PDA

View Full Version : need 185s help

atcguy123
03-30-2013, 11:59 PM
hi i have a 1983 185s idling high i tried to adjust the idle it didnt fix im not very good with small engines any help would be appreciated

Gator72007
03-31-2013, 12:19 AM
i would first take the slide out of the top of the carb, where the cap screws on the top where the cable goes into carb, and make sure it isnt in backwards and make sure its seated all the way, also look at the needle and make sure its installed correctly with the retainer.

when you pull the slide out of the top, look down into carb and you will see a metal prong in the bore, that lines up with the large gap on the slide not the narrow one, slide it all the way down untill seated, you can try both ways and you will know when its correct by feel.

atcguy123
03-31-2013, 12:22 AM
ok im gonna go check that tommorow morning thanks

goump1995
03-31-2013, 12:53 AM
Another thing you should check for is float height. Correct float height for the 185(s) is 0.49 in. (12.5mm)

barnett468
03-31-2013, 12:54 AM
Hello

Did this problem happen all by itself or did you remove carb slide or mess with cables etc?

If it happened by itself the slide in correctly but check needle anyway.

Could be tight cable try to loosen nut on end of cable and adjust so it has play.

Can you hear the slide bottom if you suddenly re;ease throttle?

Could be an air leak

3wheelers
03-31-2013, 03:01 AM
There are a few things it could be. It could be the throttle. Screw the throttle off the top of the carb, and make sure the throttle goes in all the way. If it doesn't sink down, then it could be in the wrong way. Twist it half a turn and it will sink down. You could also have an air leak. Check the carb boot for holes. And check the seal between the carb boot and the carb. It's most likely a throttle problem. If the throttle is sunk down all the way like its supposed to be, and it still idols high, then your throttle cable may be too short, or it needs some WD-40 in the cable to loosen it up and make it sink back down into the carb in the proper position.

Coopart1
03-31-2013, 09:40 AM
just got a 185s myself with similar issues...one other thing to look at is the air cleaner cover, if its loose fitting your idle will be all over the place. make sure its on and sealed while performing adjustments.