PDA

View Full Version : To ride or not to ride?

DesertRat
04-05-2013, 07:13 AM
So I bought a 85 200X about a week ago. It's immaculate. It's been holding down a garage since 85. I got it from an alcoholic lady that didn't know what she had. So my question is, should I ride it or sell it to a collector??? I don't know what to do. This thing is so nice I feel guilty about even thinking about riding it.. It's still on the original tires. It runs like a champ and has so few hours i dont even think the motor is broken in. What should I do????

Also if I intend to keep it in collectors condition should I not rinse it with water, Just wipe it down?

Larry T Moore
04-05-2013, 07:58 AM
ride it...

Jason125m
04-05-2013, 08:01 AM
Ride it like you stole it!

xela456
04-05-2013, 08:27 AM
Ride it! just think, its like its never known anyone else! you essentially gave it life, therefore it owes its life to you.

also Jason, I've admired that profile pic since i first saw it that wheeler looks HUGE thats how i hope mine looks under me. is that thing stretched out or is the rider fairly small.

DesertRat
04-05-2013, 08:31 AM
Jason125m that's exactly what my buddy said!

Jason125m
04-05-2013, 08:32 AM
Ride it! just think, its like its never known anyone else! you essentially gave it life, therefore it owes its life to you.

also Jason, I've admired that profile pic since i first saw it that wheeler looks HUGE thats how i hope mine looks under me. is that thing stretched out or is the rider fairly small.

Its a stock length 350x, I'm 5'11" 170 lbs. The shot was taken from a low angle, makes the machine look a lot bigger. Thanks for the compliment!

dougspcs
04-05-2013, 08:45 AM
I know you're pumped to get on that thing and pound it..but consider this.

At this point in time the really clean ones like that are getting more and more rare..that machine will never again be as awesome as it is now.

20 years from now if you still have it in that condition you will the envy of 3WW..lots of guys have rebuilt and have awesome machines. But an original or mostly original!!

That will be special..if your investment is fairly low, love it and pamper it..

Then buy a beater..that machine is a perfect collection starter.

DesertRat
04-05-2013, 09:03 AM
Those are my thoughts exactly. They aren't going to last forever. It so hard to not ride it, but I can't imagine the grief id have if something happened to it. It's under a cover in my garage I don't even want it getting dusty. If I did out it up for sale what should I expect for it ring this original and nice?

shovelryder
04-05-2013, 09:04 AM
Ride it.......I laugh like hell at the folks with the mint collector car in the garage......always in the garage........It was built to be used, so respect the machine and the history and USE IT!.....I get hassled fer driving my old bug......every day......all winter and summer. Yer headstone isnt gonna wanna say "I love the three wheler I never did ride"...........Get on it and get on it!.....I had an SX that a few here said was the nicest original SX theyd ever seen.....and I took it on a 19 day trip form my house to northern mn......no tow vehicles,left to the ditches with stuff packed..........that machine saw some great times!

DesertRat
04-05-2013, 09:09 AM
I keep flip flopping, shovelryder I've been thinking that as well. It was made to be ridden. And as fun as these things are how can I resist a brand new untainted sweet little gem like this

Woodsrider
04-05-2013, 10:13 AM
Nice machine for sure. What kind of muffler is on that?

Worden18
04-05-2013, 10:14 AM
Ride it, you only live once; and no matter who owns that machine, eventually it will be gone, too. Just take care of it and have fun :)

D-dub
04-05-2013, 10:26 AM
Why cant you ride it AND take immaculate care of it?

pipeline triker
04-05-2013, 10:32 AM
If that was my machine I would put a stock pipe on it, stock grab bar and anything else that is not stock back on it and sell the trike, or keep it high and dry for a while. They are only new and orginal once. On ebay to a collector that one 200x could buy you a nice rider, you would have an awsome pipe to put on it (looks like a richter). Enough extra cash to do a bunch of mods and probally some cash left over.
But then again I bought an 86 200x that was rode lightly one winter on a frozen river by the guys house and then put in the back corner of his garage till I bought it. I have been riding and modding it ever since. I kept all the factory parts but the plastics are dirty and stained and the decals are all bad. In the end it is yours to do what you want, there will always be people that have a differant idea of what you should do with it.

