PDA

View Full Version : Help 1979 honda atc 110 no spark at plug

jeremybruce
04-10-2013, 05:55 PM
I have a 79 Honda atc 110 with a new spark plug. The points are sparking but it will not transfer to the spark plug. How to I test the coil and condenser?? If the coil is bad Where could I find a new one?? I have looked around and there doesn't seem to be any aftermarket for something this old. Will another year and cc size fit?? Thank you all for your input and time. I would really love to get this atc running again.

shortline10
04-10-2013, 06:12 PM
If you haven't replaced the points replace them even if they look good . 90% of the time its the points .
Remove the spark plug cap and cut 1/4" off the coil wire and reinstall the cap , this will insure for a good connection .
After you've done all this and no spark contact me I have coils used and new .

jeremybruce
04-11-2013, 03:11 PM
Thank you very much for the answer. I will try that when I get home in about a week. I will let you know what I come up with. thanks again

tapage
04-14-2013, 10:16 PM
If you haven't replaced the points replace them even if they look good . 90% of the time its the points .
Remove the spark plug cap and cut 1/4" off the coil wire and reinstall the cap , this will insure for a good connection .
After you've done all this and no spark contact me I have coils used and new .
You don't have cut the wire off, you can always just use a continuity tester and if it beeps its good.

shortline10
04-15-2013, 02:49 PM
Showing continuity at the plug cap to wire might not be good enough it has to be a really good connection and by cutting the wire back a little and screwing the cap back on insures this .
Also by probing a tester into the coil wire to check for continuity can contaminate the wire and cause bigger issues .

You don't have cut the wire off, you can always just use a continuity tester and if it beeps its good.

tapage
04-15-2013, 04:45 PM
o... thats how i found my plug wire was bad by checking continuity...

shortline10
04-15-2013, 05:22 PM
This is a 79 atc110 coil were talking about the plug wire ISN'T removable from the coil so tell me how your going to check for continuity :lol: ...
I understand your trying to help but your wrong in this case .

o... thats how i found my plug wire was bad by checking continuity...

jeremybruce
04-15-2013, 09:55 PM
Well I installed new points and set them to .014. The spark is bright at the points. Installed a new plug and set gap to .025. Took a 1/4 inch of the end of the plug wire and I still have no spark at the plug. The coil number is FL501AC. If anyone has a good coil I would be interested in it. my number is 402-416-1497. Thanks