PDA

View Full Version : Getting to know my YFZ all over again

LonesomeTriZ
05-02-2013, 10:33 AM
I bought my YFZ brand new in 2005. I only rode it a few times and all the maintenance that was done was part of the deal when I bought it. So I have never taken a wrench to it myself. The last time I rode it was in early 2009 when I came home for a week from Iraq. Since then it has been sitting in my well insulated shed waiting. I pulled it out the other day because I am tired of looking at it. I want to get back on the trails and enjoy this beautiful creature. Anyhoo, this thing is in need of not only some overdue routine maintenance but I also have to address the normal stuff from sitting a long time. I have the battery on a charger but I doubt it will take a charge. I drained all the gas from it before I parked it, so I am hoping the carb is good. The air filter is nasty and I am addressing that. I went ahead and pulled the plastic just to so I can see what is going on underneath. With the exception of the hole shots on the rear everything on the quad is stock. I have changed nothing and do not plan to for now. Are there any YFZ specific things I should know? Are there any issues from the 2005 model I should address? This engine as sat cold for four years, no oil registered on the dipstick. Is that normal? I have already corrected an issue with the rear parking brake, but are there any other brake issues I should be aware of? Pretty much anything you all can think of that might be helpful I would like to know.

rdlsz24
05-02-2013, 11:12 AM
Early YFZ's were prone to the crank locking up. If you are planning on keeping it a while I would look into the oil upgrade

http://www.jtatv.com/YAMAHA_YFZ450_OIL_UPGRADE_p/ou-100.htm

Rob

hippyplz
05-02-2013, 11:35 AM
The oil tank will drain into the motor over time just sitting there. Just drain it and put 1qt back in the motor and 1 in the oil tank. If you end up cleaning the carb don't use any kind of carb cleaner on the slide, i have been told there is some sort of special coating on the slide that it eats off and causes throttle sticking problems. Other than that i would just go through and make sure all the bearings/bushing are tight and fully greased.

LonesomeTriZ
05-02-2013, 12:19 PM
I was wondering what the oild mod is I have heard about. I cannot spend that kind of money right now though.

Well, I pulled the air filter ti clean it and ut fell apart. Any suggestions on an aftermarket filter that will not hurt too much to buy?

I also drained the oil and it looked new. No milk or metal shavings to be found. I am glad to hear the oil just drain bck in. I was worried about that.

shortline10
05-02-2013, 04:01 PM
The long spark plug cap combination coil is a horrible design IMO and about every other one that comes threw my shop needs replaced . The vibrations these motors make causes the coil to wear and short out . Expensive part .

Tri-Z 250
05-02-2013, 05:04 PM
The oil tank will drain into the motor over time just sitting there. Just drain it and put 1qt back in the motor and 1 in the oil tank. If you end up cleaning the carb don't use any kind of carb cleaner on the slide, i have been told there is some sort of special coating on the slide that it eats off and causes throttle sticking problems. Other than that i would just go through and make sure all the bearings/bushing are tight and fully greased.

FCR carbs have a small o-ring(rubber)facing the motor side on the slide(which has 4wheels it travels on). This little ring swells when cleaner hits it and causes excessive air to pass by. I had a lot of popping going on after cleaning it after winter, not knowing...I learned the hard way. The Dealer actually told me about this as I purchased a new o-ring. Problem solved

LonesomeTriZ
05-02-2013, 09:14 PM
Is there a fix for the coil issue?

I am glad you all brought that up. I would have sprayed cleaner in it.