PDA

View Full Version : Here's some old school for ya

Scootertrash
04-04-2013, 11:08 AM
I wish I had this set up in my garage. maybe not ALL the machines, but you get the idea. Eventually I will have a Bridgeport and a nice lathe

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=BckZ4i1BzF0

Worden18
04-04-2013, 12:02 PM
Love it. Being a machinist by trade, I appreciate seeing this kind of thing. It's been a while since I touched any real equipment, but my brother finally got a nice Bridgeport and an older smaller lathe just recently. At least now I can drill a straight hole if I need to :D

pipeline triker
04-04-2013, 12:59 PM
Great vid, there was a shop by me that was run all on flat belts up till just a few years ago.

SPD FRK
04-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Restores my faith in mankind.
Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters is doing something similar. He has an old school mixing board in an old school studio making real music without computers. May not be your thing but it's the same idea.

M.Pargiello
04-04-2013, 05:44 PM
Makes me wish I worked there. I would love to have a dr pepper and peanuts everyday at 9:30

atc007
04-04-2013, 06:00 PM
Gosh Scooter ,Thanx for posting that. That right there is MY kind of story. Magnificent.

Scootertrash
04-04-2013, 07:12 PM
Restores my faith in mankind.
Dave Grohl of the Foo Fighters is doing something similar. He has an old school mixing board in an old school studio making real music without computers. May not be your thing but it's the same idea.

That's awesome too! I love back to basics.

Dirtcrasher
04-04-2013, 07:59 PM
I was very lucky to work with a toolmaker who liked me. I recall dropping his "last word" indicator and he was upset. I had a new lens for it in a couple days.

I ended up with a Bridgeport and a Kurt vice. My old company told me "get this thing gone this morning and it's yours" I gave them 100$ which doesn't even cover the vice.

The Southbend lathe was in the dump. 2 guys dragged it out. I had to do some work on it but it was a steal at 150$.

I could not operate without them; You NEVER find shops like that anymore :(

Thanks for the video!!

Scootertrash
04-04-2013, 09:56 PM
Love it. Being a machinist by trade, I appreciate seeing this kind of thing. It's been a while since I touched any real equipment, but my brother finally got a nice Bridgeport and an older smaller lathe just recently. At least now I can drill a straight hole if I need to :D

I spent about 10 years working in a machine shop, but most of my knowledge came from shop class in school. I just kind of took to it in school and remembered a lot of it. All I've got right now is a little old Atlas lathe, but It's come in handy for bushings bearing and spacers, etc. I really need to get a shop built and get a big lathe and a mill.

bkm
04-04-2013, 10:44 PM
Pretty much the definition of what America used to be and why we were the world powerhouse and the envy of all other nations.

Angore
04-06-2013, 05:32 PM
Thank's for sharing that !
Pretty cool video & a good life lesson as well .