PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my 250es big red

200xManiac
04-11-2013, 07:42 PM
I have a 250 big red (1985). When I got it it had all sorts of issues with electrical. So I replaced starter etc and now it turns over and I have good spark. So I then went to next thing and cleaned carb before I try starting it. After I did this I was ready to start it so I tried and it wouldn't. It has good spark and carb gets fuel but seems like no fuel is getting to cylinder/spsrk plug so I dumped a little down cylinder and still nothing besides smoke coming out of carb and smoke filling inside of cylinder and motor. Anyone got any ideas?

dougspcs
04-11-2013, 08:41 PM
Once your plugs is fuel saturated it's done..a NEW plug would be a good start.

200xManiac
04-11-2013, 08:53 PM
I put brand new plug in.

200xManiac
04-11-2013, 08:54 PM
Im wondering why its not getting fuel to cylinder and whats making engine fill with smoke

AussieATC
04-12-2013, 05:46 AM
Is the carb blocked?

barnett468
04-12-2013, 06:39 AM
Hello

Are you sure there is gas in the float bowl?

Just to see if it will fire you might try flammable brake cleaner or startring fluid.Open theb throttle all the way sprsay some in there close the throttle to 1/4 and try it.

1. Is the gas new, old brown gas won't burn well if at all in your motor.

2. Do a compression test

3. Check for intake leaks?

4. Check valve setting

5. Check cam timing.

6. What color was the oild plug?

7. White/grey smoke is oil black or very dark is gas, what color is it?

dougspcs
04-12-2013, 07:31 AM
2. Do a compression test

If you're saying the 'engine is filling with smoke' you mean the crankcase has combustion gases in it? Then skip to #2 on Barnett's list..

dougspcs
04-12-2013, 08:28 AM
I put brand new plug in.

But then you poured fuel in the cylinder right? And who taught you to do that anyway..it's mental!

Get another new plug..then do the compression test as stated.

If this machine is new to you and you've never heard it run you have to start with a basic engine health assessment.

Until that you're just wasting time..

Big G
04-12-2013, 01:08 PM
But then you poured fuel in the cylinder right? And who taught you to do that anyway..it's mental!

Hey Doug, I've used this tactic many a time working on small engines. I pull the plug, take a syringe and just squirt a small amount of fuel in the cylinder, replace the plug then crank the engine over to see if she fires. Sometimes it helps to narrow things down when troubleshooting. Just wondering what's mental about doing that :wondering

200xManiac
04-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Im not 100% sure that there's gas in float bowl. I cleaned carb and it gets fuel to it. Ive never fone compression tests or valves or cams. Spark plug is brand new and smoke I think was greyish

200xManiac
04-12-2013, 01:20 PM
What do you mean?

200xManiac
04-12-2013, 01:36 PM
Thinkn about selling

dougspcs
04-12-2013, 01:49 PM
Im not 100% sure that there's gas in float bowl. I cleaned carb and it gets fuel to it. Ive never fone compression tests or valves or cams. Spark plug is brand new and smoke I think was greyish

Crack the flat screw on the bottom of the bowl to see if fuel drains out..

This will tell you if there is fuel in the bowl.

dougspcs
04-12-2013, 02:37 PM
Hey Doug, I've used this tactic many a time working on small engines. I pull the plug, take a syringe and just squirt a small amount of fuel in the cylinder, replace the plug then crank the engine over to see if she fires. Sometimes it helps to narrow things down when troubleshooting. Just wondering what's mental about doing that :wondering

I personally don't feel that the use of gas in the intake/spark plug socket, quick start or any other 'backyard' technique provide any diagnostic capacity..

With a simple engine like these checking spark/valve timing, carb function or lack there of, ignition operation, mechanical function and other troubleshooting are simple and fundamentals that will resolve any issue.

The practice of dumping unmetered amounts of flammable fluid into the engine is pointless..and potentially dangerous.

ps2fixer
04-14-2013, 04:41 AM
Kind of a stab in the dark, but maybe timing? And if the timing is off... you need to check your valves to see if they got bent and the timing chain/tensioner. If timing is spot on, then it is between compression or air/fuel mix getting into the cyl, aka carb.

Are you kick starting or using the starter? Lately I have seen a few people with problems with electric start, kick start might oddly give different results.

200xManiac
04-14-2013, 10:53 AM
ps2fixer, Thanks for the info. Things are starting to make more sense with everyones help. I have been trying to start by using electric start only because just like every big red Ive seemed to get my hands on always has something wrong with the kickstarter slipping and not engaging. So I have had to buy a battery and a starter so far just to do so. Also is it true that these have to have a battery connected to use kickstart as well?

ps2fixer
04-14-2013, 07:18 PM
Battery is not required, I have a couple of these machines with no battery and they run fine with out it, same goes for the 84 200es.