PDA

View Full Version : Things you don't want to see on a trail ride..!!

dougspcs
04-16-2013, 07:28 AM
So a bit of back story to this video to explain..

It was shot last year on our spring ATV rally my brother and I attend..we are the only 3 wheelers out of a pack of about 400 riders. It's a great thing to show them what a couple of 40something guys on 25 year old machines can do!!

Anyway, this section of the trail is intended for advance riders only..it's a mud pit about 100 yards long and you basically drive in as far as you can til you get stuck. Then fight with your machine to get it unstuck and ride another 10 yards until you get stuck again and repeat..keep at it and have any energy at all there is a hill to be climbed that rivals Everest..(we're told..we never saw it)

We attempted it, got 20 yards in and turned around..this section is about 4 hours into our days ride and we simply didn't have the reserve energy to fight with our machines. No shame in bailing and after all we are 40something as I mentioned.!!

After fighting to get out trikes out of the pit we were resting and watching other riders stage to enter..

This guy, we'll call him Jack, was with a group and decided to take a different angle..ride up and over the rock that was funnelling everyone into the pit. If he made it over he may have been able to cut around the pit thru the bush..but I'll put it this way, he was the only one attempting it for a reason!

http://youtu.be/WXHz0Zabdjo

Thankfully Jack wasn't seriously hurt, the small tree deflected his quad and force it to roll instead of landing directly on top of him or this might have been a video not worthy of publishing!! Also Darcy, with his triage accident training was the man!! Knew exactly how to handle the guy..

Jack got up and after a bit of recovery time managed to finish the ride..

Moral to the story..when you are deep in the bush, with no chance of rescue in case of accident. Don't be a Jack!!

LastFoolerInVA
04-16-2013, 08:56 AM
those dam 4 wheelers are soo freakin dangerous... they should be outlawed!!!

atc007
04-16-2013, 10:40 AM
Happens quick! Glad Jack was ok,,he had a cpl things there that could have REALLY made for a bad day,especially his leg !! Lucky Jack :)

Xhumeka
04-16-2013, 11:29 AM
Scary to watch!!! Sure glad he wasn't hurt badly.

dougspcs
04-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Scary to watch!!! Sure glad he wasn't hurt badly.

Yeah, after looking at the video we were of the opinion that if the tree wasn't there that cause the machine to roll off of him and right itself, he'd likely have been seriously injured or even killed.

The way it happened little if any of the weight of the machine actually landed on him..mostly just him hitting the ground..

LastFoolerInVA
04-16-2013, 01:42 PM
If jack was stuck on a donkey... would you help jack off the donkey??

dougspcs
04-16-2013, 04:19 PM
If jack was stuck on a donkey... would you help jack off the donkey??

That's just messed up!!

TatTooL23
04-17-2013, 12:19 AM
I don't c any video at all....?

dougspcs
04-17-2013, 06:57 AM
I don't c any video at all....?

You must be looking at the site on your Iphone? Or your browser is screwed up on your computer..

Try this..

Matt85'350x
04-17-2013, 12:17 PM
The thing about that rock/hill is that it doesn't look that bad-from the video it looks like he should have made it. Now I know full well that videos don't always show what it's like in real life, so correct me if I'm wrong but why couldn't he make it? Seems like maybe a different approach angle and/or some more body english and he would have been over.

So a bit of back story to this video to explain..

It was shot last year on our spring ATV rally my brother and I attend..we are the only 3 wheelers out of a pack of about 400 riders. It's a great thing to show them what a couple of 40something guys on 25 year old machines can do!!

Anyway, this section of the trail is intended for advance riders only..it's a mud pit about 100 yards long and you basically drive in as far as you can til you get stuck. Then fight with your machine to get it unstuck and ride another 10 yards until you get stuck again and repeat..keep at it and have any energy at all there is a hill to be climbed that rivals Everest..(we're told..we never saw it)

We attempted it, got 20 yards in and turned around..this section is about 4 hours into our days ride and we simply didn't have the reserve energy to fight with our machines. No shame in bailing and after all we are 40something as I mentioned.!!

After fighting to get out trikes out of the pit we were resting and watching other riders stage to enter..

This guy, we'll call him Jack, was with a group and decided to take a different angle..ride up and over the rock that was funnelling everyone into the pit. If he made it over he may have been able to cut around the pit thru the bush..but I'll put it this way, he was the only one attempting it for a reason!

Thankfully Jack wasn't seriously hurt, the small tree deflected his quad and force it to roll instead of landing directly on top of him or this might have been a video not worthy of publishing!! Also Darcy, with his triage accident training was the man!! Knew exactly how to handle the guy..

Jack got up and after a bit of recovery time managed to finish the ride..

Moral to the story..when you are deep in the bush, with no chance of rescue in case of accident. Don't be a Jack!!

dougspcs
04-17-2013, 03:29 PM
The thing about that rock/hill is that it doesn't look that bad-from the video it looks like he should have made it. Now I know full well that videos don't always show what it's like in real life, so correct me if I'm wrong but why couldn't he make it? Seems like maybe a different approach angle and/or some more body english and he would have been over.

Perspective is wacked on camera..especially the HD GoPro on wide. I love the camera, but the one thing I notice when looking at my videos after a ride is that I keep saying..'hey I remember that spot on the ride, but it looked a lot steeper in real life'

That was actually a really steep rock face, I looked at it and considered hitting it as we stage for the pit..but my judgement said it would end badly.

Maybe if he'd been more up in the saddle and let off on the throttle as the front end came up..he may have made it?

Thorpe
08-27-2013, 08:39 PM
Also, Jack was standing, and plopped down (guessing) about 300 lbs onto the rear suspension, just as the front end was getting to its lightest point in the hill climb... Basically a reverse preload of the suspension. Certainly didn't help him any!

Ghostv2
08-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Looks way too cold to be messing around with any bike in a mud pit and getting wet. If he were on a 3 wheeler and rolled it on him i think he would of been better off honestly, not nearly as heavy as them big utility four wheelers.

Jason125m
10-16-2013, 04:17 PM
Looks way too cold to be messing around with any bike in a mud pit and getting wet.

Pfffft, americans.