DesertRat
04-05-2013, 10:37 AM
The pipe on it is made by Answer products. It sounds awesome. I have an ad on craigslist for collectors to contact me. I got a bite this morning we will see how it turns out

Buck Snort
04-05-2013, 12:01 PM
Don't sell it! You will be mad at yourself. I would ride it and take extra care of it. The only way I would sell it, would be for a big profit. I sold a all original, mint 1984 IT 250 dirtbike 2 years ago and it still bugs me that I sold it. I made money on it but now I don't remember what I spent the money on.

UPNATM
04-05-2013, 12:47 PM
Why cant you ride it AND take immaculate care of it?

X2, ride it, enjoy it, and maintain it. You take care of it, and it should last another 20+ years.

xela456
04-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Its a stock length 350x, I'm 5'11" 170 lbs. The shot was taken from a low angle, makes the machine look a lot bigger. Thanks for the compliment!
No Problem!
like i said i hope thats how mine looks under me its a 250es 86 with 2" of spacer and a 26x9x12 on the front! i dont have photos of my current configuration. Also i'm 6'6" 220 so i might dwarf mine a little bit! And i've never seen a 350x in person so i dont know the size in comparison. However there is a pretty nice looking 350x on my local cl for 1500 wish i had the cabbage to consider it!

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/mcy/3715122896.html

tri again
04-05-2013, 02:39 PM
The pipe on it is made by Answer products. It sounds awesome. I have an ad on craigslist for collectors to contact me. I got a bite this morning we will see how it turns out

I met some quad guys at the dunes that like trikes for their 'disposable' value.
Instead of 5 grand for a quad, they laugh at 1 or 2 grand for a trike and beat them to death.

Some of this stuff truly belongs on a pedestal or display at a dealership or Hard Rock Cafe or whatever but whoever buys it, can do whatever they want.

What would I do?
Ride it once or twice and park it like you did and then get another one to ride.
Some folks hide the plastics and tank in the rafters and get used plastics for everyday riding.

Tough call.
I DO know trikes in general are getting harder to find and more expensive even since last year.
Not sure why.
Still kicking myself for selling a well worn sx with racks. Been looking to replace it for almost 2 years now.

Keestan31
04-05-2013, 02:53 PM
Wow that's a great find, I myself would ride it. Good luck on whatever you decide to do.

DesertRat
04-06-2013, 12:12 AM
I rode it. It's dusty now and I feel like I just scratched a pearl or something but damn was that thing fun!

honda200xguy
04-06-2013, 12:31 AM
rip that original tire all damn day..

barnett468
04-06-2013, 01:10 AM
Hello Desertrat

I’m glad you took my advice and posted here. I told you that you would get a lot more responses here than where you had it posted, cool.

barnett468
04-06-2013, 01:27 AM
Hello Desertrat

Since you are already advertising it I suggest putting it on Ebay with no buy it now but put a $10K hidden reserve, run it for 10 days or 2 weeks, see what the highest bid is. Then decide if it's worth it to you to sell it. The question you should ask is how much would it be to find a reliable one to replace it for the amount of time you would own and ride it and weigh the difference.

Hope this info helps.

DesertRat
04-06-2013, 06:17 AM
Thanks guys I'm still kicking it around I'm very indecisive lol:wondering. Thanks Barnett468 I appreciate it

barnett468
04-06-2013, 06:27 AM
Hello Desertrat

No problem happy to help. I felt a little bad no one saw it where you had it. This sort of thing happens once in a lifetime but keep in mind you can advertise it on Ebay with a high reserve and donb't have to sell it. If someone comes along and offers enough money then it wwill make your decision easier.

If I had it I wouldn't ride it as hard as I would like for fear of scratching it, not much fun but on the other hand you're almost guaranteed to never have a problem with it. Tough call I know.

barnett468
04-06-2013, 06:33 AM
Hello Desertrat

Here's another idea if you keep it. Go to the hardware store and buy some clear heavy duty adhesivev vinyl. Put it everywhere you will rub including frame but not on the motor. I can be safely removed if you change it once a year.

bkm
04-06-2013, 08:42 AM
If you're really wanting a 200x to ride, put this one in the corner with a cover on it and buy a 5-6 hundred dollar rider. Rider condition 200x's are a dime a dozen, why ruin a nice original?

honda200xguy
04-06-2013, 05:34 PM
If you're really wanting a 200x to ride, put this one in the corner with a cover on it and buy a 5-6 hundred dollar rider. Rider condition 200x's are a dime a dozen, why ruin a nice original?
True that..or he could sell it, make abunch of money, and then buy a daily driver 200x for 500 bucks.

