PDA

View Full Version : A question of engine noise

xela456
04-16-2013, 07:28 PM
as i've said in prior posts i have a clicking noise coming from my engine i kinda let my last post fade about this but i've been thinking on this a while
i put my stethiscope on it and i've found that the clicking sound is loudest from rear valve cover. i can hear chain noise i dont know wether its good or bad chain noise but i can hear it none the less
i cant seem to post a video of this from my phone but i dont know whats up with that.
what do you think would definitely fix this noise. and also what should i replace while i've got it opened up?

EDIT
Sorry its and 86 250es big red

ps2fixer
04-16-2013, 07:44 PM
Does it sound like this video at idle? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpt6CGB89dg

To me that sounds like the timing chain, you can even hear the slap in that video. My 350x sounds like the top end is knocking, but it is the timing chain on that. I never hurts to check your valve adjustments per the service manual specs, and if it is at least close, it probably would be the timing chain. You could pull the timing chain tensioner bolt out and put a small reg screw driver in it and try to tension it more, but if it is all the way in the chain needs to be replaced.

EDIT:

Next YouTube video down has the same sound as my 350x timing chain. It sounds like a tick in the top end, but is really the timing chain slapping around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6QeRQ8QuNw

xela456
04-16-2013, 07:56 PM
it soundslike the 350x but not nearly as pronounced and i can definitely hear it louder in the rear valve cover with the stethiscope

CodyRosa
04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
Honda 3 wheelers are known are that ticking on the top end.. mine ticks and everyone else i know that has one ticks. Your valves might need to be tightened. Pop that cover off and see how loose it is.. it should barely move, at all. Chain noise.. maybe cam chain is loose? Try tightening that up. Its the screw underneath the black rubber thing on the bottom end right behind the top end. You don't want that chain loose because it could skip a tooth, and well it wouldn't be good.

Woodsrider
04-17-2013, 09:44 AM
Chain noise.. maybe cam chain is loose? Try tightening that up. Its the screw underneath the black rubber thing on the bottom end right behind the top end. You don't want that chain loose because it could skip a tooth, and well it wouldn't be good.

He's got a 250 Big Red , and they have an auto-adjusting cam chain tensioner. They're not like your 200cc and 185cc manual adjust tensioners.

yaegerb
04-17-2013, 10:13 AM
Have you adjusted the timing chain and adjusted the valves? If not, I would try that.

xela456
04-17-2013, 11:10 AM
Nope I haven't done anything to it yet ill try it and see. Is the how big of a deal is it to replace the timing chain

yaegerb
04-17-2013, 01:08 PM
Nope I haven't done anything to it yet ill try it and see. Is the how big of a deal is it to replace the timing chain

alot easier to adjust the timing chain than it is to replace ;)

CodyRosa
04-17-2013, 01:23 PM
Ahh thanks woodsrider, did not know that!

big red crazy
04-21-2013, 05:20 PM
time for a new timing chain