PDA

View Full Version : Suzuki Samurai stuff

fabiodriven
04-25-2013, 11:26 AM
I'm going to look at a Suzuki Samurai today. It might be for me, but I might have my buddy driving it for a while. Long story short, my broad's moving out and this guy is moving in. He uses his girl's car right now, but she's not making the cut either.

I know what I'm looking at in general. I am a vehicle inspector by trade and I look at cars and trucks all day every day. What I am looking for are the specifics on what to look for with these particular vehicle. The common issues. Like the Wranglers that rot the frames, the GM pickups that the rear cross member rots out of, those common things that each vehicle is known for. Not ball joints and tires, I know how to look at that stuff. What I'm looking for are the particular idiosyncrasies of this particular vehicle.

Thank you.

fabiodriven
04-25-2013, 01:12 PM
Long story short, my broad's moving out and this guy is moving in.

It has been brought to my attention how gay this looks. Lol. Let me assure anyone who may be thinking this that there will be anything but gay shenanigans going on. My buddy and I have known each other our whole lives and we are absolutely going to slay it this summer with the dames. We both do quite well in that department so it's going to be pretty rowdy. Lol

roostin atc
04-25-2013, 01:23 PM
It did seem a little gay there for a moment. You had me worried. My neighbors have a samurai parts rig. So if you do get it let me know if you need a part. I may be able to help.

hoosierlogger
04-25-2013, 03:31 PM
It has been brought to my attention how gay this looks.

Damn you caught it before I got to make a smart arse remark.

Jason125m
04-25-2013, 04:53 PM
I had 3 of these for 7 years as bush vehicles. They were in pretty nice shape, great for offroading. Thought about driving it on the road, took it for a test drive.... No balls, and very rough and loud inside. Decided against it. Anywho, I love these things as offroad vehicles. The computers blew on 2 of them, and on the other one the frame rotted out around the front shock mounts. Bullet proof motors, but their electronics could use a little bit of an improvement.

Keep in mind, this is probably a useless post, as these were offroad vehicles for working, hauling, playing. I'm sure they would of survived longer if they were driven on the road.

However, they are great on gas with their little 4 cylinder motor.

What year are you looking at ?

fabiodriven
04-25-2013, 05:24 PM
It's an 87 Jason, and thank you.

90guy
04-25-2013, 05:27 PM
Prob another useless post. But my buddy has his lifted 6.5" and drives it on and offload. The only real problems he has had with his are the carb and axel seals. And then all the typical vehicle problems. I know when he bought it. It had rust around the mounts for the rear seats where they mount inside.

belly
04-25-2013, 11:32 PM
These are great running rigs! Look for rust around the back cab mounts by the tires. See when the timing belt was changed last. Should be done every 60k on these motors. Also, make sure the harmonic balancer pulley isn't wobbling. The woodruff key sometime wallows out. It's a no clearance engine, hence the 60k timing belt change. Another thing is to make sure it has operational door handles. lol. sounds dumb but they are extremely hard to find. They do look pretty gay when they're in stock form but with a spoa lift and some decent tires makes it more manly. Me and a buddy use to rock crawl a sammi and a sidekick. get it if the price is right and join the cult.

tulsamike3434
04-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Believe it or not there is a HUGE community of Suzuki Samurai collectors! Lot's of helpful forums! Like This One!

fabiodriven
04-26-2013, 10:15 AM
Thing was a total rotbox. It was worth the trip though to catch up with a friend outside of work. I'd still love to get one of these rigs someday, but the prices just continue to go up.

Thank you all for the replies.