PDA

View Full Version : Hey guys I'm new on here and have a question

Harobikes1988
04-14-2013, 07:46 PM
So there is a guy with an 85 tri z the limited edition black one near mint condition I have a 2004 Honda 400ex and he wants to do a straight trade I'm wondering if the z is worth the even trade. The trike looks good in the pics and I'm going tomorrow to look at it. I use to have a 84 250r around 8 years ago I love the trikes but don't wanna lose out if it's not worth the deal.

CodyRosa
04-14-2013, 07:56 PM
Well honestly that depends on what those two things are going for in your neck of the woods. Around here a 400ex is like 2000 or around there if i remember right.. and Tri z's well the ones i've seen are 1000 BUT they are no where near mint absolutely no where near it, they always need work or look beat. Personally i'd do it but that's because I love trikes =) Around here though i think you'd be getting the better end of the deal.

Harobikes1988
04-14-2013, 08:02 PM
Haha yea the ex goes for around 2300 here but the tri z forget about it lol no one has em I saw 2 on craigs for 900 but both were beat the pics of this one are nice plastics are close to mint no cracks and he said he started it up today after sitting and it started on the first kick. He also has the paperwork for it which surprised me guess I just wanted some thoughts from you guys since I haven't owned a trike in years. I love em though I had a few growing up the 250r was my last one and I love the two strokes.

CodyRosa
04-14-2013, 08:34 PM
Yea honestly i couldn't even guess what that tri z is worth because like i said i've seen 2 and both went for a grand even but they were crap lol beat, no where close to even nice in my opinion. If its as nice as you say, mint then yea go for it! I'm not sure about 2 strokes like what to look for but check that frame, make sure no cracks, check swing arm for cracks. If you got a buddy with you, have one of you pick up the back and wiggle the rear end, sit on it and rock left and right to check those rear swing arm bearings, you could look at the shocks and see if any are leaking at the seals. See if anything looks misplaced or even missing. Just a nice little check list for ya haha.. oh yea and bring a compression tester if you have one, can't hurt!

If you decide to get it please show pictures!

Harobikes1988
04-14-2013, 08:43 PM
How can I post pics from my phone he sent a couple I actualy asked him if it needed anything because I just got done rebuilding the ex lol all new bushings and bearings. He said it's all tight and can run at idle through a whole tank without fowling the plug and also said it has no leaks. It's def one of the nicest trikes I have seen around here it has a full eg exhaust and v force reeds. I'll try to post pics if it will let me

CodyRosa
04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
are you writing back on this thread from your phone or computer? On your phone go to this site and this thread and you should be able to post the image by finding the image link when your replying to me. If you want you can try texting the picture to CodyRosa1@textplus.com and then i'll do it for you.

Harobikes1988
04-14-2013, 08:47 PM
167446 here they are not sure if it worked

Harobikes1988
04-14-2013, 08:49 PM
167451 here is another

Harobikes1988
04-14-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm using an iPad but the pics were on my phone but I loaded them on he just gave it a quick wipe down said it cleans up a lot better but to me it looks great

CodyRosa
04-14-2013, 10:22 PM
Wow real nice/clean machine! I say get it!!!!!! haha Screw that 400ex piece of junk its got an extra wheel for some reason ;)

tapage
04-14-2013, 10:36 PM
167451 here is another
sorry ive never seen any other trike besides honda but wheres its gas cap?...

CodyRosa
04-14-2013, 10:44 PM
I think there under the seat, at least thats where i was told the gas tank was. I've never seen a tri z in person as well.

Harobikes1988
04-14-2013, 11:23 PM
yea the tank is under the seat and the air filter is where the tanks normally sit it def is a nasty trike and i really am considering it. just hope its solid and runs good cause i put alot of time into my ex lol

muthey
04-15-2013, 11:12 PM
I just bought a 85 tri-z there really is no special edition, but I paid 1500$ for mine and here is a pic for you
In my area with oil field mania I could sell it for 2500- 3000$ but that's because there are alot of people with too much money on their hands.

Harobikes1988
04-15-2013, 11:21 PM
Yea I ended up doing the trade after I got home I washed it and it's in the same shape as your pic you posted but while swapping hubs the threads stripped out on the axle I think it was over tightened previously or else ridden with it loose so I am gonna try to re thread it I hope it works but it starts right up and runs great it's defenetly the nicest three wheeler around here like this

muthey
04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
to do the threads, you have two options? you can have it machined down, and tapped a smaller size of metric, or use a national coarse or fine that will cut new threads over the old but under no circumstance have it welded up and machined and threaded back to original threads as you will ruin the tempering properties of the axle welding on it.

belly
04-17-2013, 07:48 AM
It's about time you got rid of the ex and got a real machine ryan. Good trade!

JasonB
04-17-2013, 08:47 AM
doesnt look like a bad machine at all, hope you get the axle rethreaded. take your time on that, I actually rethreaded my 84 250R durablue axle at trikefest in 2007 the first day we arrived. talk about nerve racking lol just do it SLOW! Depending on how messed up the threads are you might be able to chase them with the stock thread pattern die and save them without going smaller or switching to standard.

Harobikes1988
04-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Haha thanks bellin the tri z def rips I thought we were able to save the threads so I went and got a new hub nut and tightened it down and went for a quick ride and bam junk was stripped right out again the threads matched up so idk maybe get a new axle. Would you need to machine it down to get to the next size down I don't know anyone around here that does that kind of work

honda200xguy
04-18-2013, 08:53 PM
looks like a nice tri-z

muthey
04-19-2013, 12:58 PM
to het to the next metric size more than likely, but if you went with an american fine thread, you should be able to convert it as it is, is alot cheaper than a new axle or paying for machining

Harobikes1988
04-19-2013, 09:17 PM
hey thanks honda200x it is def pretty clean i plan to restore it after this summer. and thanks muthey ill try to tap it to a fine thread we tried to just run a corse thread back over it that was the original size but it didnt hold im def trying to hold off on a new axle. i just want to get it through the summer since i plan to tear it down this coming winter and replace all the bearings and bushings throughout the entire machine and make her look new again ik a guy where i can get the frame powder coated for around 100 bucks. but ill talk to a buddy and see if he has a tap and die set that goes up to the stock size of the threaded end.