PDA

View Full Version : difference between 250 sx and 250 es

sm04257
04-17-2013, 09:14 AM
what is the difference between these two engines, is everything the same on them both or anything different.how can you tell them apart

dougspcs
04-19-2013, 10:37 AM
The engines themselves are completely interchangeable in the two machines..my 85 250ES currently has an 87 250SX power plant.

That being said there are some minor mechanical differences that make some of the parts not interchange such as: timing chain tensioner and starter drive gears..

Also there is a minor difference in the transmission gear ratios..the SX has a slightly higher ratio that in combination with the slightly higher differential ratio accommodate the OEM tire size difference..25" on BR, 22" on SX

The only visible external difference between the two engines is that the BR engine is silver and the SX engine is black..

ShaftDrive225dx
04-19-2013, 11:11 AM
doug thats a beautifull big red there, havnt seen many in that kind of shape and i like the black wheels on it too looks sharp all around! I usualy like the sportier trikes so normaly i would go with sx over the es models but if it looks like yours ill take it over sx lol!

dougspcs
04-19-2013, 11:32 AM
doug thats a beautifull big red there, havnt seen many in that kind of shape and i like the black wheels on it too looks sharp all around! I usualy like the sportier trikes so normaly i would go with sx over the es models but if it looks like yours ill take it over sx lol!

I usually prefer the SX too..you'll probably like this 87 I scored a few months back. A lucky CL find and being quick on my feet!!

But yeah I had this rough ES..I put the wheels and tires on it and it just made it look worse. Like someone who puts bling rims on a rusted out Caprice..just drew attention to the ugly!!

So I popped in my NOS 250SX engine..the rest just came together. It's fun when guys are cheering you on..keeps the money and the momentum going..

Thanks..

ShaftDrive225dx
04-20-2013, 10:21 PM
Right on your right that sx is pretty! Yea it does give some motivation when people acknowledge your work or finds! keep on it man bike looks great.....

big red crazy
04-21-2013, 05:16 PM
only difference is the obvious sx engines are black es are silver

sm04257
04-22-2013, 06:13 AM
thanks for the info guys, the engine was painted black when i got it with a cheap paint that is now starting to peal off,it looks to be an es from what the silver is showing through

ps2fixer
04-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Get the engine number off the casting, that will tell you for sure. I don't know the numbers off hand, but I'm sure the info is out there in the internet.

I think doug covered basically everything with the differences in the engines lol.

Woodsrider
04-22-2013, 09:51 AM
I don't remember clearly, and maybe someone can add to this, but I remember having two engines apart on the bench , and I'm positive that the end of the crankshafts where the centrifugal clutch lock nuts go, were different diameters....I could not switch the lock nuts between these two engines. The part that I don't remember , is if I had two SX engines , or one of each on the bench. I found that very odd and wondered why Honda would do that. Anybody else experience this?

ps2fixer
04-22-2013, 10:11 AM
I have swapped the entire clutch assembly from a 250es (i think a 86) into a 85 250sx engine. I don't think I tried to swap the nuts, but the actual shaft size is the same, atleast it fit quite well for me lol.

ColtonGG33
04-23-2013, 01:41 AM
Isn't the 250es a big red and the sx is its own model

dougspcs
04-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Isn't the 250es a big red and the sx is its own model

Not at all..the SX is just a smaller, slightly more sporty version of the BR..

All the same engineering and mechanical design, just a different frame geometry, suspension and body style.

Anyone with a 250ES really should buy a 250SX..(or vice versa). The two machines are a great contrast of riding characteristics..

atc500x
04-23-2013, 07:37 AM
This difference is applicable to the year,sx and es 85 are the same,sx and es 86+ are the same but different from the 85
They also change the centrifugal clutch at a moment,there is 2 model of spline,

I don't remember clearly, and maybe someone can add to this, but I remember having two engines apart on the bench , and I'm positive that the end of the crankshafts where the centrifugal clutch lock nuts go, were different diameters....I could not switch the lock nuts between these two engines. The part that I don't remember , is if I had two SX engines , or one of each on the bench. I found that very odd and wondered why Honda would do that. Anybody else experience this?

atc500x
04-23-2013, 07:42 AM
Are you sure the engine are exaclty the same? Pretty sure the trany have a different ratio on the 2 first gear

dougspcs
04-23-2013, 08:37 AM
Are you sure the engine are exaclty the same? Pretty sure the trany have a different ratio on the 2 first gear

Actually the ratio is slightly different thru all the gears.

But not enough to stop an SX motor from working great in an ES..

ps2fixer
04-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Anyone with a 250ES really should buy a 250SX..(or vice versa). The two machines are a great contrast of riding characteristics..

I agree, the SX is really fun for trail riding, while the ES is a bit slower (around 50 pounds heavier), but seems to handle off roading a little better (wider).

Fink
04-23-2013, 10:16 PM
wish the es had black engine

ps2fixer
04-23-2013, 10:32 PM
wish the es had black engine

You can always paint it :P.