cop in Virginia thats going to buy my white SX. Back in 07 I did a trike very much like this with police badging. This guy wants one very similar. Now I just have to figure a way to ship it to him.

barnett468
03-29-2013, 10:29 PM
Hello

Yes you can absolutely successfully paint virtually ALL types of plastic including FLEXIBLE plastic with NO CRACKING at all guaranteed. Materials are around $85.00. I will post how in a few minutes.

You can also have them "chrome" plated like all the chrome plated plastic pieces in your car interior!

Maier repo fenders as recommended above.

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/atv/honda/atc250sx-0

barnett468
03-30-2013, 05:25 AM
Hello Sstark82

Yes you can absolutely successfully paint virtually ALL types of plastic including FLEXIBLE plastic with NO CRACKING at all guaranteed. Materials are around $85.00. I will post how in a few minutes.

ARMOR ALL – If your fenders have recently had any products containing silicone like armor your paint will “fish eye”. There is no proven way to remove it all. Sandblasting [metal], no, lacquer thinner, no, paint thinner, no, acetone, no, prep sol, no, wax and grease remover, no, old original solvent based wax and grease remover, sort of but it is no longer available due to the EPA.

Try methods below prior to painting.

To determine if you fenders still have silicone on them after cleaning tape off parts leaving a 12”x12” area exposed, take some enamel or acrylic spray paint or non lacquer based primer [hard to find], warm it up in pan of warm water, warm fender with blow drier and spray, spray. Do not use krylon fusion or any paints designed for plastic since you won’t be using them anyway [hopefully]. Spray on a light tack coat then two medium coats. Do not blow dry it, place it in a warm place above 65 degrees. If it does not have any “fish eyes” after 2 hours you may be good to go.

You will need a automotive spray gun and air line with a water filter in it for the following.

Take fender to automotive paint supply store, show it to them. Tell them you want a paint you can add flex additive to. They will give you what you need ie, flex additive, adhesion promoter, paint, paint thinner, fish eye, maybe primer [but I wouldn’t use it with solvent based paints], clear if you want it two stage but ask if you can use the flex additive in it also. Prep and spray as instructed.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

How to determine plastic material if need be via the small “recycle” triangle located on some plastic items.

1 - PET/PETE - Polyethylene Terephthalate
2 - HDPE - High density Polyethylene
3 - PVC - Polyvinyl Chloride
4 - LDPE - Low density Polyethylene
5 - PP - Polypropylene
6 - PS - Polystyrene
7 – Other

xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Removing silicone

1 Fill l a bucket with 2 quarts warm water, 1/2 cup white vinegar and 1 tsp. dish soap.

2. Dip a cleaning rag into the bucket, wring out the rag well and wipe across the plastic car surfaces.

3. Continue as needed, dipping the rag back into the cleaner as needed to rinse off Armor All residue.

4. Let the plastic air dry and examine to make sure all residue is removed. If you notice any leftover Armor All residue repeat the cleaning application.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Woolite and water, mixed 1 part Woolite to 8 parts water. Put it in a spray bottle, and use this along with a terry cloth or microfiber towel.

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Megs APC diluted 10:1 usually removes everything from any plastic surface for me.
Either way, when I do that it strips everything off and leaves it looking 'flat.'

Xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Maier repo fenders as recommended above.

http://www.maier-mfg.com/catalog/atv/honda/atc250sx-0

Hope this info helps

barnett468
03-30-2013, 05:42 AM
Hello

You will need hardener [catalyst] also. Clear will hide any scratches you get from riding. Ask how to use fish eye if you are using two stage [clear] coat over color.

shovelryder
03-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Break down that $85 price for materials with brands? Yeah.....He can paint it.........unless he wants to ride it. I had a shop.........nothing a normally used atv goes through is gonna stick to that plastic.Itll be better with adh promoter and flex ad.......But wont hold up to normal use and washing for long at all.

sstark82
03-30-2013, 09:56 AM
Well guys I greatly appreciate all this advice, I really do. I have been doing some searching online here and various other atv sites. I found one on Trikeslvania on the World class help section and I am going to try the wet sanding method to restore them. Then mix some paint thinner and boiled linseed oil to put oils back into them. I have seen this done in person and it really does work. Some elbow grease and a little patience will hopefully do the trick.

sstark82
03-30-2013, 09:59 AM
Break down that $85 price for materials with brands? Yeah.....He can paint it.........unless he wants to ride it. I had a shop.........nothing a normally used atv goes through is gonna stick to that plastic.Itll be better with adh promoter and flex ad.......But wont hold up to normal use and washing for long at all.
This is what I was afraid of all along. I do ride her alot and plan on riding alot. I dont want it showroom pretty, just presentable. However with that being said I dont want a three wheeler that looks like Jim Bob Singletooth painted it with krylon and a wire brush. I think i will do the sand method and then if it doesnt work, go with the Maiers.

barnett468
03-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Hello Sstark82

There are obviously many people in the world that have painted their fenders made out of the same plastic just like yours. Although I do know a bit about painting cars and plastic [the shop I worked out of from time to time installed the body kits and painted the blue and orange cars for the original fast and furious movie as well as many others] I suggested you had a Professional from the automotive paint supply store look at it and make their recommendations. I also suggested this in part because I thought there might continue to be others that might say it will crack or lift or not hold up etc. This way you get an unbiased [hopefully] professional opinion of how the LATEST paint technologies would hold up on there and under the type of abuse you might subject it to.

I think tou obviously understand that this is paint and no matter what, it certainly will NOT be as durable as new plastic, but you already have a suggestion for new plastic, which is an xlnt one, and you also have a recommendation for painting it which is exactly what you asked for in the first place. The professional paint will absolutely hold up much better than the spray can paint but obviously if you are wearing out the fenders sliding it like Jimmy White, then it will last about a day or so but it will look most xlnt until then, lol.

Just trying to help and answer your question with the best information I personally have. Obviously others experiences and recommendations may vary.

Hope this info helps.

barnett468
03-30-2013, 10:15 AM
This is what I was afraid of all along. I do ride her alot and plan on riding alot. I dont want it showroom pretty, just presentable. However with that being said I dont want a three wheeler that looks like Jim Bob Singletooth painted it with krylon and a wire brush. I think i will do the sand method and then if it doesnt work, go with the Maiers.

Hello

I was typing while you were posting and didn't see it. In light of your new explanation of desired results and type of use I think you now have an xlnt plan.

Enjoy your ride!

fire1
03-30-2013, 04:50 PM
Ya the fenders can set you back but what are you going to do? Watch the fenders from Zmperformance on Ebay. They sell the blems from Meier. My garage floor is coated by Garage Experts. It a different type of coating that allows the concrete to breath. Its holding up very well........I love my floor.

There's a cop in Virginia thats going to buy my white SX. Back in 07 I did a trike very much like this with police badging. This guy wants one very similar. Now I just have to figure a way to ship it to him.

I told him I would be glad to give it a ride back if we have the ride in the fall

shovelryder
03-30-2013, 05:54 PM
I must say taking it to a shop for advice is a great idea. Lol.... I may be dating my 40 yr old expertise! He's right.... There may very well be a process giving a chemical bond and mechanical tooth to it....... So I think I stand corrected! Let us know what info you find.