PDA

View Full Version : 83 200x gearbox problems

Bungle
04-01-2013, 03:25 PM
hi I have a 83 200x and it jumps when in 3rd and 4th. I have taken the engine apart and
Can't see anything wrong with any of the gears. Anyone have any ideas what it could be. Also is any other
Gearbox the same xr 200 xl185?? Cheers

shortline10
04-01-2013, 03:47 PM
You have bent or worn shift forks and no the dirt bike trannys are different . Also in 83 some of the tranny gears are different than the 84/85 model so replace with the correct year .

Bungle
06-11-2013, 06:48 AM
Ok I changed the shift forks. Noticed the 1 was worn. Built the engine back up. And it's exactly the same. I also changed the clutch plates. All the gears look fine. Any other suggestions.

barnett468
06-11-2013, 08:20 AM
Hello

hi I have a 83 200x and it jumps when in 3rd and 4th.[quote]

What EXACTLY do you mean by “jumps”. Does it pop out of gear under hard acceleration or deceleration?

Which fork did you replace?

Did it improve anything?

[QUOTE=Bungle;1212493] hi I I have taken the engine apart and Can't see anything wrong with any of the gears.

Unless you are an expert at identifying potentially bad gears I suggest you remove ALL the gears from their shaft and take close up photos of All the gears on the engagement side only. Photo both sides of the forks.

BENT SHIFT FORK – A bent shift fork is often [but not always] caused by a gear becoming worn enough that iit fails to remain engaged and pops out of engagement [gear]. The heavier the load this occurs under the more force that is exerted on the shift fork occasionally causing them to bend. Providing you shift drum detent is working properly then you simply have worn gears.

If the engagement ears on the gears are radiused [worn] more than approximately 25% of their height or more they need to be replaced.

If the engagement slots are worn by the same amount or more of their depth they need to be replaced.

Keep it clean and on topic!!
Howdy

barnett468
06-11-2013, 08:22 AM
It's best to post photos to flickr etc then post a link to flickr here. They will be much larger photos that way unless you know how to do that here.

Keep it clean and on topic!!
Howdy

shortline10
06-11-2013, 11:43 AM
You cant just change the forks , the mating gears need to be replaced as well that's what's slipping it out of gear .

yaegerb
06-11-2013, 11:46 AM
Sound do me like the "dogs" on 3rd and 4th gear are worn out. Not a very good design to begin with. Like Shortline said, you need OEM 3rd and 4th gear.

Bungle
06-11-2013, 02:25 PM
I changed all three shift forks.. It jumps when under load.. Has any one got the gears I need and willing to
Ship to the uk
Cheers for the help

shortline10
06-11-2013, 02:56 PM
I would suggest to just buy a whole used known working tranny and replace it all . If its slipping out of gear like your saying at least half the gears are probably bad . Like I said before 83 is a 1 year only tranny so hit up ebay . If you want to upgrade to a 84/85 200x tranny just change out the kicker set up as well .

I changed all three shift forks.. It jumps when under load.. Has any one got the gears I need and willing to
Ship to the uk
Cheers for the help