PDA

View Full Version : 1985 350x project

ride.redatc350x
04-23-2013, 11:38 PM
So. Last year for my birthday my dad gave me his 85' 350x.
I romped it and fell in love with Trikes. I decided this year that it needed a makeover (I did some damage learning to ride it)

So I started by buying a new frame. My other one was cracked from the origional owner. I got it powder coated, bought new forks and fork boots, oil filter, headlight, tail light, grab bar and replacement plastics in general.
What I still need is fork seals, swing arm bearings and steering stem & axle bearings and the air scoop gas tank plastics.
Does anyone know a good, affordable, quality place to get these?

RIDE-RED 250r
04-23-2013, 11:55 PM
Hey there and welcome aboard! :beer

Great way to get into 3-wheeling, Dad passing his 350x on to his son. :)

For the every day parts like bearings and whatnot, I usually get my parts from Rocky Mountain ATV. They have very competitive prices and orders over $100 get free shipping.

Now, I know that the '86 350x uses the same axle bearing as the '85-'86 ATC250r. Which consequently is the same axle bearing as at least the '86-'87 TRX250r. So, keep that in mind when you start looking up parts. Some distributors may not list the 350x for axle bearings.... Just order a set for the 250r. I know from personal experience (with the double width bearings anyway) that '86/'87 TRX250r bearings are the same as the 350x. I am not 100% sure about your '85 though, I'm sure someone that does know for sure will step in and clarify....

For some of the other OEM model specific things, you will want to watch the classifieds here on 3ww when you gain full access to the site. Lots of good people on here buying and selling good parts, and pretty much always quite a bit cheaper than ebay.

The site has the 3ww Parts Shop. I would have to look, but I'm pretty sure a member sells nylon swingarm bushings for the 350x. I bought a set for my 250r and LOVE them! They are guaranteed not to wear out and are the same cost as conventional needle bearings with none of the hassle associated with needle bearings. No more stuck pivot bolts, not more stubborn spacers to drive in and out. Easy-peasy and highly recommended if they make them for your ride!

You should be able to source your fork seals through Rocky Mountain ATV.

Steering stem bearings... not sure on that one.. Possibly Rocky may have them too.

Air scoops... Check out Maiers website and see of they still make them. If they do, then it's just a matter of finding a distributor, or buy direct and pay more.

Hope this is helpful to you!

ride.redatc350x
04-24-2013, 12:39 AM
Wait, so instead of bearings for the swingarm I can use bushings? What's the difference?

jb2wheels
04-24-2013, 10:54 AM
RockyMountain ATV has the stem bearings, too. They also have the tank scoops from Maier.

Don't know about swingarm bushings vs bearings. I've read good things about the bushings, though, and the seller guarantees you can't wear them out. I'm considering a set for my 86 when it goes back together.

RIDE-RED 250r
04-24-2013, 04:55 PM
Available right here on the 3ww Shop. http://shop.3wheelerworld.com/productdetails.php?productid=147

I installed a set in my '85 250r I just got running over the winter. Installation is easy, and with the guarantee they will never wear out how can you go wrong. Plus they run the same price if not cheaper than conventional needle bearings that WILL wear out and are a much bigger PIA to replace. Besides, you will be supporting the 3ww community buying parts from the shop where you can.