PDA

View Full Version : 84 Honda 200x headlight issue =/

CodyRosa
04-15-2013, 03:40 AM
Ok so before when I had headlights they were pretty bright, lit up the road plenty enough to see at night time. That was when i had my 200M bottom end and that stator output was 120. Remember this is on a 200x without that regulator SOOOOOo i had to get a bigger/higher wattage bulb up front and rear is stock I believe. Well now i'm running a 185 bottom with a stator that has a output of 90. When i turn my light on the thing lights up maybe 2, 3 feet in front of me and I still can barely see those 3 feet lol. This thing is junk, i only turn it on so people can see me. Now i was very very confused when I turned it on today and one other time and it was very bright, like where it should be but it only lasted 3 seconds and then went to dim again and stayed like that. I can hit bumps and it doesn't shut the light off or anything so no wires are loose.. AND when I rev the motor the light stays exactly the same.. no brighter and no dimmer. =(

Anyone have any idea as to where to check? Is my bulb the culprit or something else?

Thanks

barnett468
04-15-2013, 03:53 AM
Hello

Check the voltage at battery with bike off.

Check the voltage at idle.

Check the voltage at 1/3 - 1/2 throttle

What do you get.

Sounds like either regulator or stator.

CodyRosa
04-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Ok and how do i go about checking the voltage? What kind of tool would do this?

barnett468
04-15-2013, 10:18 PM
Hello

A volt meter. They are around $15.00 at radio shack or other electronic stores. They require a small battery. Set the nob to 0-50 volts. Hold the red lead on the positive battery terminal and the black one one the ground terminal. Have a friend hold your throttle open for you. Look at needle CLOSELY. It is only going to move around 2 volts which is hard to see. Easy deal

jb2wheels
04-16-2013, 09:23 AM
What's the watt rating on the bulb?
How do you know you have a 90W stator?
The 185/200 series had a low output stator and could barely light up the 45W headlight and 5W tail light they came with.
The 200X came with a little better stator and a 60W/5W head/tail combo.

Anyway - I bet your bulb is the problem.

Also, when checking voltage on these, remember the lighting circuit is AC not DC.

jb2wheels
04-16-2013, 09:24 AM
Any reason you cant use the M lighting coil?

oldskool83
04-16-2013, 10:26 AM
I'd get a new bulb, my guess is is stock well past its life span and they make hallogens now. I'm gonna put in a hallogen R light on mine.

CodyRosa
04-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Ok so before I had a 200M with a 200M stator that had an output of 120.. then I traded that stator a good 185 bottom end with a stator that had an output of 90. I actually blew the original 200x headlight out when I put the 200M motor in.. lol i had a blown taillight without knowing. Anyways its a new one AND I had put a higher output to make up for it so it doesn't blow that front one.. the back one is even a bigger taillight sense the original was burnt out. I think the bulb i took was from our bobcat.

I can check the wattage on that headlight next time i go outside. I'm starting to think my bulbs are to much wattage..