PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here have a projector ,instead of a TV ?

atc007
04-16-2013, 06:04 PM
When I built our home,I went with a great room instead of a Living room. Wouldn't ever do it again,but anyhow! I have a Huge wall,I have always had a 60-70 in projection tv. So,,I can pick up a 70 in LED which will do everything I will ever ask of it for around $1200 ish. I was gonna go projector the last time the bulb went out of my JVC projection tv set.. But ,I put a bulb in it and it actually had a MUCH better/brighter pic with the Ebay bulb for a third the price. Anyhow,it's dead again and it's not the bulb. I was gonna get a black diamond screen if I go projector,but wouldn't until it was all set up and I KNEW I needed it. They are not cheap. I don't know anyone,other than our school lol,that has a projector. Figured it's worth a try to ask lol. Thanx !

tri again
04-17-2013, 02:31 AM
Hey there.
I just went through the same kinda thing.

Just check out
www.shopjimmy.com

They're in MN and after 4 years and getting tv's from the dump, they are the largest
tv parts supplier in the usa if not the world.
They have a FREE talk to tech option.
24 hr, chat and / or voice line.
GREAT people, 90 day guarantee on parts even if what you buy is not the problem.

Hey Bill, pm me with a mail address and I'll send you some neodymium magnets.
I think the ones I like are 10mmx4mm.

Hope all is well.

kb0nly
04-17-2013, 10:33 AM
I would go LCD if it was in that position, mainly because now days you can get a HUGE 96" LCD or the like and their lifetime is thousands and thousands of hours compared to the projectors lifetime. I know projectors can have some benefits too but the expense of them now for a really good one just makes the LCD look better. For the longest time i considered a projector when it came time to upgrade from my large rear projection tv, then i got looking at LCD's and i was blown away by the resolution on them, i have been LCD only for about six years now.

atc007
04-17-2013, 10:40 AM
You simply confirmed what I was already thinking,especially considering I was going with a black diamond. TRI,I'm gonna give them a call ! Thanx guys !

kb0nly
04-17-2013, 05:27 PM
Hey there.
I just went through the same kinda thing.

Just check out
www.shopjimmy.com

They're in MN and after 4 years and getting tv's from the dump, they are the largest
tv parts supplier in the usa if not the world.
They have a FREE talk to tech option.
24 hr, chat and / or voice line.
GREAT people, 90 day guarantee on parts even if what you buy is not the problem.

Hey Bill, pm me with a mail address and I'll send you some neodymium magnets.
I think the ones I like are 10mmx4mm.

Hope all is well.

Good company by the way... I have bought power supplies, mainboards, even entire lcd screens from them, as well as other tv related parts. Its amazing what they have in stock sometimes. They get a lot of their stuff from hazardous waste collection sites, municipal dumps with a sort area for electronics, etc. They recycle them in the best way possible and reuse them. I know one guy that bought complete working tv's from them, they had some scratches or dings but made you wonder why the original owner tossed them.

tri again
04-18-2013, 09:02 AM
I got a sony 52" from a neighbor.
Bought it for his sick wife.
She died and the tv died so my thought was to fix it and give it back to him.
In my search for answers, I ran across shopjimmy.com.

Shopjimmy started with dump trips and has evolved into
300,000 sq ft warehouse within 4 years.
Apparently they have contracts with ups and fed ex and the shipping insurance companies among other sources.

Generally new tv's with shipping damage so parts are new and tested.
I love the talk to tech feature.
Talk to tv repair guys for free and if the parts don't fix the problem, you can send them back for a full refund.

I just love the rags to riches stories.

300rman
04-20-2013, 12:40 AM
I love projectors....mainly because you can go insane on the screen size. We had a 120 inch in our small apartment, and I loved it. Might not be quite as clear as an LCD or LED, but they are pretty dang clear. Did I mention huge?

ColtonGG33
04-20-2013, 12:49 AM
The best kind of tv IMO is an led, they have the clearest tv you'll ever see, the one i have is a 55" lg led it is awesome so clear

ps2fixer
04-20-2013, 08:01 AM
My mom and dad have a projector for watching movies on, of course my dad has the sound system to go with it, never go with them crappy $200-300 surround sound systems, a standard 4 way sterio can do great if you got quality speakers and systems. Anyway, they have had the same projector for around 8 years, one of the first "HD" projectors by Hatachi. They have like 1200 hours on a 500 hour factory bulb. They paid somewhere around $1800 for it on ebay vs local stores wanted $4300 (retail price). It pays to shop around :).

I do agree LCDs are great, but make sure you get a quality brand or else you will end up having power supply issues within 5-10 years. I still view TVs as they should last 20+ years with no problems lol.

Now to go off the deep end... they are starting to make LCD projectors, that use an actual LCD instead of a lamp, which lasts something like 3000-5000 hours.

