PDA

View Full Version : 83 ATC 200E Big Red Will Not Shift Into Neutral

roadbiker255
04-08-2013, 08:02 AM
I just recently bought an 83 atc 200e off craigslist without knowing anything about it. The guy I bought it from never had it running (electrical issues). Well, after troubleshooting through that I finally got i to run this past saturday. The only problem I am having now is with the transmission. When I first re-installed the chain (was off when purchased) I could not get it to go into neutral at all. No matter how I rocked it or shook it around while pushing the shift lever down. I always assumed it was in first gear. When pulling up and down it seemed like it was shifting (while not running). Once I got it to crank on saturday it seemed like it was in second gear. Im thinking this because it was really slow/sluggish to get going until the rpms got up then the trike would get faster. But It still would not shift down or shift into neutral even while riding. Can anyone help me troubleshoot what might be wrong. And is there anything to check or try first before cracking it open? Thanks for all the help!

roadbiker255
04-09-2013, 08:27 PM
Just got it back together and drove it arouNd and it is not shifting at all. It is stuck in whatever gear it's in. Ay ideas on how to troubleshoot?

CodyRosa
04-09-2013, 09:12 PM
Ok well this is going to sound stupid.. but is your shifter slipping at all? Like are the shifter shafts splines fine? When i got my 200m I thought it wasn't shifting right then I noticed the shifter was slipping so it wouldn't go into neutral. If yours is fine.. it might be time for a case split? I'm not the best on this but someone will surely answer and help you out! Welcome to 3WW by the way!

ncorry
04-10-2013, 05:21 PM
I'm working on a 1984 200ES now. How did you get it to crank when it wouldn't go into neutral? Does the 83 have the neutral indicator next to the shift lever?

ps2fixer
04-11-2013, 07:41 AM
I'm not sure on the 83 model, but the 84 200es machines shift UP, to down shift, so all the way down is the highest gear.

Anyway, if the shifter isn't slipping, I would guess the shift fork lever got broke, pretty common with 3 wheelers, stuff hits the shifter, and breaks the "forks". Normally when it is broken or bent the shifter will move up and down quite a bit with no actual shift.

Here is what I'm talking about (you might need an ebay account to see it). http://www.ebay.com/itm/1982-ATC200E-Honda-82-Big-Red-ATC-200E-shifter-shift-shaft-/350694591392?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item51a706cba0&nma=true&si=G8TaeFN1JrM5hGob23knAXsfLc4%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557#ht_526wt_989

tri again
04-11-2013, 01:15 PM
Can you get the 'search' box to work?
It may get you tons of info in one shot.

I just went through an 85 sx that wouldn't shift.
Completely different animal but it was a threaded pin that simply came loose.
(and bent so it had to be replaced) but an easy (albeit, scary) situation.

Good luck and please keep us posted.