CodyRosa
04-06-2013, 05:45 PM
When I bought mine.. I rode it all the time until I fixed it, painted it and thought to myself.. 'I'm gonna keep this thing clean all the time!" Well guess what.. first ride out, 10min in and it was MUDDY, the hole concept of keeping this 20+ year old machine clean went out the door and now I do "ride it like I stole it". I figure it's pointless to keep a trike in MINT condition or even clean 100% of the time.. these things were MADE for this stuff. I want you to get on that machine, kick it over, and ride it! Now you don't necessarily have to beat the snot out of it(i wouldn't blame you there) but at least ride it, put around, trail ride, check out scenery i don't know.. just don't let it sit in that garage, there are plenty of these 200x for parts if something breaks.

Now go ride it and enjoy it for what its for!

3wheelers
04-07-2013, 12:58 AM
If I were you, I would keep it and not ride it. That thing is new on the original tires! People restore 3 wheelers, and they look just like that, but it's not the same! Yours has the original paint, original stickers, and original everything! (Not including exhaust and any aftermarket parts) I would keep it in your garage! If your gonna let it sit, drain the gas from the carb and gas tank. Go to start it every month, just pouring in enough gas. Then in 20 years, it will be worth alot! Or you could sell it to a collector right now if you don't want to have to deal with not riding it.

Get yourself a used 200X and ride that!

bkm
04-07-2013, 10:38 AM
True that..or he could sell it, make abunch of money, and then buy a daily driver 200x for 500 bucks.I'm going to go of on a little tangent here so either bear with me or tune me out. honda200xguy, this isn't directed at you, but to all in general.

200x's don't really bring much $$ even in this condition and it will not bring the money like the 250r's or 350x's in the same condition, so he's not sitting on a gold mine. They are cheap and plentiful in rider condition and nice original ones are becoming far and fewer. It is his to obviously do with it as he wishes, but they are only original once. A restored bikes is just that, restored. You can rebuild them yourself a million times over, but they can only leave the factory new and pretty one time, and then its over.

If you ride this thing and beat it up, it now becomes a run of the mill 200x just like the rest. I am a hopeless nostalgic and love seeing things preserved in their natural condition. This bike has surived for 28 years and has beat the odds stacked against it to travel down the path of a hard life like so many before it. To me it doesn't deserve to be hammered on at this point in time just for the sake of "because I can and why have it if your not going to ride it". I just don't see the facination some people possess with beating on a (insert machine) that can longer be produced just because its mint and original.

Though, this is no where near the same scale as Andy's crated 250r, but there were guys who said they would take that bike out of the crate put it together and ride it. Why? Just so you can be that Anti Preservation guy or to piss off the purist? If you really want to ride a new 250r that bad and are willing to drop the $$ to do it, then build one from NOS parts and knock yourself out. Same goes for this 200x though. If you want to beat the snot out of a nice bike then build one and drop the hammer down on it. Who cares?

/rant

zappaz
04-07-2013, 11:26 AM
ride it ! thats why it was made

ShaftDrive225dx
04-07-2013, 11:58 AM
Ride it theyre not gonna bring the money u will expect there already 28 years old and theyre still not worth very much i have one i bought in really good shape one owner for 600 bucks look on my profile i have pictures of it, so bottom line is you will be upset you didnt not saying beat butnenjoy it!

sp8twn
04-07-2013, 12:03 PM
Ride it....!!

Jason125m
04-07-2013, 05:25 PM
I don't see how riding it is going to hurt it. If you all care about the original tires, take those off, buy a rider set of tires. Ride it, not break it. I ride the crap out of all of my trikes, and they still look like they did when i got them.... riding doesnt mean doing stupid ass stuff and rolling it all over the place. Ride it and enjoy it, or sell it and buy a 350x :D

Buck Snort
04-07-2013, 07:45 PM
I don't see how riding it is going to hurt it. If you all care about the original tires, take those off, buy a rider set of tires. Ride it, not break it. I ride the crap out of all of my trikes, and they still look like they did when i got them.... riding doesnt mean doing stupid ass stuff and rolling it all over the place. Ride it and enjoy it, or sell it and buy a 350x :D I agree! I ride my trikes hard but if you don't smash the crap out of them, I think you can keep them in great shape.

DesertRat
04-08-2013, 08:25 AM
I really want a 350X anyone want to trade? :beer

CodyRosa
04-08-2013, 12:09 PM
lol just do what I and others have said.. Ride it, don't beat it.. Just put around if anything. Riding this thing around casual isn't going to do anything. Do what jason said if you really care about those tires.. just buy another set.