PDA

View Full Version : 200 kickstart problem v2

honda200xguy
04-04-2013, 01:28 PM
So i was on here talking with some people about the problem with my kickstart, i opened the kickstart panel and noticed one of the gears was gone. So today in the mail i got the gears (which i overpaid for) + some other parts i need. Anyway so i put the gear on there, put the panel back on and put the kickstart shaft back on. Pull her out of the garage and kick it, it feels like it's not catching anything, but the return spring does bring it back up. I wonder if its the way i put the gears on or do i have the crack the case?

yaegerb
04-04-2013, 01:54 PM
Did you line up the punch marks on all of the components? On the gear you just bought (Upper gear) there is a punch mark on it and it lines up with the kickstarter shaft. After you get that together then you need to line up the punch marks on the kick starter drive gear (lower gear) and its shaft. After you get the lower gear lined up on the shaft you have to ensure that the gear punch marks are aligned with each other when installing the lower gear set.

Did you do all of that correctly?

honda200xguy
04-04-2013, 02:30 PM
Did you line up the punch marks on all of the components? On the gear you just bought (Upper gear) there is a punch mark on it and it lines up with the kickstarter shaft. After you get that together then you need to line up the punch marks on the kick starter drive gear (lower gear) and its shaft. After you get the lower gear lined up on the shaft you have to ensure that the gear punch marks are aligned with each other when installing the lower gear set.

Did you do all of that correctly?

So both of the two gears don't have to be aligned correct?
I did align the gears according the the punch marks on each shaft.
Kick her, and she still doesn't catch anything. But the spring bring it back up.

yaegerb
04-04-2013, 02:31 PM
yes, the gears have punch marks on them and they have to be aligned. Do you have a manual?

honda200xguy
04-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Brings* it back up.

yaegerb
04-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Here is a manual you can download if you don't have one.

http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC200X%2F

Obviously you want the 83-85 200x download. Page 8-14 through 8-15

honda200xguy
04-04-2013, 02:42 PM
yes i am looking at the manual right now.
the gears are all align and it still doesn't catch anything.

yaegerb
04-04-2013, 02:57 PM
k. If its not catching then its time to crack the cases. Either there is no teeth left on the internal kicker gears/ratchet set or somebody forgot to put a gear back when previously disassembling.

Sorry about that. If you are going to crack the cases I would suggest getting a good case splitter. If you don't want to tackle it, send me a PM.

honda200xguy
04-04-2013, 03:06 PM
k. If its not catching then its time to crack the cases. Either there is no teeth left on the internal kicker gears/ratchet set or somebody forgot to put a gear back when previously disassembling.

Sorry about that. If you are going to crack the cases I would suggest getting a good case splitter. If you don't want to tackle it, send me a PM.

i thought that was going to be the problem, so i bought the whole new assembly, already have the parts do do it!

yaegerb
04-04-2013, 03:23 PM
PM replied

oldskool83
04-04-2013, 03:47 PM
pull the motor. once this issue is fixed you wont have an issue anymore and these are fun motors/bikes. I rebuild my last one with no manual, its not hard, just be smart about it.

honda200xguy
04-04-2013, 04:21 PM
pull the motor. once this issue is fixed you wont have an issue anymore and these are fun motors/bikes. I rebuild my last one with no manual, its not hard, just be smart about it.

Thanks, yea im hoping after that is finished, i won't have to do anymore work and she will WORK for a while before i have to put more into her.