PDA

View Full Version : 85 250sx cam chain slides

Larry T Moore
04-10-2013, 10:26 PM
Im gearing up to replace the cam chain in my 85 250sx....Ive got a spare engine thats been sitting outside for several years so I thought Id tear it down and reassemble it to get the feel for what I need to do...so far it hasnt seem like much of a hassle other than getting the chain slides out...the one the tensioner pushes against came right out but the other side is hung on the little pin...is there an easy way to get this out?:wondering...or Ive been told leave the old sliders and just replace the chain....I appreciate any and all feedback

barnett468
04-11-2013, 04:34 AM
Hello

If it hasn't been replaced it may be "dried" out from heat and time so even if it looks good it may crack rubber off it at any time. If it looks good and feels soft you can know better as to whether you want to leave it or not. Unfortunately you must remove the clutches to get to the lower mounting bolt to remove it. See photo below.

OEM MANUAL SEE PAGE 10-28

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/atc250sx_85-87_servicemanual.pdf

Hope this info helps.

Larry T Moore
04-11-2013, 06:43 AM
yea,,,I went all through the spare and did all that...Im planning on changing them..Its just the left side one hung on that pin and I cant it to come off it...Im gonna inspect the clutches and shoes while Im in there and replace as necessary...

barnett468
04-11-2013, 07:26 AM
yea,,,I went all through the spare and did all that...Im planning on changing them..Its just the left side one hung on that pin and I cant it to come off it...Im gonna inspect the clutches and shoes while Im in there and replace as necessary...

Hello Larry T Moore

OK, got ya, you are already there. I haven't done this for a million years however if there is no retaining clip covering the end of the guide to prevent it from coming off then it is most likely a "press" on fit. The head of the pin should be slightly larger than the shaft of the pin and the tensioner will have a "split" bushing which will expand enough for the tensioner to be removed and installed. It would be nice to have someone confirm this but strangely no one has commented yet. There must be many here that know this hopefully if you can't see what I'm talking about you can wait for more advice. I would simply carefully try to "pry" it off with something from behind. If ypu grab it with pliers at the pin/bushing then the pliers will hold the bushing/sleeve closed and it won't be able to come off.

Hope this info helps.

Larry T Moore
04-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Hello barnett
the pin is made into the slide itself..looks from the manuals i gotta pull the head to get it out...and thts farther than I wanted to go...maybe rering and hone while Im in there...:wondering....

tri again
04-11-2013, 12:44 PM
I wish I knew as I may be next for the olympic chain event.

I'd like to ask a favor?
Is there any way you can sorta keep track of how the tensioner
pushes on the guide rail?
In other words, I'd like to know if there's a way to check tensioner and chain health on
an assembled engine.
Thinking if we pull the tensioner out, let it step and lock out to it's full extension,
and then be able to measure the distance from the engine case to the tensioner,
hopefully indicating it has, say, another quarter inch of throw left.

Seems like it would be an easy 'service limit' test but I've not found any
info.
Good luck and please keep us posted.
Seems like a few of us are in the same boat.

-as a side note, (silly question) it seems like the sx models are more prone to chain stretch than the es bigreds.
MAYbe because they tend to get run harder?

Larry T Moore
04-11-2013, 01:14 PM
Tri
no kidding...I played with the chain before I got to removing it...the slide adjuster can only go so far and if ya had on of those bolt adjusters it would prolly push the chain into the head and bend the slide...I looked one up and read the instructions...unless ya got some kinda site plug to play with the chain I wouldnt screw with one....it seems to be fairly easy to do...I took it off and put it back and stuck everything back where it went...turned the motor over by hand..took it out again...I think maybe an hour or two depending on mountain dew and pizza:naughty:...Im gonna call on the left side adjuster to see if theres a simple way to get it out with pulling the head

Larry T Moore
04-11-2013, 01:35 PM
just got off the phone with Bloomington powersports....their ATC go to guy said..."you cannot pull out the left slide without removing the head"...F**K!..anyhoo.he said to inspect it and if doesnt seem to be too crappy just leave it...and to change the tensioner side tho..and of course as we know..Inspect the cam gear...also said he'd prolly stay away from those bolt tensioner adjusters...and just FYI...a new cam chain from Honda is 116.00 and the slide adjuster is 53.00:(....so there ya have it....so tear into and enjoy:lol:

tri again
04-11-2013, 01:53 PM
wow
thanks
the only fun sounding part is the pizza.

but just think, it will run for another 25 years, so 4 times a century isn't too bad.

Reminds me of my favorite unintentional joke I heard when buying a trike.

The guy says to me he says, " just put in a new (------) and it will run
ForEver AGAIN!

barnett468
04-12-2013, 05:46 AM
just got off the phone with Bloomington powersports....their ATC go to guy said..."you cannot pull out the left slide without removing the head"...F**K!..anyhoo.he said to inspect it and if doesnt seem to be too crappy just leave it...and to change the tensioner side tho..and of course as we know..Inspect the cam gear...also said he'd prolly stay away from those bolt tensioner adjusters...and just FYI...a new cam chain from Honda is 116.00 and the slide adjuster is 53.00:(....so there ya have it....so tear into and enjoy:lol:

Hello Larry T Moore

Yeah basically checking it and leaving it concurs with my original comment. The reason they did it this way is to save .20c on a clip or bolt to hold it instead, lol. They also probably hooed if the made a customer take their cylinder off to replace tgis that might entice the owner into buying a new ring and piston since they are already there, lol.

As far as the chain cost goes I'll check out another source for you, someone here just bought one for $20.00 but I don't know if it's for your model or Japanese or Chinese made etc.

barnett468
04-12-2013, 06:04 AM
Hello

Sorry couldn't find it, below is probably a Chinese one if they make them. If not maybe it might be ok.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Timing-Cam-Chain-Honda-85-87-ATC250ES-SX-Big-Red-CC410-/300602724900?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item45fd519224

Larry T Moore
04-12-2013, 07:52 PM
I found some D.I.D. chains for 60..with free shipping...appreciate the effort though

barnett468
04-12-2013, 10:47 PM
I found some D.I.D. chains for 60..with free shipping...appreciate the effort though

You're welcome. I hate to see people pay oem prices when an aftermarket part is often half as much and almost as good providing it is made by a quality company.

DID is good stuff in case you weren't sure.

Good luck with it.

Larry T Moore
04-13-2013, 01:05 AM
Ive been farting around with 3-wheelers since 79...started out on a 110...went to a 200s then onto an 86 200x...Ive had over 20 some odd bikes and currently looking at a klt 160....so Ive been around them a bit...Ive torn down the 70, 90 and 110 engines and used D.I.D...always had decent luck with them....right now Im just tooling around on the 85 250sx and having fun...I do miss the 225dx special I had and I never fixed up the 110 christmas special like I planned..but..I have the time now...so may as well do this sx..

barnett468
04-13-2013, 03:00 AM
Hello

Thanks for the info. So you want a klt 160? I did the Rand D testing on those and the tecates etc when I worked at Kawi R and D back then so I'm kind of fond of them? Hope you find a nice one!I

Larry T Moore
04-13-2013, 08:09 AM
Ive stopped by a couple of times but I cant catch the guy at home..hes got it chained to a tree...must be afraid it'll follow me home:lol: