PDA

View Full Version : Swing arm Bushings Vs. Bearings

ride.redatc350x
04-24-2013, 05:08 PM
I am curious about swing arm bushings. i have heard some good things about them, but i have some questions.
Would you need to lubricate them?
i heard sometimes they are too large, what do you do then?
Wont there not be as much movement in the swingarm, compared to bearings?
I am rebuilding my 350x and had to drill out my part bike's swing arm bolt, these bushings wont seize up like bearings will they?
just another question, does anyone make or have a swing arm bolt for an 85' 350x they might want to sell?

Xfile
04-24-2013, 10:05 PM
I bought a pair of bushing for my 85 200X a few years ago...I know a lot of guys like them, my opinion is there OK, but i prefer the OEM bearings and went back to them. First of all, OEM bearings don't don't just seize up...they get like that from 25 years of lack of maintenance and grease. Swing arm bearings need regular maintenance just like any other wear item. I don't do much water or mud riding, so I clean and re-pack the swing arm bearings every fall, they always come apart nice and easy just like they should. The OEM bearings will have little to no play in them if they are maintained properly. The bushings need to be ground down a bit to fit snug between the frame, they do not need lubrication. The issue I had with them is they began to develop side to side rock within a month or so and it bothered me. I do a lot of jumping and ledge drops so Im sure that contributed to it. Never an issue with OEM bearings as long as I take care of them. Bottom line for me is they both work, my opinion is the OEMs are better. I hope this helps you and good luck.