PDA

View Full Version : KLT 160 axle

THUNDERCLEESE
05-01-2013, 10:28 PM
well, somehow I managed to shear off the axle on my 85 KLT 160. It sheared inside the housing right between a bearing. I have rode this machine for over a year and did not see this as a weak spot. I had a complete axle in the attic and installed it today. Should I do anything different to keep this one from breaking? Parts are getting scarce and I don't want to break another one.

barnett468
05-02-2013, 01:27 AM
Hello

That's rare to happen I wouldn't worry about the spare one. There is nothing to change to prevent it other than don't put 400 lbs on it.

THUNDERCLEESE
05-02-2013, 07:29 PM
well, it did have 2 people on it when it broke. I have had 2 people on it several times before. My brother has put 3 on his yamaha and has not had any problems.

barnett468
05-02-2013, 11:05 PM
Hello

somehow I managed to shear off the axle on my 85 KLT 160.

That's rare to happen. There is nothing to change to prevent it other than don't put 400 lbs on it.

well, it did have 2 people on it when it broke. I have had 2 people on it several times before.

I believe in the riding instructions section of the orig Kawi owners manuals it might have said, “DON’T CARRY PASSENGERS” but I’m not sure. On page 20 of the Honda manual below it says “ALWAYS RIDE WITH YOUR FEET ON THE PEGS”. Well since there is only ONE set of pegs I personally think that any REASONABLE person would deduce that, that statement meant “DON’T CARRY PASSENGERS”.

Just curious, what was the approximate total weight you had on it?

xxxxx

My brother has put 3 on his yamaha and has not had any problems.

You didn’t have any problems until yours broke either did you? I can only guess that if his axle breaks while he is riding someone on it and they get SERIOUSLY injured that there just might be a lawsuit coming his way.

Buy a Yamaha, since you seem to think it’s better.
xxxxx

RIDING INSTRUCTIONS PG 20

http://www.kb0nly.info/ATC/index.php?dir=ATC110%2F

THUNDERCLEESE
05-02-2013, 11:14 PM
I understand it was not meant to hold more than one person. Total weight was probably 350. I am just wondering why the weak spot was in the thickest part of the axle? I would have thought the weak spot would have been in the splines or in the ring and pinion, or even the tranny.

barnett468
05-03-2013, 01:10 AM
I understand it was not meant to hold more than one person. Total weight was probably 350. I am just wondering why the weak spot was in the thickest part of the axle? I would have thought the weak spot would have been in the splines or in the ring and pinion, or even the tranny.

Hello

LOL I knew it, that's ok I'm may or may not be guilty of doing similar things in the PAST too. Just can't seem to remember right now.

Xln't question. It is complicated to explain and involves an enormous amount of math. Each case is different but the theory is universal. Something is most likely to fail at the weakest point. The axles are actually intentionally designed to flex and since it can't flex at the axle housing this is the weakest point in YOUR particular case. If you notice you most axles are tapered, thin on the outside and thick on the inside. this is because the load gets PROGRESSIVELY greater the closer to the axle housing you get. they taper them partially because it saves on weight and mfg costs [less material used]. They don't want to waste material where it isn't needed! Pretty cool huh?

THUNDERCLEESE
05-04-2013, 07:49 PM
that makes sense. I guess I will keep the weight off of it from now on.