PDA

View Full Version : Tecate powervalve?????

bad65nova
03-30-2013, 07:48 PM
I currently have my tecate engine where the powervlave is working but i have heard of people setting them where the powervalve is open all the time for drag racing and hillshooting. Had anyone tried making it wide open and if so what was the outcome?

barnett468
03-30-2013, 11:23 PM
Hello

Is your bike modified like pipe, ported, carb, etc. Locking the power valve will reduce bottom end but try it see if you like it.

bad65nova
03-31-2013, 12:01 AM
yes it has a pretty good port job, shaved head 40mil carb, pipe, and reeds. also does anyone advance the timing since the stator is adjustable or is it best at 0?

barnett468
03-31-2013, 12:22 AM
Hello

If your engine does not ping/detonate I guess you could try advancing the timing by 2 degrees, if it detonates then just return it to previous position. It is safest at 0.

Do you know if the squish band on the head was corrected after it was milled?

What gas do you use?

What pipe is it DG, KLEMM ETC?

bad65nova
03-31-2013, 10:25 AM
The pipe is a dg, i was pleasantly surprised by the power it added, The squish clearance right now is at .038". The kicking compression is around 190psi and i run race fuel all the time.

barnett468
04-01-2013, 12:03 AM
Hello

I can see you want to try the open valve routine so here’s how it’s done. See manual below, go to section 4 pg 5. Notice item 1 and 9. Install small od flat washers between these two items until there is close to 0 play. That’s all there is too it.

The DG pipe has been said by many to not have as much to end as others, I don't know but it's impossible to get a klemm pipe anyway so it doesn't matter.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Kawasaki/1986_KAWASAKI_TECATE_SUPPLEMENT.pdf

Let me know how you like it

TheBlueWale
04-01-2013, 02:15 AM
Not to take over this thread, but I have heard from many that the oem tecate exhaust (not muffler) was very well built by Kawi(hp wise), and as a result of that not many aftermarket companies offered aftermarket exhausts for the 86/7, I do have a Bassani exhaust system and also, another unknown (probably an unstamped non national DG pipe), but I have yet to run them, but will this spring.

Hello

I can see you want to try the open valve routine so here’s how it’s done. See manual below, go to section 4 pg 5. Notice item 1 and 9. Install small od flat washers between these two items until there is close to 0 play. That’s all there is too it.

The DG pipe has been said by many to not have as much to end as others, I don't know but it's impossible to get a klemm pipe anyway so it doesn't matter.

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/Kawasaki/1986_KAWASAKI_TECATE_SUPPLEMENT.pdf

Let me know how you like it

barnett468
04-01-2013, 02:32 AM
Not to take over this thread, but I have heard from many that the oem tecate exhaust (not muffler) was very well built by Kawi(hp wise), and as a result of that not many aftermarket companies offered aftermarket exhausts for the 86/7, I do have a Bassani exhaust system and also, another unknown (probably an unstamped non national DG pipe), but I have yet to run them, but will this spring.

Hello

All I can say is that Kawi tested several pipes on the dyno for the 86 model and gave me the best ones to field test. So they and I tried very hard to extract every single bit of hp we could from the pipe using the hp killing spark arrester. This is one reason why the tecate pings a little even on 97 octane gas.

bad65nova
04-01-2013, 01:44 PM
Thanks for the input guys, I was running the stock exhaust and would run side by side with my buddies lt450r with a yosh pipe and programmer, I switched to my brand new dg pipe when it came in and jetted appropriately and now it pulls him hard thru every gear and especially top end. Bluewhale would you be interested in selling the bassani pipe, i have another tecate I am going to start building soon.

bad65nova
04-01-2013, 01:50 PM
To specify i was running the stock head pipe with a DMC silencer.

barnett468
04-01-2013, 10:05 PM
To specify i was running the stock head pipe with a DMC silencer.

Hello

Just curious, did you remove the original t3 silencer and install the dave miller one? Dave was a friend of mine he partially sponsored me on a cr125 back in the miller mano days. He was a local legend on an mx bike but kept breaking the same leg and finally gave up.

If so did you notice much difference in performance more bottom mid or top etc?

Good to know about the dg pipe.

bad65nova
04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
yes i removed the stock silencer and installed the dmc silencer, the power seemed better all around and the sound had a deep strong tone to it, its a pretty sweet silencer that says "power of the 80s" on the side. Are you interested in the silencer? i dont have much use for it now and would like to see it go to someone who needs it

ezmoney1979
04-01-2013, 10:39 PM
yes i removed the stock silencer and installed the dmc silencer, the power seemed better all around and the sound had a deep strong tone to it, its a pretty sweet silencer that says "power of the 80s" on the side. Are you interested in the silencer? i dont have much use for it now and would like to see it go to someone who needs it
Do you have pics of the silencer? I might be interested if barnett doesn't want it. Thanks.

bad65nova
04-01-2013, 10:41 PM
I will take a pic tomorrow, not sure if its originally off of a tecate or anything but it fit perfect. Id be happy to donate to a good project.

ezmoney1979
04-01-2013, 11:03 PM
I will take a pic tomorrow, not sure if its originally off of a tecate or anything but it fit perfect. Id be happy to donate to a good project.
Cool! I have been looking for a silencer to go with this pipe-

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/tecatepipe006-1.jpg

barnett468
04-01-2013, 11:12 PM
Hello

Thanks for the offer that's very kind. I don't need it right now however if eazymoney really needs it it's fine with me.

Thanks again for the info. I really wanted to replace a stocker with a kx or something but never had the time.

Kawi would sort of design a pipe without a spark arrester and big silencer on the dyno and then throw the krizman one on there and hope for the best, lol..

barnett468
04-01-2013, 11:15 PM
Cool! I have been looking for a silencer to go with this pipe-

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae240/ezmoney1979/tecatepipe006-1.jpg

Hello eazymoney

Do you know who made that pipe?

Thanks

ezmoney1979
04-01-2013, 11:47 PM
Hello eazymoney

Do you know who made that pipe?

Thanks
Well it was never confirmed, but here is the thread from when I got it- http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/121259-86-7-Tecate-Klemm-pipe?highlight=klemm%3F

barnett468
04-02-2013, 12:50 AM
Bad65nova

I don't know Bluewhale but I'm gonna guess gettin a klemm or bassani out of anyone is gonna be tough, rare, rare, rare.

I was friends with all of them, all very different, all very cool. Dave was always amped to the max, Daryl was quiet and Harry was low key but jovial and had a sarcastic wit that was absolutely hilarious.

Easymoney

Thanks for the info and the ad way cool. I can't say for sure either but if you turn it sideways and try to match up the length and angle of the rear cones with the klemm ad it might be easier to tell. Looks very close though.

Bluewhale

Can you please post a photo of your Bassani front like eazymoney and side like klemm's ad.