PDA

View Full Version : I can't figure out what year my bike is

Polkerson
04-15-2013, 09:50 AM
It has high low and reverse shaft. Idk if it a 84 model or what.

kb0nly
04-15-2013, 11:26 AM
If its a hi/lo/reverse and shaft drive it might be an 84 200ES IF its a 200 motor, but you didnt say if it was a 200 or 250, there is other models it can be also.. Post some pictures and we can tell you for sure.

Polkerson
04-15-2013, 11:55 AM
It's a 200

kb0nly
04-15-2013, 12:39 PM
Then its an 84 200ES, the only shaft drive 200.

Polkerson
04-15-2013, 12:54 PM
Are these pretty dependable bikes? I heard the 84' was the best running Honda 3 wheeler there is. Lasting wise that is.

kb0nly
04-15-2013, 03:41 PM
I think they are rock solid dependable... They do have a couple quirks, one is their shoddy/weak CDI unit, but rewiring to a new plug fixes that for like $20-$30, i have done a few of them now and its been discussed on here many times. If you every get quirky start no start spark no spark issues start with that darn CDI unit. Otherwise they don't have any more or any less problems than other trikes their age.

Make sure you change the gear oil in the rear end!! And do regular oil changes. If you don't know for a fact that the last owner has done it i would also pull the right cover off and clean the centrifugal oil filter, its actually just a cup shaped piece that the oil slings around in and it collects junk from the oil, if it gets plugged up it can starve the top end for oil. Other than regular maintenance they will last a long time, i have had totally ratty 200ES's here that still ran like a top, though they looked like hell... LOL

Big G
04-16-2013, 11:52 AM
Hey Kb0nly, what's the centrifugal oil filter? I've never heard of this one before? Is it on the 200E's as well?

kb0nly
04-16-2013, 09:26 PM
Its on all the 200 motors... Under the right cover there is a cup shaped part they call the oil filter rotor. The output of the oil pump goes up through it, the centrifugal force separates out some junk and it sits inside that til you clean it out. Most of the ones i have taken apart, including mine, had a layer of black gunk and fine aluminum powder from normal engine wear.

If you go to my manual server below and go to the 200E manual, open that, the pdf file will open with categories on the left, click Lubrication and scroll down a few pages you will see the page on the oil filter rotor. To do this job you need the gasket for the right cover, and the gasket for the oil filter rotor, NO SILICONE, you don't want a plugged up oil galley from any bits of silicone used. A bottom end gasket set can be had pretty cheap these days, that will give you all the gaskets you need.

Most of the time will this hurt anything? NO... But that oil filter rotor can get mighty full up affecting oil flow, i had one that we had to take apart for clutch work anyway, that oil filter rotor was packed full of gunk, you couldn't even see the contours of the inside of it as it was just solid crap.

Big G
04-17-2013, 12:03 PM
Geez...good to know. I've owned by 200 for 19 years, and never knew about this (not sure how I missed it). Gonna have to order those gaskets and take a peek in there - I'm sure it'll need a cleaning. Thanks for the info on this one! :p

kb0nly
04-17-2013, 05:16 PM
I would guess my 200ES was never opened up either on the right side, that was the first time i can almost guarantee it as i am the second owner of this 200ES and the original owner said the motor had never been opened up since he bought it new in 84, so i highly doubt the rotor was ever cleaned... LOL

I would have to look at the owners manual, i don't know if thats a recommended maintenance item in there, but its discussed in the service manual.

Mine had a good 1/4" thick buildup around the inside of the rotor. Most of it was probably there since the engine was first broke in, judging by the gray silvery oldest layer, it was like an archeological dig through the life of the motor looking at the layers in that crud. Its like you could see the seasons, lighter colored deposits and then darker deposits from different riding conditions, etc. It was kinda neat in a way.

Big G
04-17-2013, 05:40 PM
Kinda like determining the age of a tree by counting the growth rings! Ha ha!

big red crazy
04-21-2013, 05:18 PM
look at the serial numbers on the frame it will tell you the year and model