PDA

View Full Version : '84 200s help?

billbertking1
04-23-2013, 11:54 AM
Hello there. I am new, and recently got a 200s. My father bought it for me and my older brother (I am not an adult, just an early teen) after he got himself a 350x. We are having problems with the compression release on it and with that, not being able to start it because it's almost breaking our arms, and my right arm is sore and we haven't had it a week yet. Does anybody know how to fix the compression release? Yesterday we fouled it because of it. We also oiled it.

Thanks in advance! :)

dougspcs
04-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Not sure what is going on with your compression release, but then if the 200s is properly tuned it should start in 2 pulls tops cold and 1/2 pull warmed up even without it.

I think you should concentrate on that problem..

Fresh gas in the tank, fresh spark plug, carb cleaning and maybe a compression test make sure the engine is healthy..

My 12 year old daughter could start my 185s and it didn't even have a compression release cable from the pull start connected.

Your machine has other issues son.

Joel Morgan
04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Is the engine even turning over when you pull on it? Your recoil may be messed on the inside. Try taking the pull start apart and make sure all the springs are okay.

ebaccm26
04-23-2013, 08:04 PM
I'm sure you are probably not going to be too happy about it but dougspcs is absolutely right and you need to make sure everything else is working smoothly. I have a 200s that is pretty rough, smokes a bit, etc. but it still starts 2 pulls or less when cold no matter what without the release. You shouldn't have to worry too much though, those engines are very reliable and if you had it started before I would guess the problem is nothing some fine tuning won't fix.

200s 7c
04-24-2013, 03:35 PM
I have an 84 200s as well and i took the compression release completely off and i have no problems starting mine....it pulls over about just as hard as normal

Jfm0
04-24-2013, 04:32 PM
We have a 200s and I wasn't able to find any information on the compression release either. After just about pulling my arm out of the socket I decided to concentrate on the carb. After a rebuild the thing starts up on the first pull. I do have to pull the spark plug out every couple of weeks and use the wire wheel on it, though. Like these guys said, look at the mechanical aspects so you only have to pull it once!

billbertking1
04-30-2013, 02:19 AM
We just put a brand new carburetor on it, and me and my brother always have problems when cold, but our dad starts it right up. I think 1 problem is we're not strong enough to get past compression release. We've pulled the pull rope off and compression release; everything is fine. It starts up much easier when warm though.

We've fouled it before, and just so happened to get video of our neighbor trying to start it when fouled. It was hilarious when the compression release got to him like it did us. We just so happen to be very good at fouling it. I'm going to look for new compression release and see if that helps. Hopefully it does!

barnett468
04-30-2013, 03:06 AM
Hello

Something else you can try for now that is quick and easy is to retard the ign timing slightly. This may make the pull easier. You can also check the timing with a timing lite. Click on the blue line below then click on atc 200s manual. The oil is obviously a sign of another problem as previously mentioned, probably rings.

Does it smoke while under acceleration?

If so what color is it white/lite gray or black.

OEM MANUAL SEE TIMING SECTION PG 195

http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC200S%2F