PDA

View Full Version : Any track builders or racers input??

Dirtcrasher
05-02-2013, 08:37 PM
I've done well, moved about 50-60 yards out back. I'll post up some pics later.....

I want a row of whoops about 2.5 ft tall or one backhoe loaders capacity, maybe 3 yards.

I'm just asking about how far I should space them apart.

I'd like to blitz them so I'm thinking 6' - 8' or less on center for a 25 yard run.

Thanks for any help!!

atc007
05-03-2013, 10:28 AM
Sounds about right. Main thing I ALWAYS try to keep in mind is a safe escape. When things go wrong,,no jagged unlandable edges etc.. Mainly talking about landings here. Which your track WAS pretty good for your old engine lol. You said you were flat landing now,and that was VERY obvious by just putting around it! For a personal track,where you're jamming lap after lap,day after day. You want it FUN,and SAFE . As you know. Just that one little rough edge is all it takes to be eating dirt. Can't wait to see your finished product with some hot laps !!!!

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2013, 03:26 PM
^ Thanks Bill, I'm pretty happy with what I have done so far. And pulling out 50-100lb rocks is making me sore so it must be some sort of a workout.

The track is very safe, no do or die double, well, maybe one jump of death :lol:

I'm just wondering about the whoop section.......

atc007
05-03-2013, 04:53 PM
You have done an awesome job for sure. I'm not a whoop guy lol. Flattrack,TT,MX or woods. Can't wait to see what you come up with. And you and I both know,, Those rocks aren't half the work a 20 minute moto is :) they're just getting you limbered up lol.

SWIGIN
05-03-2013, 05:11 PM
I always loved whoops and could hammer through them with the fastest guys in 250-open A class....or better...

I had whoops at my track several times over the years but we always tear them out after a year or two, they just get beat and are hard to maintain.

I'm a skimmer, I have skimmed all sizes of whoops from waist high and down but this was on my quad. I don't think a trike will react the same when skimming.

For decent knee high whoops I wouldn't go farther then 6' apart, if you go farther then you have a rhythm section instead of whoops.

Everyone attacks whoops sections differently, I like to skim, just lean back and pin it and let that HRE chassis and PEP suspension eat that stuff up.

But like I said once the novelty wares off you might want to just tear them out especially for a fun/practice track.

EDIT...

I forgot to say that for a real nice whoop section you should be at least 2 buckets wide. It is real easy to get out of shape and you 'll need to room. They are also a GREAT place to pass slower riders so keep that in mind. My whoops were 20' wide and we would have 3 full width quads across them...fun!

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2013, 07:26 PM
Thanks SWIGIN, my loader is just 2"s shy of 7.5'

Once I dump the bucket full, it will end up being about 9' across. Is that enough??

I bought a whole new seat for the backhoe so that should help some from the 3"s of plain foam I was bouncing on :lol:

atc007
05-03-2013, 08:51 PM
Sorta my thought. Great to beat ya up and keep in shape..but for FUN,,,I don't know.

SWIGIN
05-03-2013, 08:56 PM
9' wide will be tight for 2 but great for 1.

rray62
05-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I've got mine set at 9' apart crest to crest and 3' tall, but that's also to accommodate bike, trike, and quad. When I built mine I made them nice and round at first, that way I could get an idea of how fast I could accelerate out of the turn and how much speed I could carry, then I changed the steepness. Get with me at Trikefest and I'll give you some dimensions of the big stuff :naughty:

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Hey enter the place and turn right; We will be right there on your left (1st camp) with Raffa. HOWDY (Hope he comes) and Jeswhinehart. Just off the road.........

Can't wait to see you again Rob!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TY.........

Dirtcrasher
05-03-2013, 10:04 PM
So.........I guess you plan to win!

IDK I just wanna hang with you and the wifeee again!

Sounds like 8 feet wide is fine and maybe 6-7' and I will place them about 8' apart.

I have 40 yds left but I can go back and hound the guys for more..........

THANKS GUYS!