PDA

View Full Version : 1985 200x Kick Start Return Spring - Not Returning After Rebuild

200xcheezmun
04-07-2013, 09:52 AM
I am a Wisconsin rookie trying to part two motors into one and have a good running machine. And using a manual...

Got the engine and tranny back together, tranny shifted by hand and made sure my return spring is in good condition. However, got the motor ready to go back in and tested the kick start. It kicks over but the lever doesn't return at all. Can anyone tell me if the spring has to be pre-wound from the engine running? I am hoping this occurs after the engine runs for the first time.

Any ideas would be great.
WI Rook

shortline10
04-07-2013, 10:13 AM
The main kicker spring is pre-wound about a half turn also its very important to line ALL the punch marks up . The outer kicker gears if the correct gasket isn't used it will bind as well .
Always test the kicker tension before you install the outer cases for engagement and ratchet function .

200xcheezmun
04-07-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the intel on the spring, I will double check all the punch marks on the outer kicker gears (sounds like I missed one).
My worry was having to dis-assemble the main cases to get back to the return spring.

Another thought was on the latching of the return spring. From my memory, I remember it latched over the inside of the casing that splits the tranny side.
Ever here of the latch following off of the casing?

shortline10
04-07-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes one side of the spring goes in the cavity of the case and the other on the bolt . all those gears have punch marks as well and if their off it wont have the correct spring tension .

Thanks for the intel on the spring, I will double check all the punch marks on the outer kicker gears (sounds like I missed one).
My worry was having to dis-assemble the main cases to get back to the return spring.

Another thought was on the latching of the return spring. From my memory, I remember it latched over the inside of the casing that splits the tranny side.
Ever here of the latch following off of the casing?

honda200xguy
04-07-2013, 02:41 PM
Yes one side of the spring goes in the cavity of the case and the other on the bolt . all those gears have punch marks as well and if their off it wont have the correct spring tension .

Each gear should be lined up with each punchmark. Like on the Shaft that the gear's go on there will be a punchmark and then on the gear itself there will also be punchmarks. Make sure that there ALL lined up.

ballz338
04-08-2013, 10:24 PM
I had a 1985 200x kickstart that wouldn't return and turns out the shaft was very slightly bent. Might not be the problem if yours worked before, but could be worth checking.

Vdubin64
12-30-2014, 03:12 AM
I'm having this same issue.. I've posted (I'm sure in the wrong area of the site).. Anyway, going to continue working on it, until I can get it to return like it should.. I attacked the kicker side of the case.. Only to find , that the spring can not be accessed on that side.. I'll replace the clutch while I'm there.. My return spring is definitely broken, or has slipped off it's designated place.. One end of it, is just hanging.. Any help would be appreciated.. One member stated "good luck" not sure what he meant by that ?? Was he being an ass, or is it truly an insanely difficult job?

tri again
12-30-2014, 04:21 AM
I'm having this same issue.. I've posted (I'm sure in the wrong area of the site).. Anyway, going to continue working on it, until I can get it to return like it should.. I attacked the kicker side of the case.. Only to find , that the spring can not be accessed on that side.. I'll replace the clutch while I'm there.. My return spring is definitely broken, or has slipped off it's designated place.. One end of it, is just hanging.. Any help would be appreciated.. One member stated "good luck" not sure what he meant by that ?? Was he being an ass, or is it truly an insanely difficult job?

I didn't realize that.
I'd take the kicker cover off too.
Interesting no mention of that.
Most manual don't address specific fixes but general assembly
and disassembly.

Seacrh key for "kick start' should get you every thread written.

as far as 'good luck'? comment.
the moderators do not tolerate anything inflammatory.

This site is for hard working folks looking for answers and quite honestly,
some folks on here trust their lives to these machines.
I know we certainly do during fire season so very little time
for shenanigans.

That's what the open forum is for, or 'this n that' , if appropriate.

I'll wish you luck too because I know how frustrating things can get.
Turn off the phone, put the cat and dog away, nice clean work area with good lighting and 1/2 the battle is getting the sequence.
I usually read everything I can get my hands on, even if not specific to my machine, and as always, reverse thread stuff, if applicable, is not always clear.

IS this a 200x problem?