PDA

View Full Version : 1983 Honda Big Red Electric Starter not working

Social Torture
04-24-2013, 10:58 PM
I was playing with the Big Red Death Machine today, and I was able to get it drivable again. It runs good and I replaced the leaky front tire.

The headlight works on both high and low beam. I don't know about the taillight yet because it's not hooked up. The charging system checks out.

The electric starter does not work at the moment. Is there anything I should look at before the starter? Could it be could it be the neutral safety switch? If so, is there a way to circumvent it? Is there anything else I should look at?

I am not an experience mechanic by any means, but I am mechanically inclined and good with my hands, so I learn quickly. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dave8338
04-25-2013, 12:04 AM
Start with a GOOD cleaning of all the connections (there are only a dozen or so) and clean them WELL. Treat them to a dab of dielectric grease and pay special attention to the grounds. Cycle the starter button 20-30 times, and hit it with a shot of WD 40 on the inside of the housing and repeat. Make sure that you have a full charge on the battery and clean the contacts on the kill switch...

Report back

Social Torture
04-25-2013, 07:05 AM
As soon as it stops raining/snowing, I'll do that Dave8338. I'll give you all a sit rep after I give everything a good cleaning.

Social Torture
04-27-2013, 07:29 PM
I cleaned all the connections and switches, and I put dielectric grease on them. After I did that, I noticed that the wires on the starter button are frayed.

In all honesty, not having an electric starter doesn't bother me too much. It starts on the first pull, every time, and with ease.

barnett468
04-28-2013, 01:25 AM
Hello

You can also ground the neutral switch then try it. If it works then your neutral switch is bad.