PDA

View Full Version : 250r water pump

cwolfe
03-29-2013, 08:15 PM
hello everyone i am new to the site but i have owned trikes on and off since i was 8. i have a question. i have a 86 250r that is spitting just a little coolant out of the weep hole on and off when in use. my question is what tools can i use to drive the bearing out, mechanical seal, and oil seal. i know that the manual specifies certain honda tools but what can i substitute for it. also should i be concerned right now even replacing it the level it loses is barley noticeable. any input would be greatly appreciated.

barnett468
03-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Hello cwolfe

Any leak is bad, if you ride close enough to walk home or back to camp a small leak is not a major concern however....

It has to be fixed sometime it won't get any better and can possibly have progress to a significant gusher at virtually any time.

Why take chances?

Hope this info helps

cwolfe
03-30-2013, 04:51 PM
thanks for your input i probably will do it soon i just need to figure out the right tools needed to pull the bearing to get to the mechanical seal. thanks again!

yaegerb
03-30-2013, 04:59 PM
if you don't want to mess with it you can send it to Carlos at BDT motorsports. He just rebuild my waterpump for $95.00. His rebuild package replaces EVERY part to Honda OEM. Well worth it in my opinion and good piece of mind. I have read up on how to do this numerous times and if you screw up and damage the mechanical seal you are up a creek and unfortunately that is the most expensive part.

Here is his kit on EBAY. As you can see, he didn't charge much for labor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-ATC-250R-ATC250R-OEM-WATER-PUMP-REBUILD-KIT-GASKET-SEPARATOR-BEARING-SEAL-/271169549099?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f22f6f32b&vxp=mtr

fire1
03-30-2013, 05:11 PM
Once you remove the impellar and impellar shaft you can take a screw driver or punch from the mechanical seal side and gently tap the bearing out. Once the bearing is out remove the oil seal and you see the back of the mechanical seal cup. You can take a socket and drive the cup out. Once the cup is out find a large enough socket that fit inside the new cup and tap the new cup into place. Then put new oil seal and bearing back in from crankcase side. The impellar houses part of the new seal make sure remove that and replace with the new.

cwolfe
03-30-2013, 06:54 PM
thanks, for the insight i will try it out. this is a great site to pool all of the know how of others to help and keep trikes rolling.