PDA

View Full Version : Real 350x or mismatch of parts

Tractor350x
04-12-2013, 09:34 AM
I am shopping for a 350x & think I found a decent one. I am looking for pointers in general on what to look out for on buying a used machine, never owned a 3 wheeler before. Also what to look for or ask for to determine is this a 350x or parts swapped around on something else? I have gotten little info from the seller & it is about 2 hour drive for me. 1985 350x ridin very little. Ran great in 2009. So not much to go on other than this picture. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

BigRedRider85
04-12-2013, 09:52 AM
Looks all original to me and in excellent shape. Listen for odd noises in engine, make sure it doesn't leak oil around the drain plug/cases. Make sure there is no case damage in front of sprocket(make sure there is no jb weld or anything like that). Make sure the clutch is good and rear axle doesn't have any play. Also check the frame for cracks/repairs.

pipeline triker
04-12-2013, 10:13 AM
Looks like a nice trike, I wish I could find one like that. Depending on the price I would jump on that one.

Tractor350x
04-12-2013, 10:14 AM
Hey thanks. I assume that "ran great in 09 has not been started since" means I won't hear it run:( I think the price is reasonable enough to load it in the truck & take a gamble on what it is? The communication on this thing has been terrible & I'm not sure what the whole story is. but I am trying to find out. Thanks again! One other question not sure how good anyone can look at the picture, but i don't see two head lights, in 85 were they a single lens? I guess the angle of the guard is blocking it, I don;t know. That & the lack of communication is kinda makin me feel uneasy about what I am getting into.

Tractor350x
04-12-2013, 10:15 AM
What is too much to gamble on it if i don't hear it run based on looks alone?

Tractor350x
04-12-2013, 10:37 AM
How can i tell the 350 engine from something else? Is there an id tag any where or just the sticker on the frame that has the model & manufacture year? Anything I can use to make sure its not a 200 or 250 with a 350x seat on it? Physical measurements or any other giveaways? Thanks for any pointers. Got a bonus @ work & I am ready for a 350x, but I am not a pro on these old 3 wheelers.

BigRedRider85
04-12-2013, 10:49 AM
you can always do a compression test when you get there..could be just the carb. Id just be str8 up with the guy and ask him whats the deal with it, does he want to sell it, is he havin second thoughts, whats the deal? Headlight looks original to me. I would def go check it out...make sure it has fire atleast if you cant hear it run.

Tractor350x
04-12-2013, 11:29 AM
Well I don't understand craglists adds that don't have phone numbers or pictures. Person posted it, so I assume they want to sell it. I want to buy it, but waitn on them to tell me when & where to go get it. Every email I sent them had my phone number in it, you would think they would call it or tell me to get lost. Any rate I didn't think about the compression test, would assume the kick start could tell me something, I do have a gauge, what do I need to take to remove the spark plug? My tester fits chainsaw plugs, is this the same size? Thanks

Buck Snort
04-12-2013, 11:42 AM
I have dealt with people on the internet who are selling things and they make it just impossible to buy the item. I don't get it! But that trike looks like it is worth the effort to me. Nice trike.

CodyRosa
04-12-2013, 09:41 PM
That looks like a 350x motor, it has 2 pipes for the header. 200x or anything else like that doesn't have 2 only 1. You could tell a 2stroke exhaust over a 4 stroke. Everything looks to be there, plastics in great shape, not sure if those are original tires or not. I say buy it!

Tractor350x
04-19-2013, 11:38 AM
Never heard back & the add is gone. Oh well, think I got deal workin on 1 with a little more cc's