PDA

View Full Version : 84 200es after market exhaust

Mrcurrie
04-16-2013, 07:34 PM
I recently purchased an 84 200es. Overall, the trike is in good shape, although it requires some tlc. I'm thinking about replacing the exhaust
, but I'm having trouble locating one. Any OEM system that I find seems to be quite pricey, so I thought I'd try the aftermarket route. After all, if I'm going to be spending that kind of money, I may as well get a high quality part.
Does anyone know if the FMF turbine core will work on my trike? Or have any other recommendations for that matter. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

kb0nly
04-16-2013, 09:05 PM
The only aftermarket thats a nice boltup fit is the DG brand exhaust. I have it on my 200ES, its not that expensive but it is a bit louder than stock.

https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/rcm-steel-complete-exhaust-system.p44540.prd/44540.sku

Atcpolkerson
04-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Hey Kbonly, is that the only DG exhaust that bolts up easily?

90guy
04-16-2013, 10:48 PM
I like the bassani that I put on my 83. Would bolt up to yours. But I have only seen one so far and I bought it.

AussieATC
04-16-2013, 10:58 PM
I found this one a while ago

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/DG-Performance-Exhaust-04-2107-for-Honda-ATC200ES-1984-/390486604250?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5aead0b9da&_uhb=1#ht_1501wt_1111

ps2fixer
04-16-2013, 11:03 PM
I have a used DG that is JB welded together that came on a 200es. It slips onto the factory header pipe. Let me know if you are interested, I would be looking for around $25 + shipping out of it.

90guy
04-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Yeah dg pipes are the only readily available pipes for a lot of applications. I myself will not run one on anything I own but if you are in a hurt bag and want a good exhaust because yours is shot then its a good choice.

Atcpolkerson
04-17-2013, 08:26 AM
Yes, pa2 fixer I am interested in the pipe

ps2fixer
04-17-2013, 10:12 AM
Here are some photos of the pipe. It isn't pretty, but it feels solid.

I added it to my web store at http://atcfixer.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2&products_id=58

kb0nly
04-17-2013, 10:21 AM
It is the only DG model made for the 200ES.... I don't know of any other aftermarket exhaust for them other than the DG. Some don't like them because they are a bit louder, but i will say this, compared to the rotted out stock exhaust that i had on mine and the problems i was having with it due to being partially plugged inside, the DG was a world of improvement. Power improved from the better airflow, and it finally stopped running rich and fouling because the exhaust wasn't blocking airflow anymore.

The only complaint many make is the sound is louder.. If you want anything quieter your going to have to fabricate something. You could put just about anything on it if you took the time to make it. The DG however was a 15 minute bolt up, all you need is a new exhaust gasket for the head as its not included, and then unbolt your stock and bolt on the DG. However, the DG exhaust doesn't have the standoffs for the heat shield, and i tell ya what you will be missing that heat shield after a couple rides, i know my leg was hurting from radiated heat. I got some Moose brand heat shield mounts to put the stock heat shield back on the DG pipe. Now it looks good, functions good, no problems.

ps2fixer
04-17-2013, 10:48 AM
My 250es came with a Cobra full exhaust, no heat shield as well. After it burned up some pants of mine, I found a factory heat shield and wired it on, no more problems :).

90guy
04-17-2013, 10:54 AM
It is the only DG model made for the 200ES.... I don't know of any other aftermarket exhaust for them other than the DG. Some don't like them because they are a bit louder, but i will say this, compared to the rotted out stock exhaust that i had on mine and the problems i was having with it due to being partially plugged inside, the DG was a world of improvement. Power improved from the better airflow, and it finally stopped running rich and fouling because the exhaust wasn't blocking airflow anymore.

The only complaint many make is the sound is louder.. If you want anything quieter your going to have to fabricate something. You could put just about anything on it if you took the time to make it. The DG however was a 15 minute bolt up, all you need is a new exhaust gasket for the head as its not included, and then unbolt your stock and bolt on the DG. However, the DG exhaust doesn't have the standoffs for the heat shield, and i tell ya what you will be missing that heat shield after a couple rides, i know my leg was hurting from radiated heat. I got some Moose brand heat shield mounts to put the stock heat shield back on the DG pipe. Now it looks good, functions good, no problems.
Bassani made a bolt on exhaust for the 200es back in the day... So DG isn't the only option. Only problem dg is easy to find. Bassani not so much...

Mrcurrie
04-17-2013, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I think I'm going to try a DG. The reviews seem to be mostly positive. that seems the best option.

kb0nly
04-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Bassani made a bolt on exhaust for the 200es back in the day... So DG isn't the only option. Only problem dg is easy to find. Bassani not so much...

True, you got me there, but i was speaking of current production. I saw a 200ES a couple years ago with a Bassani on it, not a bad product at all. I have seen these ATC's with just about everything you can imagine welded on for exhaust, from dirt bike exhausts to small tractor mufflers... Actually i was working on a 200ES about a year ago that they cut the stock muffler off right at the mufflers front end to leave as much pipe as possible then slid over a small tractor muffler, like a big lawn tractor muffler about 3 1/2" in diameter and about two foot long, they trimmed the output side down so the pipe was flush with the end, it looked really good and man was that damn thing SILENT... I mean it was like idling you could whisper next to it, and at full throttle it was no louder than any small engine running. If i ever have to replace my exhaust again i am going to make something quiet.

Mrcurrie
04-17-2013, 07:36 PM
The only aftermarket thats a nice boltup fit is the DG brand exhaust. I have it on my 200ES, its not that expensive but it is a bit louder than stock.

https://www.denniskirk.com/dg/rcm-steel-complete-exhaust-system.p44540.prd/44540.sku

Did you have to re-jet your carb? also, do you know if there is a spark arrestor available for this model?

kb0nly
04-17-2013, 09:06 PM
No rejetting necessary, i adjusted the mix screw just about a quarter turn and kept reading the plug to make sure it was right and it runs perfect now, good tan plug now. This could vary depending on your carb, but mine has the stock jet sizes so i doubt it will cause you trouble either.

I don't think there is a spark arrestor available for it, but if thats something you need there is universal cone shaped arrestors that you can push into the end of the exhaust, it looks like metal screen in a funnel shape and comes with a couple self tapping screws to fasten the round plate at the end of it to the back end of the muffler. I will see if i can find a link or a picture of one. I was going to buy one for mine but i don't go on state trails and don't need it.

kb0nly
04-17-2013, 09:09 PM
Here you go... This fits the RCM series which is what the 200ES exhaust is from DG. I was asked if i needed on when i ordered my exhaust but i turned it down cause of the extra cost.

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/187/46068/ITEM/DG-RCM-Replacement-Spark-Arrestor.aspx

Atcpolkerson
04-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Are there any other brands of pipes that will fit a 200es?

Atcpolkerson
04-17-2013, 09:32 PM
What does that do KBonly?

Atcpolkerson
04-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Hey KBonly, I'm thinking about putting a DG on my 200es. Does it improve performance or anything? Acceleration maybe, power?

kb0nly
04-18-2013, 02:04 AM
It does improve acceleration and power a bit, the seat o meter, aka felt in the butt performance difference, is noticeable.

The spark arrestor is just needed on state trails and parks and such to prevent fires from errant sparks from the exhaust. That screen just prevents any sparks from being thrown out.