PDA

View Full Version : 1981 act 200

NickN
05-01-2013, 11:42 AM
Guys, Need advice!!

I have just, well almost completed a restoration of my 1981 Honda ATC200.

In my first test run, I noticed the gear shifter seems to be skipping, missing, or not functioning correctly. It shifts perfectly from neutral down to first. However, it will not go into 2nd, 3rd, etc.

Things I have already tired...
1- the shifter is not slipping on the shaft
2- I have adjusted the clutch bolt to decrease up/down range of shifter - helped a little

Therefore, is it possible the clutch lifter is not engaging the gearshift spindle? When I reassembled this part, I thought it may be possible to slip. Then again, would this be the case since it easily goes into first and back to neutral? Also, the parts were not worn or out of spec. Actually, the 3-wheeler only had 900 hours since 1981!

Please don't tell me I have the forks out of order, that would suck!!! Could it be the clutch plates? Did not replace, they were in spec still.
All washers and bearings were replaced with new ones.

Last question, in 1981, this model had the kill switch located on top of the throttle assembly. I need one of the 3 springs for the red switch? Any ideas?

Any help would be great!!

NickN
05-01-2013, 11:46 AM
Sorry guys, just noticed thread title says act instead of atc... not sure how to correct the threat title.

ATC NUT
05-01-2013, 09:11 PM
Post some pictures My second ATC was a 81 200...Got it new for Christmas that year

NickN
05-02-2013, 07:26 AM
Will do. Not quite finished with all the plastics but I will take and post progress.

FYI, I repaired all the holes in the gas tank and powder coated the tank and front A-Frame with Passion Red. Looks brand new. I haven't installed all the new decals, but I was able to get all original decals. I will apply these once all paint work is complete.