PDA

View Full Version : 1981 250r won't run right...HELP!!!

kfro200m
04-08-2013, 12:34 AM
My 250r was running great the other day went.to it.the next day to go for a ride it starts fine but revs up and just screams like.it's being held full throttle. So I.checked my throttle and it is perfectly fine so my next.guess would be leaking air.but it's not I went through and cleaned the carb and it still screams. I have run out of ideas please help

goump1995
04-08-2013, 12:52 AM
Mine did that when it was out of fuel.

barnett468
04-08-2013, 01:18 AM
My 250r was running great the other day went.to it.the next day to go for a ride it starts fine but revs up and just screams like.it's being held full throttle. So I.checked my throttle and it is perfectly fine so my next.guess would be leaking air.but it's not I went through and cleaned the carb and it still screams. I have run out of ideas please help

Hello

How did you determine it was not leaking air?

Sounds like the slide is not going all the way down. This happens if the cable gets pinched etc. Can you hear the slide bottom out if you open the throttle half way and ket it go?

Is there free play in your cable adjustment?

kfro200m
04-09-2013, 09:10 AM
No I can't hear it when I do.that but I took my airbox off and it sat in place where it should . I look and couldn't see any crack in my rubbers. Yes there is a little free play but very small

kfro200m
04-09-2013, 09:12 AM
Mine did that when it was out of fuel. well it all started when I fixed a fuel.leak but.I.never thought to check if any fuel was left

barnett468
04-09-2013, 10:20 AM
well it all started when I fixed a fuel.leak but.I.never thought to check if any fuel was left

Hello

If that's the case it's a good thing, don't feel bad my minor error was much, much, much....much bigger, lol. If that's not the case then try lowering the slide with the idle screw?

If you have a metal slide which you should, you should be able to hear that thing SLAM down if all is working properly providing you haven't turned your guitar amp to 11 and stood in front of it and played for a while like some moron I know, lol.

oeduardo67
04-09-2013, 08:23 PM
I would change the cable any way. These are 30 year old trikes that may not have ever been serviced. A throttle cable, rebuild kit, and a good cleaning adjusting of the carb would do it no harm. Also replace all fuel lines to obtain better results.

falloutboy
04-10-2013, 02:12 AM
Death Rev = Lean condition. You could have a bad crank seal on the stator side. You can't really tell its bad just by looking at it but it will suck air in and lean out your fuel/air ratio causing the death rev

Your best bet is to pressure test your cylinder. If search around, or someone might have the link on how to do this procedure. This will tell you if have an air leak and let you find it easier.

Here's a pretty good video of the procedure

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdq7NRcUIp8

karendse
04-11-2013, 12:14 AM
i agree with falloutboy i had the same problem with my 83 also check trailprotrailpro intake boot at that age cracks are not unheard of.

karendse
04-11-2013, 12:28 AM
got a good question, what brand of pistons are avaliable i no wisco makes them new and u can get honda ones on ebay but are there any others out there.

barnett468
04-11-2013, 01:03 AM
Hello

Why do you want to know? Are you just looking for a less expensive one?

85-05 trx250 no atc250r pistons

http://shindypro.com/piston_kits.html

3wheelers
04-11-2013, 09:28 AM
Is it out of gas? 2 strokes do that when their out of gas.

honda200xguy
04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
No I can't hear it when I do.that but I took my airbox off and it sat in place where it should . I look and couldn't see any crack in my rubbers. Yes there is a little free play but very small
When you cleaned the carb did the head go into the little whole all the way when you closed it?

kfro200m
04-13-2013, 11:18 PM
Got it running needed a new cable and also.switched to a twist throttle which I prefer better