PDA

View Full Version : They figured it out in 1980, why can't I?

mec_learning
04-07-2013, 12:02 AM
Hello,

I am new here, and to forums in general. I have very recently picked up a 1980 Honda ATC 110 for $100. wasnt running and flat tire, bummer. well in the whole week that i have had it, I have ran in to more trouble than its beginning to feel worth.

Probablem number one. i had no spark at all. so far i have taken apart the stator, cleaned it up. new cap, new plug. there is now spark, although weak it is there enough for me to got it running once for about 4 min then carb killed it trying to adjust the idle.

List of things that i have done and cant get it to start still.
i have cleaned and rebuilt carb, new spark plug, new spark cap, new points, gaped at .3mm, cleaned stator and flywheel. new coil and condensor on its way, i think i fryed mine today. kinda rewired. just bypassed the entire electrical system. the wires go from. stator to points. stator to coil. all grounds are good. it ran like this. so i know it works. if there is anything that i am forgetting in the ignition system please let me know.

bike has fuel. has spark. ran after i yanked the cord about 30 times. as a diesel mechanic, i have very little knowledge on this small motor and it is really kicking me. never delt with points before, and figured it would be a good challenge. well i was wrong. its an epic challange. in the end i still won, it ran. but wasnt fun or nice. need help.

also known is that timming is good. and valves are good. compression is good. i am litterally out of ideas.
its getting fuel and had spark, probably not now. but it did run couple of hours ago after i tore up my hand from the cord.
all i want right now is to walk up to my new toy, pull that cord one time and she fires over.

barnett468
04-07-2013, 01:10 AM
Hello Mec learning

Sorry to hear of your dramas. You will get lot’s of varied suggestions, I suggest trying as many as is reasonable. These problems are not always what they seem to be. Please answer the following questions if you like but try to do it in line order fashion not all in one paragraph, much easier to read that way.

I also suggest changing your title to read BIKE WON;T START PLEASE HELP, you might get more responses that way but I'm sure you'll get several anyway.

You said and died, you changed parts still no run, possibly fried condenser and ordered new one, now have spark but no run.

1 Have you installed the new condenser?

2 Is the spark more or less right now with the new coil irregardless of condenser?

3 Is spark weak pale yellow or strong pale blue?

4 Did you install new gas?

5 Was gas added to existing gas in tank or to dry tank?

6 Is there rust in tank?

7 Drain gas from float bowl via bowl drain screw into clear glass look for color [apple juice color is bad] look for small rust bits or other debris, look for water. What do you see? No rust but apple juice color gas means gas is bad and will barely burn.

8 Did you try spraying flammable brake cleaner into carb with throttle open then starting and if so does it start then?

9 Remove plug after trying to start, is it wet with gas or dry [no gas]?

10 Check for air leaks at carb to head, spray brake cleaner around using nozzle once it runs.

11 Are you trying to start with or without choke?

12 Does choke work?

13 What color is plug white lite tan, dark tan, dry black?.

14 Is it damp at all after sitting?. Damp is oil, dark dry is too rich, white is too lean, lite tan is ideal.

15 Are your new parts Chinese?

16 Try old coil again

17 Is air cleaner clean?

18 Try starting with no air cleaner lid.

Hope this helps.

big red in iowa
04-07-2013, 02:18 AM
How about doing a compression test

barnett468
04-07-2013, 02:36 AM
Hello Mec Learning

See there you go, another xlnt suggestion, sorry I forgot that one duhhh... but the following may help.

For a 4 stroke gas motor to run it needs a minimum compression rate of approximately 105 psi with the optimum [or new] compression rate being around 160 psi. Anything with a compression level of around 135 or less is generally in need of repair providing the camshaft has not been changed from oem size. Unfortunately compression gauges vary in accuracy by often 15 psi.

Hope this info helps.

BigRedRider85
04-07-2013, 10:48 PM
Don't feel bad man..been fightin a 85 70 and I put a lot more money in it than what I paid for it. Its a passion you either love it or you don't. I thought about kickin the heck out of it and getting a bottle of Jim Beam but I kept my cool and now I DO have atleast a spark. It takes $$$$ and patience...that's all I know!

dougspcs
04-07-2013, 11:06 PM
Mec, check grounds for corrosion..always an simple, basic place to begin. These old trikes, everything will be corrosion. A good clean with some emery and some dielectric grease to seal it. Might be the cause of your weak spark..

Barnett, dude with all due respect..these short stories you write. Way, way over the top..

People aren't looking for Small Engines 101..it's a bit of info overload.

Maybe try being their fresh set of eyes and throw an idea or two, not the whole text book!

tri again
04-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Just trying my psychic abilities.
If your hand hurts from the pull rope, maybe the timing advance plate is
rusty and stuck in some advance position.

Almost every one I've had apart is rusty and the advance plate won't move or it's stuck in the advance position, killing the arm and shoulder and will try to run enough to drive you ka razy.

There are also a couple little return springs in there that can get funky.

I sure hope it's an easy fix after all the attention you've given it.
see if you can click on:
service manual

and puLease let us know what you find.

You'll get it.
We always do.
and then the real problems appear - finding one day that you have 5 of these things.