Looks like this is one of them LCD projectors, price seems right if you like projectors and don't mind a no name product (china made??). http://www.amazon.com/Projector-640x480-Pixels-Compatible-Theater/dp/B0043GJTZY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366459012&sr=1-4&keywords=home+cinema

fabiodriven
04-20-2013, 08:50 AM
I've got a 65" Mitsubishi DLP, which I guess is the modern version of rear projection. The picture is plenty good for me, but compared to other modern TV's it's not quite as crisp. I was told they use roughly one bulb a year so I had better always have one on hand. I've had the TV for about 4 years now and not changed the bulb once. The DLP's are usually fairly cheap considering their size. I would certainly buy another one.

atc007
04-20-2013, 10:38 AM
Thanx guys. At Tri agains advice,I spoke with Jimmy's. As he said,,CLASS ACTS !!! I did wait awhile for tech support,which I felt was absolutely to be expected! He ended up " guessing" it is my color wheel. I am actually leaning toward my bulb?? It LOOKS perfect,,,but it has a TON of hours on it. Yes,,,my girls watch WAY too much tv. They have MD and this is what they enjoy. I don't like it,but our tv gets a TON of hours on it. Anyhow,,I was leaning toward the Sharp Aquos 80in LED to replace this one. I found one for $2274 :) :) . Probably gonna pull the trigger. I ran it by the tech,,and he very quickly answered,,,WATCH for warping the set!! They are so damn big,and so lightly built,they warp,,on the stands OR hung. I found that very interesting and it makes complete sense to me.I'm gonna build a stand and " support" it from behind. But I still have to fix this JVC to sell it and to know I conquered it .

ps2fixer
04-20-2013, 12:14 PM
What does the JVC do (or not do)? I'm a computer tech, but have a little experience with projectors. Mainly Benq (junk) and NEC (not bad, hardly any problems).

tri again
04-20-2013, 03:42 PM
I've asked tv repair guys what to buy.
For instance, samsung is great but they made the main boards for the ($3,000.) sony that melts and shorts out.
General consensus is more of a luck of the draw.
Whomever is making tv's, get parts wherever they can, cheaper component contracts etc.
The best is a monster extended warranty BUT lots of warranties are 3rd party contracts
with lots of fine print.

A point I'm at now is to get an extra main board, or known failure parts, as a backup.
or warranty.
Consumer reports is all but useless for repairs and complaint issues.

Wish I had better info and more positive news.
edit - I like the posts about equipment that has been working for years and ez to fix.

ps2fixer
04-20-2013, 03:49 PM
That is the general trend with everything any more, most large companies will contract out for the cheapest ones willing to do the work, which normally means a crappier product. I no longer buy "USA made" cars because GM has gotten so bad in my view point. I don't mind driving a Toyota, most of them are like 40% made in the USA anyway.

atc007
04-20-2013, 05:28 PM
What does the JVC do (or not do)? I'm a computer tech, but have a little experience with projectors. Mainly Benq (junk) and NEC (not bad, hardly any problems).

Powers up at start up as usual,fan comes on,about 25 seconds into start up. The blue and red lights start flashing rapidly. The lamp program,and power lights are what are flashing. I just ordered a new lamp,$39.99. It's worth a shot,and I'll clean the color wheel if that doesn't fix it. I am not sure I hear the ballast firing. But time will tell. I'll get her whipped one way or the other!

ps2fixer
04-20-2013, 10:22 PM
Yea I would say the lamp, if it don't complete the circut for the ballast you probably won't hear it fire up. When you turn the projector can you hear the color wheel spin up? The Benqs I work on are loud as hell, but I never seen a color wheel prevent it from turning on except once when I had the color wheel exploded inside the projector and the motor couldn't spin up at all. The lights that flash sounds like a "lamp error" which should mean the lamp blew out, but if you have a user's manual it should tell you what the lights mean exactly.

atc007
04-26-2013, 05:55 PM
$39.99 and we're back in business ! It twas the lamp.

ps2fixer
04-26-2013, 08:26 PM
The lamp was only $40?! My dad's is like $500 O.o

atc007
04-26-2013, 10:07 PM
Yepp,Ebay :)

300rman
04-27-2013, 07:45 PM
Looks like this is one of them LCD projectors, price seems right if you like projectors and don't mind a no name product (china made??). http://www.amazon.com/Projector-640x480-Pixels-Compatible-Theater/dp/B0043GJTZY/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1366459012&sr=1-4&keywords=home+cinema

I challenge you to find a projector not made in china/taiwan/other cheap asian manufacturer.

atc007
04-27-2013, 08:29 PM
Man I am so stoked. This set has NEVER looked better !! Every time I get a cheaper ebay bulb,,the pic is better than the 1st time I ever turned it on !

Billy Golightly
04-28-2013, 12:26 PM
We're off topic, but I've got a Samsung DLP that tries to power off and then just shuts back down...its a big SOB too, like 57in or something. Does this sound a bulb issue as well potentially, or ? Thing has been sitting for probably close 2 years and I haven't gotten it repaired...

ps2fixer
04-28-2013, 11:27 PM
We're off topic, but I've got a Samsung DLP that tries to power off and then just shuts back down...its a big SOB too, like 57in or something. Does this sound a bulb issue as well potentially, or ? Thing has been sitting for probably close 2 years and I haven't gotten it repaired...

According to my understanding of your post, and the thread link below, it is the lamp.

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-13973_102-564226/my-samsung-dlp-tv-turns-on-the-right-back-off-help/

Looks like they might be pretty cheap on ebay.

EDIT:

According to this post with a similar problem with a free fix to try first.

http://www.fixyourdlp.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8