PDA

View Full Version : 200ES running problem, stutters and bogs at 2/3 throttle! Help!

3wheelers
04-01-2013, 12:46 AM
I have a 200ES that runs ok. But when you get past 1/3 throttle it stutters and bogs down kinda. You have to run it with the choke on, or it will bog down at like 1/5 throttle. I have tried putting different carburetors on it. I tried a 185 carb and its stock 200 carb. They both did the same thing. It idols with the choke off fine, but idols high with the choke on. But I can't ride it without the choke on.

It has no kill switch, so it has been being shut down with the decompression lever. Could this be destroying the valves?

What could be my problem? Do the valves need to be adjusted? Does it need new valve seals? Is the timing off possibly? What do you guys think is wrong with it?

AIR_RIDER
04-01-2013, 01:29 AM
I don't know if this is your problem or not but iv had that happen befor and it just be a really dirty air cleaner,

barnett468
04-01-2013, 02:02 AM
Hello

Hope we can help.

Check cam timing and valve setting and air filter.

If your valves are bad it should pop out of bad valve intake or exh.

Do a compression test, should be 105 min 160 is best.

Did it always run bad since you’ve had it?

Did it drive better with choke on, on all carbs?

Exactly what carb is on it now?

What is wrong with original carb?

Try the carb that works best preferably the original, then if it still runs better with choke on then buy main jet 2 sizes larger.

A ”stutter” means “burble” which means it is rich which it is not since it drives better with choke on.

Hope this helps

Gator72007
04-01-2013, 05:09 AM
First thing i would try is running it with the gas cap cracked or off, to make sure cap isnt causing a vacuum inside the tank, starving it for fuel.

barnett468
04-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Hello

Xlnt idea gator72007, I keep forgetting that one. I have to go fix a post on another topic now, lol.

dougspcs
04-01-2013, 07:45 AM
I agree with Barnett on the compression test idea..but not his numbers.

105PSI or anything close is wacked!! The thing would be ready for a overhaul at that. The manual says 156 +-14PSI..

"Is it possible the timing is off?" may just be the $64000 question and exactly right..

This engine unlike most has a mechanical spark advance system..pull the cap on the left side of the head. There are two little weighted arms that with centrifugal force extend causing the hall affect to advance giving your spark advance as the engine RPMs increase..

If the advance is jammed then this symptom you describe is exactly the result..

The method of inspection and adjustment is in the manuals you can download here: http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/

3wheelers
04-01-2013, 08:02 AM
Thanks guys! I'll try all this stuff. I'm sure something should work.

barnett468
04-01-2013, 08:25 AM
I agree with Barnett on the compression test idea..but not his numbers.

105PSI or anything close is wacked!! The thing would be ready for a overhaul at that. The manual says 156 +-14PSI..

"Is it possible the timing is off?" may just be the $64000 question and exactly right..

This engine unlike most has a mechanical spark advance system..pull the cap on the left side of the head. There are two little weighted arms that with centrifugal force extend causing the hall affect to advance giving your spark advance as the engine RPMs increase..

If the advance is jammed then this symptom you describe is exactly the result..

Hello 3wheelers

"Do a compression test, should be 105 min 160 is best."

My numbers are correct but I guess I should have elaborated. 105 is about the bare minimum amount of "cranking compression" to barely run and at that number it certainly needs repair.

xxxxx

"I agree with Barnett on the compression test idea..but not his numbers.105PSI or anything close is wacked!!"

I agree however it will still run but poorly.

xxxxx

"The thing would be ready for a overhaul at that."

I agree

xxxxx

"The manual says 156 +-14PSI."

Like I posted "160 is best", so I think I'm close enough. You can run at 135 all day long but it will be down on power a bit.

xxxxx

"check the mechanical spark advance..pull the cap on the left side of the head."

Xlnt idea!

xxxxx

"If the advance is jammed then this symptom you describe is exactly the result.."

This condition will certainly reduce overall performance and prohibit max rpm however I personally have never seen any vehicle that had this condition that applying the choke would improve upon [but I'm not saying it won't] because I certainly haven't seen it all, so as I mentioned, check it anyway. Dougspcs's experiences are most likely different than mine and he has apparently seen adding choke improve this type of problem so I learned something new today, cool.

kb0nly
04-01-2013, 09:56 AM
My 200ES did the same thing, turned out to be junk in the carb for one, the other problem of random stuttering was fixed with a new CDI unit. Purrs like a kitten now. Swapping carbs don't mean much unless your swapping with a known good, clean, and perfect carb. The carbs on these trikes are a real pain sometimes.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-01-2013, 10:07 AM
I had that same symptom with my ATC110. After cleaning the carb and fuel system thoroughly the problem persisted. Turned out the timing was out of adjustment. And yes, running with the choke on did help it run better, but was still not right.

Start with the simple stuff first.

As suggested by others:

Verify the tank is venting,
Make double sure the carb is clean and clear. That means both main and pilot jets ALONG WITH their corresponding fuel circuits in the carb body. Also make sure the idle circuit is clean and clear. It doesn't take much to stop up the idle and pilot circuits..

Then, get yourself a timing light and check the ignition timing.

If all of those check out, then I would start worrying about valves, compression, etc..

Start with the most simple problems first. Most often it's the simple stuff that's most likely to be causing the issue