PDA

View Full Version : YZ80 clutch problem.

SoCalDesertRider
12-17-2003, 08:46 PM
Hey guys, the '87 YZ80's clutch does not want to disengage. It worked fine all last year, then the last time I rode it, I kept having to adjust the cable tighter and tighter to pull it far enough to disengage the clutch. Then I loaned it to my friend and now it doesnt work at all. I put on a brand new lever and perch and cable and still no matter how tight I adjust the cable, it will not disengage the clutch. The motor runs and I rode it without the clutch the other day. I even took the cable off the clutch arm on the engine and turned the arm with a wrench and it does not disengage, so its not the cable or lever. I have been using the same tranny oil in it as I use in the 250R, Honda synthetic gear oil 80/85 for CR engines in the red bottle. I change the oil in it very frequently, after every other ride. Every time I change it, I dont notice anything unusual in the old oil, like metal debris. It always looks good. Could using this oil have something to do with it, llike causing the plates to stick to eachother, or do u think there is a problem with maybe the clutch actuator arm/cam thing inside the engine or something along those lines? The clutch did not slip or chatter before this happened.

YTZ250#1
12-17-2003, 09:37 PM
It is possable that the plates are sticking together,But I would think the rod or the ball inside that activate the clutch are wore out or broke,bent.

TimSr
12-17-2003, 10:07 PM
With the cover off, you should be able to see the plates spread when you pull the clutch. Im not familiar with oil you mentioned, but too heavy of an oil will cause this problem. Regular 85W gear lube will ceratinly do it, but most of the motorcycle "gear oils" that say 85W pour like they are 30W, and dont give you this problem, but a bottle of regular 10w30 will easily test that theory. Another possible cause is heavy grooving in the clutch basket. the grovves form in a V shape, and as the fiber tabs move forward, they also gets pushed to one side engaging the plates. The only other possibility I can think of, which Ive never seen, is a chunk of something stuck between clutch disks.