PDA

View Full Version : Gas Tank Rust and Associated Problem Prevention

HamptonT
04-21-2013, 11:32 PM
It is my understanding that, along with others, Honda ATC tanks have a history of rusting through and developing leaks. I have two 1980 ATC's. One has what looks to be a perfect tank and one has some slight surface rust on the inside. How do I keep them that way?
There must be a reason that some tanks corrode faster than others. Other than simply leaving it outside in the weather.
One thought was that some people run their tanks empty before longer storage. Or it just happens to be near empty before putting away. And some people use a gas stabilizer for longer term storage.
My theory is that having gas in the tank is probably better than having an empty tank sitting. What do you think?
Also, it may have something to do with the tank vent. It would be very easy to forget to close the vent. Leaving it open could allow moisture inside the tank.
Any thoughts or comments?

Knowsalot
04-22-2013, 01:47 AM
I'm with you,..more fuel in the tank and less ventilation to collect moisture. But in my experience it seems that region climates and the variety of fuels in these regions make a big difference as well.

fastatc70
04-22-2013, 09:01 PM
I was thinking about the vent and possibly condensation from high humidity and fast temp swing from leaving it outside.
I have a bunch of rusty and rotted tanks. I have a local radiator shop sand blast and coat the tank with this stuff called red coat. They also repair leaks after sand blasting. All this work for 50 bucks!!

weedan01
04-28-2013, 02:37 PM
Meradic Acid will clean out rust and old gas. Unless very light, it will rust again. I would use Redcote to line it. Some shops sandblast inside of tanks but I never do unless there is a previous liner. Redcote will last for years. Do not use Kreem liner, its junk.